Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 6, 2012
7:14:30 PM
3G will not connect

First I would like to thank you for taking the time trying to help me with this issue.

I bought the MC yesterday and it has not worked since. I can achieve a GPS signal and everything else but I cannot get a 3G signal for anything. The 3G signal just blinks and has been blinking since I first plugged it in. I have unplugged and restarted it about 3 million times.

I had the internet plugged into my wireless router and the MC plugged into a port on my router. Didnt work.

I plugged the internet into the MC and then ran another ethernet cable to my router. Didnt work.

AT&T has given me every  "answer" under the sun but nothing works. I have completed all the router changes that are required according the the "support" page and that has not helped.

I called customer service and they gave me a ticket number and said they would call back on the 11th of June. 6 days after I bought the MC. 

If anyone can help it would be greatly apprciated.

Router - Netgear WNDR3700

Internet - Cincinnati Bell Fiber Optic

First I would like to thank you for taking the time trying to help me with this issue.

I bought the MC yesterday and it has not worked since. I can achieve a GPS signal and everything else but I cannot get a 3G signal for anything. The 3G signal just blinks and has been blinking since I first plugged it in. I have unplugged and restarted it about 3 million times.

I had the internet plugged into my wireless router and the MC plugged into a port on my router. Didnt work.

I plugged the internet into the MC and then ran another ethernet cable to my router. Didnt work.

AT&T has given me every  "answer" under the sun but nothing works. I have completed all the router changes that are required according the the "support" page and that has not helped.

I called customer service and they gave me a ticket number and said they would call back on the 11th of June. 6 days after I bought the MC. 

If anyone can help it would be greatly apprciated.

Router - Netgear WNDR3700

Internet - Cincinnati Bell Fiber Optic

3G will not connect

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2012 7:19:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Also,

I receive the message "Error 302" when I try to activate it.

I follow what it says to do.... power down.... power up. Nothing.

I'm getting to the point where I think two cups with a string attached are more reliable.

Also,

I receive the message "Error 302" when I try to activate it.

I follow what it says to do.... power down.... power up. Nothing.

I'm getting to the point where I think two cups with a string attached are more reliable.

Re: 3G will not connect

2 of 9 (3,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 5:49:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same issue and receive the same error code.  After quite some time on the phone, I was finally transferred to a technician who told me that error code 302 meant nothing to him.  At that point, what little reception I had was lost and the call dropped.  They didn't bother calling me back and I was tired of fighting it for the night.

I have the same issue and receive the same error code.  After quite some time on the phone, I was finally transferred to a technician who told me that error code 302 meant nothing to him.  At that point, what little reception I had was lost and the call dropped.  They didn't bother calling me back and I was tired of fighting it for the night.

3 of 9 (3,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 9:19:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by bob550 on Jun 8, 2012 at 9:21:08 AM

I recently had a similar issue with my MCell which, up until that point, had been operating satisfactorily. I had briefly lost power at my house, and when power returned, the 3G light on the MCell steadily blinked green after all other lights showed normal. I power cycled the MCell with no success. I then power cycled my cable modem, router, and the MCell, also without success. I un-registered and re-registered the unit several times, without success, each time gettng the error 302. I called customer support, explained everything I had done, and the call was escalated to tech support. Tech support seemed to think the code 302 was an authentication error (their system did not recognize my MCell), and suggested that I again power cycle everything and wait the usual 90 minutes for the unit to activate. Well, that didn't work either. The activation failed with the same error code 302. So, being late in the evening now, I unplugged the MCell's power cable and network cable, and left it until morning. I had previously read on another forum that if you leave the MCell unplugged for a period of time, the AT&T database eventually clears the MCell's information. I then tried another re-activation. This time, the activation attempt failed due to a "power-up" issue. Finally, on the next attempt, the process completed successfully. I think my leaving it unplugged for several hours was the key here. 

