Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 8, 2012
12:47:03 PM
View profile
4G Network Indicator

I have an iPhone 4S and updated to software release 5.1 yesterday. One of the features that was added for this version is for the network indicator to show "4G" when connected to AT&T HSPA or HSDPA network. Is the AT&T 3G MicroCell an HSPA network because my phone identifies 4G when connected to the MicroCell. There is no discernible difference in running a speed test on either an iPhone 4S or the iPhone 4.

I have an iPhone 4S and updated to software release 5.1 yesterday. One of the features that was added for this version is for the network indicator to show "4G" when connected to AT&T HSPA or HSDPA network. Is the AT&T 3G MicroCell an HSPA network because my phone identifies 4G when connected to the MicroCell. There is no discernible difference in running a speed test on either an iPhone 4S or the iPhone 4.

4G Network Indicator

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:56:46 PM
(0)
Guru

I updated my wife iPhone 4 to iOS 5.1 today.  If I turn wifi off it shows the M-Cell as 3G.

Go figure.

I updated my wife iPhone 4 to iOS 5.1 today.  If I turn wifi off it shows the M-Cell as 3G.

Go figure.

Re: 4G Network Indicator

2 of 24 (4,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:58:15 AM
(0)
Professor

Microcells only operate on 3G.  There is currently no 4G microcell on the market.

Microcells only operate on 3G.  There is currently no 4G microcell on the market.

3 of 24 (4,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 9:11:42 AM
(0)
Guru

Right....but I think the point is why does the original poster's iPhone say 4G when it's connected to his MicroCell?

Right....but I think the point is why does the original poster's iPhone say 4G when it's connected to his MicroCell?

4 of 24 (4,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 9:44:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes...still identifying as on the Microcell and 4G
Yes...still identifying as on the Microcell and 4G

5 of 24 (4,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 10:30:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

The IOS 5.1 feature that indicates a 4G network is only suppose to be applicable to the iPhone 4s and not the "4" 

The IOS 5.1 feature that indicates a 4G network is only suppose to be applicable to the iPhone 4s and not the "4" 

6 of 24 (4,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 11:30:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Correct. My daughter's iPhone is a 4S and the indicator does in fact say 4G. We just checked her speeds and she is getting 3.06Mbps down and 0.62Mbps up, steady thru our MicroCell.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Correct. My daughter's iPhone is a 4S and the indicator does in fact say 4G. We just checked her speeds and she is getting 3.06Mbps down and 0.62Mbps up, steady thru our MicroCell.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 24 (4,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 1:39:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
How fast is your home broadband connection? HSPA has a max of 7.2 Mbps, while HSPA+ which is only available on the iPhone 4S and now displayed as "4G" has a max of 14.4 Mbps. If you're only getting 3.06 Mbps, it would lead me to believe either your broadband connection is limiting the higher speeds of HSPA+, or perhaps AT&T is limiting the download speeds as they do the uploads.
How fast is your home broadband connection? HSPA has a max of 7.2 Mbps, while HSPA+ which is only available on the iPhone 4S and now displayed as "4G" has a max of 14.4 Mbps. If you're only getting 3.06 Mbps, it would lead me to believe either your broadband connection is limiting the higher speeds of HSPA+, or perhaps AT&T is limiting the download speeds as they do the uploads.

8 of 24 (3,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 4:45:39 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:47:00 AM

My ISP  is 35/35 mb/s.  I actually get 35 mb/s down 43 mb/s up 24/7/365 (Verizon FiOS).

My wife's iPhone is a 4, but a friend was here last night with her 4S.  It too only showed 3G on our M.C.  Both iPhones have iOS 5.1.   I didn't run a speedtest on the friend's 4S  but my wife's 4 sees ~2 mb/s down and .6 mb/s up.

If I turn wifi back on, the iPhone 4 tests at about 20 mb/s up and down connected to the same LAN and router as is the M.C.

So I'm still puzzled why the OP is seeing 4G displayed when connected to his MC but I'm not losing any sleep over it.  Smiley Happy

My ISP  is 35/35 mb/s.  I actually get 35 mb/s down 43 mb/s up 24/7/365 (Verizon FiOS).

