Helpful Links

$50 Plan/How can you find out if your phone will work?

Contributor

$50 Plan/How can you find out if your phone will work?

I am wanting to start getting the $50 plan. I have had the $60 for several years now. Is there any place that I can go to that will tell me if my phone will work with the $50 plan.  All it says is "certain phones".  When I was on a regular plan....I had internet capability.  I don't want to get this plan and it not work on my phone.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
Scholar

Re: $50 Plan/How can you find out if your phone will work?

All GSM phones should work with the $50 unlimited plan. There's just the limitation that smarphones can't take advantage of the unlimited internet and would still need to add a data feature package if you need 3G data (it's optional so if your phone has wi-fi, you could just use that and not sign up for a data package). As for those considered smartphones, basically that's Android, Blackberry, iOS and Windows Phone 7 currently.

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks, I really appreciate it!!!

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

hnzw_rui wrote:

All GSM phones should work with the $50 unlimited plan. There's just the limitation that smarphones can't take advantage of the unlimited internet and would still need to add a data feature package if you need 3G data (it's optional so if your phone has wi-fi, you could just use that and not sign up for a data package). As for those considered smartphones, basically that's Android, Blackberry, iOS and Windows Phone 7 currently.

Hnzw_Rui is absolutely right on all counts.

AT&T does not define explicitly "smartphone" on their Terms of Service.  But we deduced, by comparing "GoPhone" and  "SmartPhone/PDA" phones offered by the market, that the one and only distinguishing "smartphone" feature was the OS.

1.  If the OS is any of {Android, Apple iOS, BlackBerry OS, Windows Mobile 7} then it is a "smartphone"

2.  Otherwise, then it is a "proprietary OS", and considered not a smarphone.

So if your are using a Samsung or HTC running something other than (1) above, then you can use unlimited data under the $50-month unlimited talk/text/data plan.

Here is  the original thread on this: http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Lesson-Learned-When-is-a-Phone-a-Smartphone-under-PrePaid/m-p/28438...

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support