4S + Leopard--Anyone?

Expert

4S + Leopard--Anyone?

Is there a way to keep ALL APPS OFF YOUR MAC w/Leopard, and have them on the iPhone ONLY?

Apple Support is not understanding what I want to do, but says you can do that with backup to iCloud (instead of the Mac).

Well, apparently, iCloud is not an option with Leopard (must upgrade to Snow Leopard or Lion); but you can use iCloud.com (like with PC).  Tried it, didn't work.

The reason behind this is the MBP has a new SSD with very limited space.  Music is not a problem, but Apps would be excess.  Putting in a new HDD is not an option (at this time); like how fast and quiet it runs with the SSD.

I also found that (not advertised!) you CANNOT use Wi-Fi Sync with the 4S if you have Leopard!

Any suggestions welcome, or the 4S will have to go back. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: 4S + Leopard--Anyone?

What if you simply uncheck "Sync Apps", or does that not have any affect?

Short of a registry setting to change where iTunes houses the apps or created a link for the apps folder to a different location, I doubt there is a way to make it happen.

Is upgrading to a more current version of OSX not an option?  That would certainly resolve the issue as the latest version of iTunes could be installed and would gain the ability to cloud sync.

Message 2 of 11
Expert

Thanks for the reply!  I don't know, not my Mac, but will ask.

Upgrading is a problem since no Snow being sold (guess there's always Amazon)?  And Lion is a no-go since no App Store in Leopard, so that'd be the expensive USB flash version of Lion, then.

With the existing 64GB SSD, not much room for anything. Smiley Sad  Son made the change since Apple said the freezing problems he was seeing were due to a failing HDD (sounds like Uverse TS, LOL!).  So, he pulled it and went with an SSD.

His model of MBP is the one with a thousand screws on the bottom and inside. Smiley Sad

I'll ask about the Sync Apps situation, which is what I do with my Win7 machines; desktop syncs everything, laptop gets nothing.

Again, thanks for the help, I'm a bit Mac-challenged. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
Scholar

Snow Leopard discs are available on Amazon.  

Snow Leopard takes up about 8GB less space than Leopard, so upgrading will solve the problem of not having room for the apps.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 11
Expert

That's good to know!  Thanks for the info, I'll go check it out. Smiley Happy

edit, it looks like Apple is still selling it online, and half the price--surprised to still find it there.

Message 5 of 11
Scholar

spd2demun,

I came back to add I use a very neat utility called CleanMyMac that I run every couple of weeks, and it usually recovers at least 2 GB of drive space.

It removes trash, caches, and other extraneous stuff without the user having to make decisions about removing apps, videos and other stored content. Sooner or later, I'll delete or move tons of files, but while I'm getting around to it CleanMyMac is a lazy person's solution. 

Message 6 of 11
Scholar

You can also movie your iTunes library to an external drive.

Message 7 of 11
Expert

Thanks for that tip, and I figured there had to be something like that for Mac (like in Win.).

Myrtlemaye wrote:

spd2demun,

I came back to add I use a very neat utility called CleanMyMac that I run every couple of weeks, and it usually recovers at least 2 GB of drive space.

It removes trash, caches, and other extraneous stuff without the user having to make decisions about removing apps, videos and other stored content. Sooner or later, I'll delete or move tons of files, but while I'm getting around to it CleanMyMac is a lazy person's solution. 

Message 8 of 11
Expert

Appreciate your response.

I had asked him to try that, but he says the path doesn't go to the external (he uses an external for iTunes backups now).  He knows how to change the path in Windows, so not sure what's going on.

I think it may be to the point where a new Mac is in order, soon. Smiley Sad

TerriZeee wrote:

Message 9 of 11
Master

Another option to get more space is to use a program called monolingual.  http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/  It removes unnecessary language files from a mac system.  I would strongly recomend upgrading to at newest version of the OS the system will support.

I would agree with the option of moving an iTunes library to an external drive given that space can be an issue with an internal SSD.  A fast exeternal drive like the seagate goflex slim running at 7200 rpm is a good option due to its size.  a goflex drive with a firewire connection would also add some higher throughput!.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 10 of 11
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

Appreciate your response.

I had asked him to try that, but he says the path doesn't go to the external (he uses an external for iTunes backups now).  He knows how to change the path in Windows, so not sure what's going on.

I think it may be to the point where a new Mac is in order, soon. Smiley Sad

TerriZeee wrote:

iTunes does allow the library to be moved to an external drive on MacOS.  I know, becuase that is how I run my iTunes (and have for a few years now).  This allows the full library content, the iOS apps, everything, to be stored an an external drive.

Inside iTunes, you select to let iTunes manage your folders, and point it off to the external drive.  Then you exit iTunes, and move the iTunes folder from the internal drive off to the external drive.  The next time you launch iTunes, it tells you it can't find the lbrary, and asks if you want to quit, locate it, or create a new one.  Choose locate it, and then browse to the external drive where you moved the files to .  After doing this, if you try to open iTunes when the external drive is not attached, it will give you that same warning that it can't locate the library.  At that point, they say "quit" and connect the external drive, then re-launch iTunes...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 11
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support