My wife's iPhone is a 4, but a friend was here last night with her 4S.  It too only showed 3G on our M.C.  Both iPhones have iOS 5.1.   I didn't run a speedtest on the friend's 4S  but my wife's 4 sees ~2 mb/s down and .6 mb/s up.

If I turn wifi back on, the iPhone 4 tests at about 20 mb/s up and down connected to the same LAN and router as is the M.C.

So I'm still puzzled why the OP is seeing 4G displayed when connected to his MC but I'm not losing any sleep over it.  Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
9 of 24 (3,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 6:55:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

jefe wrote:

...I didn't run a speedtest on the friend's 4S  but my wife's 4 sees ~2 mb/s down and .6 mb/s up...

Just confirming that you are seeing .6 mb/s up (600 Kbps) on the MicroCell? Remember over a year ago when this was limited to 56 Kbps? As late as last November I was seeing around 175 Kbps, but now I'm only getting around 100 Kbps.

jefe wrote:

...I didn't run a speedtest on the friend's 4S  but my wife's 4 sees ~2 mb/s down and .6 mb/s up...

Just confirming that you are seeing .6 mb/s up (600 Kbps) on the MicroCell? Remember over a year ago when this was limited to 56 Kbps? As late as last November I was seeing around 175 Kbps, but now I'm only getting around 100 Kbps.

10 of 24 (3,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 7:40:16 AM
(0)
Guru

Ooops.  Right you are. 

I just ran the test again and got 2.24 mb/s up and .10 down.  I scratched my head and looked back at previous results.  What I read as .6 was .06 mb/s.

Y'know the Simon & Garfunkel classic "The Boxer?"  My favorite line:  "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...."

Ooops.  Right you are. 

I just ran the test again and got 2.24 mb/s up and .10 down.  I scratched my head and looked back at previous results.  What I read as .6 was .06 mb/s.

Y'know the Simon & Garfunkel classic "The Boxer?"  My favorite line:  "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...."

11 of 24 (3,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 11:19:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Wireless_Guru wrote:

My DSL connection is a sustained 19-20Mbps down and 1.0Mbps up. My suspicion is that AT&T is limiting the download. Doesn't seem to be a problem for us though but useage will vary depending on how one uses their phone.

Wireless_Guru wrote:

My DSL connection is a sustained 19-20Mbps down and 1.0Mbps up. My suspicion is that AT&T is limiting the download. Doesn't seem to be a problem for us though but useage will vary depending on how one uses their phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 24 (3,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2012 5:48:23 PM
(0)
Tutor
A lot of good feedback on this post. I am however still puzzled as to why my iPhone 4s indicates 4G if this is only suppose to be on HSPA + networks and as far as I know the 3G MC is not one of these. Speeds obtained while WiFi is off are ~1.8Mb down and ~ 0.14Mb up. My broadband connection far exceeds that and on WiFi I get ~25Mb down and ~4.8mb up on the 4s iPhone. My subscribed broadband connection is rated at 30Mb down and 5Mb up.
A lot of good feedback on this post. I am however still puzzled as to why my iPhone 4s indicates 4G if this is only suppose to be on HSPA + networks and as far as I know the 3G MC is not one of these. Speeds obtained while WiFi is off are ~1.8Mb down and ~ 0.14Mb up. My broadband connection far exceeds that and on WiFi I get ~25Mb down and ~4.8mb up on the 4s iPhone. My subscribed broadband connection is rated at 30Mb down and 5Mb up.

13 of 24 (3,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2012 6:31:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
My understanding is that HSPA+ is "backwards compatible" in the sense that it really isn't true 4G (LTE) but the iPhone 4S registers that speed as "4G". That way AT&T can say they have 4G speeds when in actuality it is "almost 4G". I'm hoping that when AT&T does indeed have true 4G, the MicroCell will still be able to lock on but you will only get the HSPA+ speeds and thus still be useable. In your case, it certainly does seem that AT&T is limiting your speed. Have you checked your speeds on your devices other than your phone. I always get a consistent 19Mbps down and 1.0Mbps up on my any of my WiFi devices but stay fairly consistent at 3.06Mbps down on the iPhone 4S. I haven't checked the phone outside away from the MicroCell. Maybe the MicroCell is the limiting factor?

