4S Yellow Screen Tint Issue

Teacher

4S Yellow Screen Tint Issue

Today I played with my friend's week-old 4S 32GB Black iPhone. It was AWFUL!

The screen had a distinct yellowish hue and it appeared washed out with a real lack of contrast. Forget viewing it in bright light!

He called me and his voiced sounded very coarse, raspy and digital compared to his 3GS which has a full, rich natural sound.

Instead of waiting for my 4S 16GB $199 iPhone, I went to the AT&T store and bought a new $99 8GB 4 with a nice bright, crisp, contrasty color screen. No yellow for me.

Funny. I looked at their display 4S and it looked better than their 4 and 3GS right next to it. All brightness settings were max. Baffling!

When I read the Apple iPhone hardware forum, it's filled with pages of complaints about yellow 4S screens. Glad it isn't just me or my glasses!

See you when the 5 comes out....

Message 1 of 7 (757 Views)
Professor

Re: 4S Yellow Screen Tint Issue

flyprivate wrote:

Today I played with my friend's week-old 4S 32GB Black iPhone. It was AWFUL!

The screen had a distinct yellowish hue and it appeared washed out with a real lack of contrast. Forget viewing it in bright light!

He called me and his voiced sounded very coarse, raspy and digital compared to his 3GS which has a full, rich natural sound.

Instead of waiting for my 4S 16GB $199 iPhone, I went to the AT&T store and bought a new $99 8GB 4 with a nice bright, crisp, contrasty color screen. No yellow for me.

Funny. I looked at their display 4S and it looked better than their 4 and 3GS right next to it. All brightness settings were max. Baffling!

When I read the Apple iPhone hardware forum, it's filled with pages of complaints about yellow 4S screens. Glad it isn't just me or my glasses!

See you when the 5 comes out....

my screen is clear and no yellowtint to it. time to make a appointment with the Genius bar.

Message 2 of 7 (753 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Agreed. The color temperature is a tiny bit warmer on the 4S vs the 4, but nothing close to yellow.

I just remembered I immediately returned the iPhone 4 I got at the Apple store last year and they gave me a new one.  Even the guy at the apple store could see the yellow.

If I remember right, there was some speculation that the glue used in the screen starts yellow and clears up after a few days.  Maybe the ones manufactured more recently haven't lost they yellow yet.

I wouldn't chance it.  Take it in.  At least have them compare the screen to a new one or two in the store.

Message 3 of 7 (747 Views)
Master

While the screen is definitely a little warmer in color than my iPhone 4, it doesn't have a yellow tint to it. If that were my 4S I'd take it into Apple and get them to look at it.

Message 4 of 7 (709 Views)
Master

The yellow tint is the adhesive drying.  The phones will clear up in a few days of use as the glue cures.  This happened last time too with the iPhone 4's.  Give it a week and if if does not go away see Apple.  They are selling the phones as fast as they can make them and they are not curring fully when recieved.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 7 (572 Views)
Professor

youngjm wrote:

The yellow tint is the adhesive drying.  The phones will clear up in a few days of use as the glue cures.  This happened last time too with the iPhone 4's.  Give it a week and if if does not go away see Apple.  They are selling the phones as fast as they can make them and they are not curring fully when recieved.

+1  wait and see. if the yellow tint is still there after a week then go back to apple.

Message 6 of 7 (495 Views)
Highlighted
Master

"Assuming it's a glue issue, the problem should resolve itself before too long. If it remains, then affected iPhone 4S owners will want to drop by their local Apple stores to talk to the techs at the Genius Bar." http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20121897-37/iphone-4s-users-seeing-yellowish-screen-tint/
Message 7 of 7 (482 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.