Helpful Links

4G and unlimited data plan!

4G and unlimited data plan!

Hi. I currently own an iPhone 4 and am grandfathered in with unlimited data! What will happen when a 4g iPhone comes out? If I upgrade to 4G speeds, will they force me off unlimited, or allow me to keep unlimited? There was a leaked memo that was soon clarified by At&t, but didn't really say in WRITING! grandfathered means indefinitely in the system, but there isn't an unlimited data option when you set up a 4g phone on the website! It's the same for 3G phones too, and so I'm wondering of unlimited data "qualifies" as a compatible 4g plan cause I DO NOT WANT my unlimited gone! Thanks. I need clarification specifically from an AT&T employee who REALLY UNDERSTANDS WHAT HAPPENS WITH 4G upgrades. Thanks again.
Message 1 of 10
Scholar

Re: 4G and unlimited data plan!

If you have unlimited, you will keep unlimited.  If you have an unlimited blackberry plan, you can upgrade to an iPhone unlimited plan.  There's no seperate feature for 3G unlimited and 4G unlimited.

Message 2 of 10
Employee

as far as the billing system goes it's a different feature, but to your average joe, no they are the same and nothing to worry about.

BUT, you never know, in the future AT&T can remove your grandfathered plan on an upgrade. Legacy customers just recently had to give up their grandfathered plans and merge their accounts to the new current plans. 

But if this happens it will be discussed with you at the time of the phone purchase.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10
Professor

iphoneuser4 wrote:
Hi. I currently own an iPhone 4 and am grandfathered in with unlimited data! What will happen when a 4g iPhone comes out? If I upgrade to 4G speeds, will they force me off unlimited, or allow me to keep unlimited? There was a leaked memo that was soon clarified by At&t, but didn't really say in WRITING! grandfathered means indefinitely in the system, but there isn't an unlimited data option when you set up a 4g phone on the website! It's the same for 3G phones too, and so I'm wondering of unlimited data "qualifies" as a compatible 4g plan cause I DO NOT WANT my unlimited gone! Thanks. I need clarification specifically from an AT&T employee who REALLY UNDERSTANDS WHAT HAPPENS WITH 4G upgrades. Thanks again.

If you buy one of the current HSPA+ devices, HTC Inspire and Motorola Atrix, you can keep your unlimited data plan. It is unclear what will happen in the future when LTE devices come out, but the leaked memo and the fact that they will require a newer SIM card are probably good clues.

Message 4 of 10
Employee

the newer is SIM has been on the market since January. if the 9th and 10th digits read 25 your SIM is already ready for an LTE device.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 10
Contributor

I just upgraded to an HTC Vivid from an iPhone 3GS. I too am grandfathered in with Unlimited Data. When I did my upgrade, I was able to keep my entire plan the same, including my unlimited data. It shows up on my bill now as "Unlimited Data for 4G LTE Smartphones" So, I'd say when Apple decides to release an LTE version of the iPhone, it will probably work the same way.
Message 6 of 10
Contributor

You really don't need to worry about that. If they remove your old plan and force you to change, ou have every right to say no. My concern is when will they upgrade their data plan for 4G users. I got a htc vivid 4g lte, and I don't think either the 200mb or 2G would be enough for a phone with 21mps download speed. Verizon already upgrade 2g data to 4gb, but AT&T still charges $20 extra to get 4gb each month. I know AT&T is working hard, but they never seem to know how to keep up with other better players. Last time I waited android froyo update for my Samsung captivate for nine months after google released it. When iPhone adds lte, AT&T network will be crashed if they can't even allow limited 4G lte users to use large amount of data now.
Message 7 of 10
Tutor

I have a very old Unlimited 3G Data Plan for computer. It is dated 2005-6.

My usage of the data plan is very erratic. I could go for 6 months without using it at all (working oversea) and then when I am in U.S. I could use up to 10 GB for a couple of months.

I have heard stories of some version of the  “Unlimited” data plan get soft or hard cap. Customers get warning email from at&t and some had over $1000 overage charges because he/she used more than 5GB per month. I never encountered that problem so I am assuming that I have a “true” unlimited data plan.

I am considering upgrading to 4G LTE. I am told by the at&t customer rep. that I get to keep my unlimited plan, but they will need to change it to 4G LTE unlimited.

Does anyone know if the 4G LTE unlimited is truly unlimited or is one of those soft/hard cap fake Unlimited plan?

CF

Message 8 of 10
Expert

vagrant wrote:

I have a very old Unlimited 3G Data Plan for computer. It is dated 2005-6.

My usage of the data plan is very erratic. I could go for 6 months without using it at all (working oversea) and then when I am in U.S. I could use up to 10 GB for a couple of months.

I have heard stories of some version of the  “Unlimited” data plan get soft or hard cap. Customers get warning email from at&t and some had over $1000 overage charges because he/she used more than 5GB per month. I never encountered that problem so I am assuming that I have a “true” unlimited data plan.

I am considering upgrading to 4G LTE. I am told by the at&t customer rep. that I get to keep my unlimited plan, but they will need to change it to 4G LTE unlimited.

Does anyone know if the 4G LTE unlimited is truly unlimited or is one of those soft/hard cap fake Unlimited plan?

CF

there is only one unlimited smartphone plan that is grandfathered, it will get throttled if the usage exceeds 3GB in a single month, edge, 3g or lte if it is the grandfathered unlimited plan it will get throttled at the 3gb mark. There is no overage charges on the grandfathered smartphone unlimited plan.

If you have a smartphone and you have the grandfathered smartphone unlimited data plan, it will be throttled at 3GB and there are no overage charges for it

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

Mine is not a smartphone plan. It is dataconnect plan for laptop.

cf

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support