My understanding is that HSPA+ is "backwards compatible" in the sense that it really isn't true 4G (LTE) but the iPhone 4S registers that speed as "4G". That way AT&T can say they have 4G speeds when in actuality it is "almost 4G". I'm hoping that when AT&T does indeed have true 4G, the MicroCell will still be able to lock on but you will only get the HSPA+ speeds and thus still be useable. In your case, it certainly does seem that AT&T is limiting your speed. Have you checked your speeds on your devices other than your phone. I always get a consistent 19Mbps down and 1.0Mbps up on my any of my WiFi devices but stay fairly consistent at 3.06Mbps down on the iPhone 4S. I haven't checked the phone outside away from the MicroCell. Maybe the MicroCell is the limiting factor?

14 of 24 (3,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 5:17:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

djh26 wrote:

The issue is one of symantics.  The international committee which "owns" the 4G name caved and allowed HSPA+ to be defined as "4G"  AT&T has been pressuring Apple ever since to change the display on your iPhone.

djh26 wrote:

The issue is one of symantics.  The international committee which "owns" the 4G name caved and allowed HSPA+ to be defined as "4G"  AT&T has been pressuring Apple ever since to change the display on your iPhone.

15 of 24 (3,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 8:55:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

E the P wrote:

djh26 wrote:

Makes sense.

E the P wrote:

djh26 wrote:

Makes sense.

16 of 24 (3,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 9:02:08 AM
(0)
Guru

But it seems there are two issues being batted around here.

I get the fact that showing 4G on an iPhone is more of a marketing ploy than anything meaningful, but it seems as if the original poster is the only one who's phone is showing 4G when connected to a MicroCell.

That remains a mystery.

I get the fact that showing 4G on an iPhone is more of a marketing ploy than anything meaningful, but it seems as if the original poster is the only one who's phone is showing 4G when connected to a MicroCell.

That remains a mystery.

17 of 24 (3,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 1:19:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jefe wrote:

That remains a mystery.

No. My daughter has an iPhone 4S (running the latest IOS) and it shows 4G when connected to our MicroCell. Her speeds are the ones that I posted above. Unfortunately, she is away at school now but next time she's home, I'd like to take her phone "on the road" and check her speeds  outside of the house to see if there is a difference. Now that I think about it, just for curiosity's sake, I should check my son's iPhone 3 running the same IOS and see what his speeds are with our MicroCell.

jefe wrote:

That remains a mystery.

No. My daughter has an iPhone 4S (running the latest IOS) and it shows 4G when connected to our MicroCell. Her speeds are the ones that I posted above. Unfortunately, she is away at school now but next time she's home, I'd like to take her phone "on the road" and check her speeds  outside of the house to see if there is a difference. Now that I think about it, just for curiosity's sake, I should check my son's iPhone 3 running the same IOS and see what his speeds are with our MicroCell.

18 of 24 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 1:23:56 PM
(0)
Guru

Ok...I stand corrected.  Some users see 4G on a MicroCell and others don't.  Why is that?  Smiley Wink

Ok...I stand corrected.  Some users see 4G on a MicroCell and others don't.  Why is that?  Smiley Wink

19 of 24 (3,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 2:00:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jefe wrote:

That, as you say my friend, is the mystery. Logic dictates that if one iPhone 4S is running IOS 5.1, and their phone indicates 4G, then all iPhone 4Ss with IOS 5.1 should show 4G when connecting to a MicroCell. That leads me to believe that HSPA+ is not fully implemented throughout the AT&T network. Maybe that's related to the blinking red 3G light that a lot of people have been reporting after an update by AT&T. The update had issues and the MicroCell didn't, or couldn't, reset properly. Pure speculation on my part (update being related to the "roll out" of 4G) but you know how AT&T is 1,  keeping their users informed on what they are doing and 2, how well they update their systems and features. My niece has an iPhone 4S so I might see if she wants to stop by (she's on our list of MicroCell users) so I can check her phone and speeds. That would be two different AT&T iPhone 4S accounts using the same MicroCell. Could be interesting.

