4G Network Indicator

Tutor

4G Network Indicator

I have an iPhone 4S and updated to software release 5.1 yesterday. One of the features that was added for this version is for the network indicator to show "4G" when connected to AT&T HSPA or HSDPA network. Is the AT&T 3G MicroCell an HSPA network because my phone identifies 4G when connected to the MicroCell. There is no discernible difference in running a speed test on either an iPhone 4S or the iPhone 4.

Message 1 of 24 (4,257 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 4G Network Indicator


E the P wrote:

djh26 wrote:
A lot of good feedback on this post. I am however still puzzled as to why my iPhone 4s indicates 4G if this is only suppose to be on HSPA + networks and as far as I know the 3G MC is not one of these. Speeds obtained while WiFi is off are ~1.8Mb down and ~ 0.14Mb up. My broadband connection far exceeds that and on WiFi I get ~25Mb down and ~4.8mb up on the 4s iPhone. My subscribed broadband connection is rated at 30Mb down and 5Mb up.

The issue is one of symantics.  The international committee which "owns" the 4G name caved and allowed HSPA+ to be defined as "4G"  AT&T has been pressuring Apple ever since to change the display on your iPhone.


Makes sense.

___________________________________________________________

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot


I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 24 (3,649 Views)
Guru

Re: 4G Network Indicator

But it seems there are two issues being batted around here.

 

I get the fact that showing 4G on an iPhone is more of a marketing ploy than anything meaningful, but it seems as if the original poster is the only one who's phone is showing 4G when connected to a MicroCell.

 

That remains a mystery.

Message 17 of 24 (3,644 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 4G Network Indicator


jefe wrote:

But it seems there are two issues being batted around here.

 

I get the fact that showing 4G on an iPhone is more of a marketing ploy than anything meaningful, but it seems as if the original poster is the only one who's phone is showing 4G when connected to a MicroCell.

 

That remains a mystery.


No. My daughter has an iPhone 4S (running the latest IOS) and it shows 4G when connected to our MicroCell. Her speeds are the ones that I posted above. Unfortunately, she is away at school now but next time she's home, I'd like to take her phone "on the road" and check her speeds  outside of the house to see if there is a difference. Now that I think about it, just for curiosity's sake, I should check my son's iPhone 3 running the same IOS and see what his speeds are with our MicroCell.

___________________________________________________________

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot


I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 24 (3,636 Views)
Guru

Re: 4G Network Indicator

Ok...I stand corrected.  Some users see 4G on a MicroCell and others don't.  Why is that?  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 24 (3,628 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 4G Network Indicator


jefe wrote:

Ok...I stand corrected.  Some users see 4G on a MicroCell and others don't.  Why is that?  Smiley Wink


That, as you say my friend, is the mystery. Logic dictates that if one iPhone 4S is running IOS 5.1, and their phone indicates 4G, then all iPhone 4Ss with IOS 5.1 should show 4G when connecting to a MicroCell. That leads me to believe that HSPA+ is not fully implemented throughout the AT&T network. Maybe that's related to the blinking red 3G light that a lot of people have been reporting after an update by AT&T. The update had issues and the MicroCell didn't, or couldn't, reset properly. Pure speculation on my part (update being related to the "roll out" of 4G) but you know how AT&T is 1,  keeping their users informed on what they are doing and 2, how well they update their systems and features. My niece has an iPhone 4S so I might see if she wants to stop by (she's on our list of MicroCell users) so I can check her phone and speeds. That would be two different AT&T iPhone 4S accounts using the same MicroCell. Could be interesting.

___________________________________________________________

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot


I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 24 (3,624 Views)
Guru

Re: 4G Network Indicator

And I'll be standing by for further....

