Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 23, 2011
5:37:25 PM
View profile
3GS And IOS 5
Updated my 3GS to IOS 5. Before update I could set how many times message alert would sound. After update that option disappeared. I have noticed it goes off more than once but not sure how many times.
Updated my 3GS to IOS 5. Before update I could set how many times message alert would sound. After update that option disappeared. I have noticed it goes off more than once but not sure how many times.

3GS And IOS 5

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 5:44:07 PM
(0)
Explorer

I have the 3GS right now, I'm waiting for my iPhone 4S.

Anyway, for some reason, since I've updated my phone, it's been lagging, a lot. It freezes randomly and I've never had that problem before. It's not unbearable, but it does bother me. I think there's probably some bugs in the system when it comes to how compatible it is with the 3GS.

I have the 3GS right now, I'm waiting for my iPhone 4S.

Anyway, for some reason, since I've updated my phone, it's been lagging, a lot. It freezes randomly and I've never had that problem before. It's not unbearable, but it does bother me. I think there's probably some bugs in the system when it comes to how compatible it is with the 3GS.

Re: 3GS And IOS 5

2 of 7 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 5:47:15 PM
(0)
Professor
Should be there under Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> Repeat Alert
Should be there under Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> Repeat Alert

3 of 7 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 7:45:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

Mine definitely got slower, but not too surprising as the hardware is at least 2 years old and a new OS would throw most hardware of that age.  That's one reason I rushed to get the 4S

Mine definitely got slower, but not too surprising as the hardware is at least 2 years old and a new OS would throw most hardware of that age.  That's one reason I rushed to get the 4S

4 of 7 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 8:20:08 AM
(0)
Guru

moviehelen wrote:

LOL...IMHO it's a subtle way for Apple to get you to purchase a 4s--offer up a new iOS version with neat features, make it so that it'll barely run on the oldest supported hardware version that can handle it so that users can try it out on their old phones (e.g., 3GS); these users will then realize how sluggish their old phones are when running it, to the point that they'll get frustrated and decide that they need a better phone.  I promise you, there are still plenty of folks out there still running iPhone 3G and 3GS models but once they discover that the highest-possible iOS version that can be installed on those phones (4.2.1 for 3G) does not run optimally on those devices, I'm willing to bet that they will definitely consider upgrading to better iPhone hardware.  Case in point--iPhone 3G performs quite smoothly on iOS 3.x...but put 4.2.1 on it, and the 3G no longer performs as well as it did when it was on 3.x.  Anyone who claims that iOS 4.2.1 performs just as well on a 3G as it does on a 3GS and/or 4 is clearly an Apple/iPhone fanboy blowing smoke up your you-know-what.

moviehelen wrote:

LOL...IMHO it's a subtle way for Apple to get you to purchase a 4s--offer up a new iOS version with neat features, make it so that it'll barely run on the oldest supported hardware version that can handle it so that users can try it out on their old phones (e.g., 3GS); these users will then realize how sluggish their old phones are when running it, to the point that they'll get frustrated and decide that they need a better phone.  I promise you, there are still plenty of folks out there still running iPhone 3G and 3GS models but once they discover that the highest-possible iOS version that can be installed on those phones (4.2.1 for 3G) does not run optimally on those devices, I'm willing to bet that they will definitely consider upgrading to better iPhone hardware.  Case in point--iPhone 3G performs quite smoothly on iOS 3.x...but put 4.2.1 on it, and the 3G no longer performs as well as it did when it was on 3.x.  Anyone who claims that iOS 4.2.1 performs just as well on a 3G as it does on a 3GS and/or 4 is clearly an Apple/iPhone fanboy blowing smoke up your you-know-what.

5 of 7 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 8:33:26 AM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

moviehelen wrote:

What a lovely Catch-22 situation.  If Apple doesn't make an iOS upgrade available for a device, it is because they are trying to force people to upgrade their old devices.  If they do make an iOS upgrade available for an older device, they are only doing it to show how badly their older device performs so that they will want to upgrade.  Regardless of what decision they make there are people out there happy to spin it into how Apple is just being greedy and only did it to force/convince people to upgrade.

As far as iOS 5 on a 3GS goes, my wife was quite happy with it, though I'll qualify that by saying that she only used it for 2 days until my 4s came in and I handed my 4 down to her.  But her experience was that iOS 5 ran smoother on her 3GS than iOS 4 did.

tonester wrote:

moviehelen wrote:

What a lovely Catch-22 situation.  If Apple doesn't make an iOS upgrade available for a device, it is because they are trying to force people to upgrade their old devices.  If they do make an iOS upgrade available for an older device, they are only doing it to show how badly their older device performs so that they will want to upgrade.  Regardless of what decision they make there are people out there happy to spin it into how Apple is just being greedy and only did it to force/convince people to upgrade.

As far as iOS 5 on a 3GS goes, my wife was quite happy with it, though I'll qualify that by saying that she only used it for 2 days until my 4s came in and I handed my 4 down to her.  But her experience was that iOS 5 ran smoother on her 3GS than iOS 4 did.

6 of 7 (657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 1:18:09 PM
(0)
Guru

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

moviehelen wrote:

If only the same could be said about the iPhone 3G with iOS 3.x and 4.2.1...

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

moviehelen wrote:

If only the same could be said about the iPhone 3G with iOS 3.x and 4.2.1...

7 of 7 (601 Views)