jefe wrote:

That, as you say my friend, is the mystery. Logic dictates that if one iPhone 4S is running IOS 5.1, and their phone indicates 4G, then all iPhone 4Ss with IOS 5.1 should show 4G when connecting to a MicroCell. That leads me to believe that HSPA+ is not fully implemented throughout the AT&T network. Maybe that's related to the blinking red 3G light that a lot of people have been reporting after an update by AT&T. The update had issues and the MicroCell didn't, or couldn't, reset properly. Pure speculation on my part (update being related to the "roll out" of 4G) but you know how AT&T is 1,  keeping their users informed on what they are doing and 2, how well they update their systems and features. My niece has an iPhone 4S so I might see if she wants to stop by (she's on our list of MicroCell users) so I can check her phone and speeds. That would be two different AT&T iPhone 4S accounts using the same MicroCell. Could be interesting.

20 of 24 (3,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 2:07:22 PM
(0)
Guru

And I'll be standing by for further....

And I'll be standing by for further....

21 of 24 (3,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2012 5:13:28 PM
(0)
Guru
It isn't clear to me that the people seeing "3G" are on an iPhone 4S.
Only the iPhone 4S will show 4G. The iPhone 4 and predecessors will only show 3G.
It isn't clear to me that the people seeing "3G" are on an iPhone 4S.
Only the iPhone 4S will show 4G. The iPhone 4 and predecessors will only show 3G.

22 of 24 (3,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2012 5:19:10 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by thively on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:27:16 PM

Here's the deal.  Whenever on 3G, the iPhone 4S will ALWAYS show "4G" whether it's on UMTS, HSDPA 7.2, or HSDPA 14.4 (often referred to as HSPA+ on the iPhone.)
"4G" isn't going to give you any indication about the link quality or HSPA profile being employed at that particular moment, it's simply replacing "3G" for "4G" asthetically.

This kind of drives me nuts.   I have older phones that would show "U" for UMTS and "H" for HSDPA.  I wish they would have done "3G" for anything not actaully "4G" and only show "4G" when actually getting "4G HSPA+" as defined by AT&T.

It doesn't even matter that the iPhone 4S doesn't even technically do HSPA+ anway as I understand it.  It does HSDPA 14.4, but doesn't employ the full  HSPA+ profile.  But that's an entirely different issue.

So why do you see 4G when on the Microcell?  Because you're on 3G.  It's as simple as that.

Apple replaced the 3G icon with 4G.  That's all there is to it.  It is not an accurate indication that you're actually getting "AT&T HSPA+ 4G."

So you'll never ever see "3G" displayed on the iPhone 4S ever again.  Only "EDGE" and "4G".

If you upgraded to iOS 5.1 and don't see 4G, then you probably don't have an iPhone 4S.

Here's the deal.  Whenever on 3G, the iPhone 4S will ALWAYS show "4G" whether it's on UMTS, HSDPA 7.2, or HSDPA 14.4 (often referred to as HSPA+ on the iPhone.)
"4G" isn't going to give you any indication about the link quality or HSPA profile being employed at that particular moment, it's simply replacing "3G" for "4G" asthetically.

This kind of drives me nuts.   I have older phones that would show "U" for UMTS and "H" for HSDPA.  I wish they would have done "3G" for anything not actaully "4G" and only show "4G" when actually getting "4G HSPA+" as defined by AT&T.

It doesn't even matter that the iPhone 4S doesn't even technically do HSPA+ anway as I understand it.  It does HSDPA 14.4, but doesn't employ the full  HSPA+ profile.  But that's an entirely different issue.

So why do you see 4G when on the Microcell?  Because you're on 3G.  It's as simple as that.

Apple replaced the 3G icon with 4G.  That's all there is to it.  It is not an accurate indication that you're actually getting "AT&T HSPA+ 4G."

