3gs and 200mb data

Mentor

3gs and 200mb data

I downloaded 4 apps on my new 3gs I got today. It says capacity 6.8gb available 6.3gb. My usage shows 30mb received. Is .3gb equivalent to 30mb?

She also downloaded 20 emails over 3g instead of wifi. If she checked her gMail emails on the web through the google account does that count as usage if emails are downloaded through the google app online?
Message 1 of 22 (761 Views)
Mentor

Re: 3gs and 200mb data

She burns between 8-12mb per day. She just views webpages, checks emails and plays her Solitaire game. I can't imagine that those things would burn that much usage.....
Message 16 of 22 (420 Views)
Expert

dinosaur1 wrote:
But do they consume more if they have pictures embedded in the emails like from Walmart?

I recieve them from target and newegg, just looked at the sizes. The current special easter deal email from newegg is 25KB, target is 60KB, a regualr email that is about a half page long is 4KB, a email with a embeded word document is 166KB

So yes they do consume more data simpley becasue they are larger

Message 17 of 22 (403 Views)
Mentor

Ok. So should I turn off the pictures on her emails coming in to avoid them pulling up on these store emails or won't that matter?
Message 18 of 22 (395 Views)
Expert

dinosaur1 wrote:
Ok. So should I turn off the pictures on her emails coming in to avoid them pulling up on these store emails or won't that matter?

if they are inside the email, not sure there will be a way of turning them off. Can;t really answer that, on my personal phone I have a distinct email address for it and do not use it for any mailing lists, etc

Message 19 of 22 (391 Views)
ACE - Master

Turning off the download of pictures in email will help but the biggest culprit is most likely the web pages your wife visits. Web pages tend to be full of graphics and a single page can be several megabytes. See if the web pages offer a mobile alternative as they are optimized for viewing on phones without all the graphics of "normal" pages. You should also see if the sites she frequents offer their own iPhone apps as they are also usually optimized to retrieve content efficiently.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 22 (375 Views)
Mentor

So look for apps instead of visiting webpages. She honestly gets about 20-30 emails per day and many are from retail stores that have these pictures embedded in the emails.
Message 21 of 22 (351 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

It sounds like the 2GB DataPro plan may suit your wife's needs better than your current data plan.  It will be hard to actually open those emails and stay under 200MB.  The other option is to see that she has an email from the retail store, but not open it until she gets to a PC or around Wi-Fi.

Message 22 of 22 (323 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support