4g speed on my Infuse

Tutor

4g speed on my Infuse

I live in northeast Pa and don't see any difference in speed from my captivate to my infuse. I did speed test on phone from att site but what speeds should I be getting? Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 11 (468 Views)

Re: 4g speed on my Infuse

nade1958 wrote:
I live in northeast Pa and don't see any difference in speed from my captivate to my infuse. I did speed test on phone from att site but what speeds should I be getting? Thanks for any help.

A lot of areas don't have the upgraded HSPA+ towers or backhaul connections yet.

Message 2 of 11 (398 Views)
Scholar

Entropy512 wrote:

nade1958 wrote:

A lot of areas don't have the upgraded HSPA+ towers or backhaul connections yet.

I live in South East PA, close to Philly and I still don't see it the difference either.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought ATT for the Philly area was hoping for the TMobile deal to go through so it could use it's network around here instead of installing new in this area. (which has hit a nasty snag eh?)

Message 3 of 11 (374 Views)
Master

nade1958 wrote:

True 4G speeds will still be spotty at this time. The biggest difference is to look at the upload speed (nothing to do with 4G speed actually). On your Captivate, your upload will be capped at around 200 to 300 kbps. New 4G phones (with proper firmware that uncapped upload speed), you can see upload speeds up to 1mbps.

In general, 3G phones can reach 2 to 3 mbps download speed max. 4G  phones should be higher than that but in most cases, they don't.

Message 4 of 11 (370 Views)
Tutor

Thanks everyone for the replies. I spoke with an Att rep and he said not to expect real 4g service for another year...grrrrr

Message 5 of 11 (346 Views)
Master

If that rep was speaking of the 4G LTE network that ATT just turned on in the first five cities, the Samsung Infuse will never be able to access it. The phone doesn't have the necessary radio hardware.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 11 (328 Views)
Scholar

Which att phones do have 4G LTE?

Even the GSII wont be LTE?
Message 7 of 11 (325 Views)
Master

No current ATT phones have the LTE radio. Only the HTC Jetstream and some USB modems have the LTE radio hardware.

I am not positive, but I believe that the upcoming Galaxy SII won't have the LTE radio either. Just HSPA+
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 11 (321 Views)
Scholar

From what I see the GSII wont have LTE either.
Message 9 of 11 (317 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

From what I read today, AT&T just started field testing LTE version of the GS2. So, it will be Q4 or early next year release. However, the LTE version comes with Qualcomm 1.5GHz dual-core CPU which is benchmarked slower than the 1.2 GHz found on current GS2. The reason behind is that Samsung has to use Qualcomm SoC in order to pair with LTE chip that is also from Qualcomm.

BTW, that's the same Qualcomm CPU that will be fitted inside T-Mobile's version of GS2.

Message 10 of 11 (300 Views)
Master

nade1958 wrote:
That's right, your area most likely does not have the quoted "4G" network yet at this time. I wouldn't expect to see any speeds faster than the normal 3G that your Captivate would have gotten anyway.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 11 of 11 (227 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.