4 and 4S cases compatibility

Scholar

4 and 4S cases compatibility

I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether cases for the iphone4 are fully compatible with the 4S. I am particularly interested in the otterbox Defender series. According to otterbox technical support, the electronics of the 4S are different so as to require a different case than the Defender series for the regular 4. Even on their web site they list their cases separately for the 4 and 4S. According to people I talked with at an Apple retail store and AT&T store, there's no difference requiring different cases and cases for the 4 are fully compatible for the 4S. I don't know who to believe. Is Apple and AT&T trying to move old inventory? Is otterbox trying to get people to buy new cases that they don't need?  TIA.

Message 1 of 13 (690 Views)
Expert

Re: 4 and 4S cases compatibility

I was told the same thing in an Apple retail store.  I always use iSkin (no longer carried in Apple stores here), but iSkin's site makes it very plain that their cases will fit both models.

Maybe an Otterbox case owner can chime in here?

Message 2 of 13 (687 Views)
Expert

Take a look in THIS post, he says the case fits perfectly!

davidsf wrote:

I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether cases for the iphone4 are fully compatible with the 4S. I am particularly interested in the otterbox Defender series. According to otterbox technical support, the electronics of the 4S are different so as to require a different case than the Defender series for the regular 4. Even on their web site they list their cases separately for the 4 and 4S. According to people I talked with at an Apple retail store and AT&T store, there's no difference requiring different cases and cases for the 4 are fully compatible for the 4S. I don't know who to believe. Is Apple and AT&T trying to move old inventory? Is otterbox trying to get people to buy new cases that they don't need?  TIA.

Message 3 of 13 (677 Views)

[ Edited ]

My black bumper which housed an iPhone 4 on AT&T no longer fits perfectly on the iPhone 4S. The mute switch and volume up/down bottums have been moved down slightly to make room for the antenna on the left top side. This small change makes it difficult to mute the phone and unmute, it also makes it odd changing the volume. So no, not every case will fit perfectly, certainly not the bumpers. I don't know if Apple will make new bumpers, I called them and they "noted" my concerns.

EDIT: So I found out that the new bumpers will fit the 4S with no problem. It was only the bumpers made as the iPhone 4 on AT&T was introduced that wont fit. However, a week or so before the Verizon model was announced, they made a bigger cutout of the bumper to work for both GSM and CDMA models. So, you can go a head and order the bumper now and it should work on all iPhone 4's and iPhond 4S's

Message 4 of 13 (660 Views)
Master

If you hold a 4 up to a 4S, the switch and volume buttons are slightly different.  In the case of Otterbox, they claim they are different enough that only their reflex series case fits both phones.  I would go what each particular manufacturer says especialy from the reputable ones such as Otterbox.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 13 (590 Views)
Expert

I was referencing (earlier post) what another Otterbox case user relayed here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/4s-Otter-Box-Defender/m-p/2912973#M175510

I guess there is more than one TYPE of Otterbox Defender? Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 13 (572 Views)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

I was referencing (earlier post) what another Otterbox case user relayed here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/4s-Otter-Box-Defender/m-p/2912973#M175510

I guess there is more than one TYPE of Otterbox Defender? Smiley Sad

I wonder if that Defender case was purchased after it was modifed for the new Verizon iPhone earlier this year?  If that is the case, I would think it would work with the new iPhone......  If I recall correctly, Otterbox modified their defender cases to fit both the ATT and Verizon versions?

You can always try it out and if it does not work, place an order for a new case?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 7 of 13 (563 Views)
Scholar

Interesting. otterbox.com web site says flat out, under cases for the regular iphone4, the Defender will NOT fit the 4S.

Message 8 of 13 (523 Views)
Expert

I guess at this point if you can try one in-store, or borrow a 4 case and see if it fits?

Apple or ATT should let you try in the store before you buy?

Message 9 of 13 (510 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

For folks buying the Otterboxes in the store, examine the camera opening on the rear. The one that fits the 4S has an oval opening for the camera.

The ones intended for the 4 have a smaller, odd shaped opening that slants up towards the LED. These will NOT work for the 4S or, I believe, the white iPhone 4.

Message 10 of 13 (460 Views)
Expert

Nice examples!  So the camera/flash is really in a different place now?

Message 11 of 13 (270 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Not being able to compare the two models directly side by side, I would ponder as to why Otterbox couldn't have simply made a "universal" cutout/opening for the camera/flash area.  I mean, is there any functional reason as to why the camera/flash cutout opening on the iPhone 4 case needed to be sized exactly the way it is, and why now the iPhone 4s case cutout is a bit larger in size and shaped quite differently? 

Message 12 of 13 (229 Views)
Master

Inventory of old cases? Since the iPhone 4 is still being sold as an option you would not want that inventory to go to waste.

Message 13 of 13 (200 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.