Message 21 of 24 (3,655 Views)
Guru

Re: 4G Network Indicator

It isn't clear to me that the people seeing "3G" are on an iPhone 4S.
Only the iPhone 4S will show 4G. The iPhone 4 and predecessors will only show 3G.
Message 22 of 24 (3,637 Views)
Guru

Re: 4G Network Indicator

[ Edited ]

Here's the deal.  Whenever on 3G, the iPhone 4S will ALWAYS show "4G" whether it's on UMTS, HSDPA 7.2, or HSDPA 14.4 (often referred to as HSPA+ on the iPhone.)
"4G" isn't going to give you any indication about the link quality or HSPA profile being employed at that particular moment, it's simply replacing "3G" for "4G" asthetically.

This kind of drives me nuts.   I have older phones that would show "U" for UMTS and "H" for HSDPA.  I wish they would have done "3G" for anything not actaully "4G" and only show "4G" when actually getting "4G HSPA+" as defined by AT&T.

 

It doesn't even matter that the iPhone 4S doesn't even technically do HSPA+ anway as I understand it.  It does HSDPA 14.4, but doesn't employ the full  HSPA+ profile.  But that's an entirely different issue.

 

So why do you see 4G when on the Microcell?  Because you're on 3G.  It's as simple as that.

Apple replaced the 3G icon with 4G.  That's all there is to it.  It is not an accurate indication that you're actually getting "AT&T HSPA+ 4G."

So you'll never ever see "3G" displayed on the iPhone 4S ever again.  Only "EDGE" and "4G".

 

If you upgraded to iOS 5.1 and don't see 4G, then you probably don't have an iPhone 4S.

 

Message 23 of 24 (3,636 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: 4G Network Indicator


E the P wrote:

djh26 wrote:
A lot of good feedback on this post. I am however still puzzled as to why my iPhone 4s indicates 4G if this is only suppose to be on HSPA + networks and as far as I know the 3G MC is not one of these. Speeds obtained while WiFi is off are ~1.8Mb down and ~ 0.14Mb up. My broadband connection far exceeds that and on WiFi I get ~25Mb down and ~4.8mb up on the 4s iPhone. My subscribed broadband connection is rated at 30Mb down and 5Mb up.

The issue is one of symantics.  The international committee which "owns" the 4G name caved and allowed HSPA+ to be defined as "4G"  AT&T has been pressuring Apple ever since to change the display on your iPhone.


No, the ITU doesn't "own" or "define" 4G. Specifically, what the ITU stated was that while they have referred to 4G meaning IMT-Advanced, they acknowledge that the term is used and applied to evolved 3G technologies. That is to say, the ITU basically stated "4G means nothing, so say what you want. Look for technologies meeting IMT-Advanced if you want what we meant to be 4G"

 

Additionally, by the original widely accepted definitition of 4G,  LTE as currently implemented by AT&T and Verizon is also a 3G technology, not a 4G technology. LTE from Verizon and AT&T is fast, very fast at times, but far short of the IMT-Advanced specification:

 

  • Based on an all-Internet Protocol (IP) packet switched network[1]
  • Interoperability with existing wireless standards[2]
  • A nominal data rate of 100 Mbit/s while the client physically moves at high speeds relative to the station, and 1 Gbit/s while client and station are in relatively fixed positions.[3]
  • Dynamically share and use the network resources to support more simultaneous users per cell.
  • Scalable channel bandwidth 5–20 MHz, optionally up to 40 MHz[4][5]
  • Peak link spectral efficiency of 15 bit/s/Hz in the downlink, and 6.75 bit/s/Hz in the uplink (meaning that 1 Gbit/s in the downlink should be possible over less than 67 MHz bandwidth)
  • System spectral efficiency of up to 3 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell for indoor usage[4]
  • Seamless connectivity and global roaming across multiple networks with smooth handovers[1][6]
  • Ability to offer high quality of service for multimedia support

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT_Advanced#Requirements

 

Only LTE-Advanced, not yet deployed, meets these requirements. Everything marketed in the US as "4G" isn't if you want to play that game. Dual carrier HSPA+ 42mbps is speed competitive with LTE. WiMax is often slower in the real world than HSPA+ 21mbps. It's all "4G" because 4G is undefined.

Message 24 of 24 (3,594 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.