So you'll never ever see "3G" displayed on the iPhone 4S ever again.  Only "EDGE" and "4G".

If you upgraded to iOS 5.1 and don't see 4G, then you probably don't have an iPhone 4S.

[ Edited ]
23 of 24 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 12:28:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

E the P wrote:

djh26 wrote:

No, the ITU doesn't "own" or "define" 4G. Specifically, what the ITU stated was that while they have referred to 4G meaning IMT-Advanced, they acknowledge that the term is used and applied to evolved 3G technologies. That is to say, the ITU basically stated "4G means nothing, so say what you want. Look for technologies meeting IMT-Advanced if you want what we meant to be 4G"

Additionally, by the original widely accepted definitition of 4G,  LTE as currently implemented by AT&T and Verizon is also a 3G technology, not a 4G technology. LTE from Verizon and AT&T is fast, very fast at times, but far short of the IMT-Advanced specification:

• Based on an all-Internet Protocol (IP) packet switched network[1]
  • Interoperability with existing wireless standards[2]
  • A nominal data rate of 100 Mbit/s while the client physically moves at high speeds relative to the station, and 1 Gbit/s while client and station are in relatively fixed positions.[3]
  • Dynamically share and use the network resources to support more simultaneous users per cell.
  • Scalable channel bandwidth 5–20 MHz, optionally up to 40 MHz[4][5]
  • Peak link spectral efficiency of 15 bit/s/Hz in the downlink, and 6.75 bit/s/Hz in the uplink (meaning that 1 Gbit/s in the downlink should be possible over less than 67 MHz bandwidth)
  • System spectral efficiency of up to 3 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell for indoor usage[4]
  • Seamless connectivity and global roaming across multiple networks with smooth handovers[1][6]
  • Ability to offer high quality of service for multimedia support

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT_Advanced#Requirements

Only LTE-Advanced, not yet deployed, meets these requirements. Everything marketed in the US as "4G" isn't if you want to play that game. Dual carrier HSPA+ 42mbps is speed competitive with LTE. WiMax is often slower in the real world than HSPA+ 21mbps. It's all "4G" because 4G is undefined.

E the P wrote:

djh26 wrote:

No, the ITU doesn't "own" or "define" 4G. Specifically, what the ITU stated was that while they have referred to 4G meaning IMT-Advanced, they acknowledge that the term is used and applied to evolved 3G technologies. That is to say, the ITU basically stated "4G means nothing, so say what you want. Look for technologies meeting IMT-Advanced if you want what we meant to be 4G"

Additionally, by the original widely accepted definitition of 4G,  LTE as currently implemented by AT&T and Verizon is also a 3G technology, not a 4G technology. LTE from Verizon and AT&T is fast, very fast at times, but far short of the IMT-Advanced specification:

• Based on an all-Internet Protocol (IP) packet switched network[1]
  • Interoperability with existing wireless standards[2]
  • A nominal data rate of 100 Mbit/s while the client physically moves at high speeds relative to the station, and 1 Gbit/s while client and station are in relatively fixed positions.[3]
  • Dynamically share and use the network resources to support more simultaneous users per cell.
  • Scalable channel bandwidth 5–20 MHz, optionally up to 40 MHz[4][5]
  • Peak link spectral efficiency of 15 bit/s/Hz in the downlink, and 6.75 bit/s/Hz in the uplink (meaning that 1 Gbit/s in the downlink should be possible over less than 67 MHz bandwidth)
  • System spectral efficiency of up to 3 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell for indoor usage[4]
  • Seamless connectivity and global roaming across multiple networks with smooth handovers[1][6]
  • Ability to offer high quality of service for multimedia support

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT_Advanced#Requirements

Only LTE-Advanced, not yet deployed, meets these requirements. Everything marketed in the US as "4G" isn't if you want to play that game. Dual carrier HSPA+ 42mbps is speed competitive with LTE. WiMax is often slower in the real world than HSPA+ 21mbps. It's all "4G" because 4G is undefined.

24 of 24 (3,562 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments