Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 29, 2011
9:35:05 PM
4G
So, are we actually using 4g now. I thought it would be faster now if we were. Anybody? I got the gingerbread 2.3.3 update. Its ok. But it seems the reception has gone down by half the bars it seems.
So, are we actually using 4g now. I thought it would be faster now if we were. Anybody? I got the gingerbread 2.3.3 update. Its ok. But it seems the reception has gone down by half the bars it seems.

4G

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 8:37:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

4G (HSPA+) has been available in many areas for over a year.  It depends on your location. Seeing as many areas are not even on 3G, its a safe bet that those same areas will not have any form of 4G anytime soon.

If you are on 4G/HSPA+ you should see an "H" or "4G" icon in the notification bar (not sure which is the case for the Inspire stock OS). 

You can also test your upload/download speeds with Speedtest, a free app on the Android Market.  Do a few tests at different times of the day to get a good average, as network speed flucutates greatly due to traffic.  I think AT&T was claiming "up to 5 Mbps" speed on the HSPA+ network, when fully deployed.  But I've seen anywhere from less than 1 Mbps up to 4 Mbps at the same exact geographic location(my work).  Network speed at my house is really dodgey in comparison (despite being a highly developed suburb) often with speeds less than 0.5 Mbps, when I can get data reception at all.  Luckily, I am always on WiFi at home.

4G (HSPA+) has been available in many areas for over a year.  It depends on your location. Seeing as many areas are not even on 3G, its a safe bet that those same areas will not have any form of 4G anytime soon.

If you are on 4G/HSPA+ you should see an "H" or "4G" icon in the notification bar (not sure which is the case for the Inspire stock OS). 

You can also test your upload/download speeds with Speedtest, a free app on the Android Market.  Do a few tests at different times of the day to get a good average, as network speed flucutates greatly due to traffic.  I think AT&T was claiming "up to 5 Mbps" speed on the HSPA+ network, when fully deployed.  But I've seen anywhere from less than 1 Mbps up to 4 Mbps at the same exact geographic location(my work).  Network speed at my house is really dodgey in comparison (despite being a highly developed suburb) often with speeds less than 0.5 Mbps, when I can get data reception at all.  Luckily, I am always on WiFi at home.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 4G

2 of 2 (191 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments