Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 23, 2011
2:02:35 PM
4G Sim card and 3G Sim card question

I have the HTC Inspire 4G that I'm currently using as well as a Samsung Focus 3G windows phone in which there is no Sim card and that I want to use. What I want to do it swap sim cards from the HTC to the Focus whenever I feel like it. Now, does that cause any conflicts with data plans, is it going to cause a hardware meltdown ( i don't know).. Will a 4G sim card even work in a 3G phone? Thank everyone.

I have the HTC Inspire 4G that I'm currently using as well as a Samsung Focus 3G windows phone in which there is no Sim card and that I want to use. What I want to do it swap sim cards from the HTC to the Focus whenever I feel like it. Now, does that cause any conflicts with data plans, is it going to cause a hardware meltdown ( i don't know).. Will a 4G sim card even work in a 3G phone? Thank everyone.

4G Sim card and 3G Sim card question

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 8:32:55 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Tbones on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:33:38 AM

At this point it is all about Provisioning. The 4G devices use a different APN for data access than the 3G devices. In order to swap your SIM between 4G and 3G devices, you would need to have your SIM provisioned for both.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

At this point it is all about Provisioning. The 4G devices use a different APN for data access than the 3G devices. In order to swap your SIM between 4G and 3G devices, you would need to have your SIM provisioned for both.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: 4G Sim card and 3G Sim card question

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (28,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 8:45:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ok, i have no idea what that means, even after a Google run. Is that something that can be done at the AT&T store? How do I go about doing something like that.

Ok, i have no idea what that means, even after a Google run. Is that something that can be done at the AT&T store? How do I go about doing something like that.

3 of 9 (28,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 7:52:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

It has to do with software settings on your phone. If you don't want to do it yourself then go to an AT&T store and they will be able to do it for you once you are properly provisioned.

It has to do with software settings on your phone. If you don't want to do it yourself then go to an AT&T store and they will be able to do it for you once you are properly provisioned.

4 of 9 (28,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 11:27:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I went to the AT&T store. The person there said it should be fine to swap in and out. He didn't say anything about Provisioning even when I asked about it. Besically saying a sim card is a sim card... I'll just do it and see what happens. It's just a phone after all. Thank everyone.

Well, I went to the AT&T store. The person there said it should be fine to swap in and out. He didn't say anything about Provisioning even when I asked about it. Besically saying a sim card is a sim card... I'll just do it and see what happens. It's just a phone after all. Thank everyone.

5 of 9 (28,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 5:59:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

So how did it workout for you? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

So how did it workout for you? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

6 of 9 (27,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 9:58:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Turns out it's really a non-issue...according to the 5 or so AT&T employess ive asked over the course of a couple weeks. And I've been using the card in my other phone with zero problems. So I'm not really going to worry about it.

Turns out it's really a non-issue...according to the 5 or so AT&T employess ive asked over the course of a couple weeks. And I've been using the card in my other phone with zero problems. So I'm not really going to worry about it.

7 of 9 (27,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 3:03:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a LG Phoenix (3g) and a Samsung Infuse (4g)  do I need a 4g sim card to use the options the phones have besides receiving and sending phone call and messaging on the infuse My plan is with the phoenix in other words I received the 4g phone as a gift and I want to use the phone

I have a LG Phoenix (3g) and a Samsung Infuse (4g)  do I need a 4g sim card to use the options the phones have besides receiving and sending phone call and messaging on the infuse My plan is with the phoenix in other words I received the 4g phone as a gift and I want to use the phone

8 of 9 (23,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 4:58:35 PM
(0)
Master
For the time being, you can just switch your current SIM from your Phoenix to the Infuse and it would work perfectly. I'm not completely sure if a "4G" SIM card is needed to access "4G" speeds on the Infuse, but you are free to use the phone at the moment.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

For the time being, you can just switch your current SIM from your Phoenix to the Infuse and it would work perfectly. I'm not completely sure if a "4G" SIM card is needed to access "4G" speeds on the Infuse, but you are free to use the phone at the moment.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

9 of 9 (23,045 Views)