I recently had a similar issue with my MCell which, up until that point, had been operating satisfactorily. I had briefly lost power at my house, and when power returned, the 3G light on the MCell steadily blinked green after all other lights showed normal. I power cycled the MCell with no success. I then power cycled my cable modem, router, and the MCell, also without success. I un-registered and re-registered the unit several times, without success, each time gettng the error 302. I called customer support, explained everything I had done, and the call was escalated to tech support. Tech support seemed to think the code 302 was an authentication error (their system did not recognize my MCell), and suggested that I again power cycle everything and wait the usual 90 minutes for the unit to activate. Well, that didn't work either. The activation failed with the same error code 302. So, being late in the evening now, I unplugged the MCell's power cable and network cable, and left it until morning. I had previously read on another forum that if you leave the MCell unplugged for a period of time, the AT&T database eventually clears the MCell's information. I then tried another re-activation. This time, the activation attempt failed due to a "power-up" issue. Finally, on the next attempt, the process completed successfully. I think my leaving it unplugged for several hours was the key here. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (3,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 12:54:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having sort of the same problem but mine I have had over a year and on Wednesday the 5 bar GPS just started blinking. (Not red but green) I have had a ticket put in and have been on for hours with ATT customer service with no resolve! Still today the light is blinking and i have powered up and down too many times! 

I am having sort of the same problem but mine I have had over a year and on Wednesday the 5 bar GPS just started blinking. (Not red but green) I have had a ticket put in and have been on for hours with ATT customer service with no resolve! Still today the light is blinking and i have powered up and down too many times! 

5 of 9 (3,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 2:08:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
We installed our MicroCell exactly as the instructions said. Modem -> router -> MicroCell, no further than 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, and not any closer than 2' to a WiFi device. A fast, stable (DSL or cable, no PPoE) internet connection (greater than what they recommend) and only one of the devices, router or modem, performing NAT. However, I had to setup port forwarding and assign a static IP to the MicroCell to insure stability. This has worked for a very long time thru multiple power outages, updates (resulting in the ominous blinking red 3G light) etc. Any time the 3G light blinks (which has been rare in our case), I just power cycle everything (the MicroCell is on the same power strip that the modem/router is on) and I'm back up and running in about 10 minutes tops. One would think that by now AT&T support (there is a support mod here every now and then) would have taken all of the suggestions here that have worked for some and updated the scripts that Level 1 support reads from but it sounds like that hasn't, or won't, happen :-(

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

We installed our MicroCell exactly as the instructions said. Modem -> router -> MicroCell, no further than 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, and not any closer than 2' to a WiFi device. A fast, stable (DSL or cable, no PPoE) internet connection (greater than what they recommend) and only one of the devices, router or modem, performing NAT. However, I had to setup port forwarding and assign a static IP to the MicroCell to insure stability. This has worked for a very long time thru multiple power outages, updates (resulting in the ominous blinking red 3G light) etc. Any time the 3G light blinks (which has been rare in our case), I just power cycle everything (the MicroCell is on the same power strip that the modem/router is on) and I'm back up and running in about 10 minutes tops. One would think that by now AT&T support (there is a support mod here every now and then) would have taken all of the suggestions here that have worked for some and updated the scripts that Level 1 support reads from but it sounds like that hasn't, or won't, happen :-(

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (3,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 4:12:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

The recent momentary power outage was one of many over the two years I have had the MCell. However, every time before that, the device powered back up without error. I too have assigned a static IP to my MCell, and have also placed it in the DMZ on my router, therefore eliminating any negative interaction with the router. The only major issues I have had before this are periodic dropped calls, as many have had. 

The recent momentary power outage was one of many over the two years I have had the MCell. However, every time before that, the device powered back up without error. I too have assigned a static IP to my MCell, and have also placed it in the DMZ on my router, therefore eliminating any negative interaction with the router. The only major issues I have had before this are periodic dropped calls, as many have had. 

7 of 9 (3,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 12:31:26 PM
(0)
Teacher
I have had the microcell for about 4 months. It has worked fine for that time with the exception of a known problem with the iPhone and a battery drain issue. About a week ago the 3G light started to flash and I tried every troubleshooting step known to resolve it. After 2 calls to AT&T tech support they overnighted me a replacement. I setup the new unit and got an error when it was going through the initializatiion and I gave up and went to bed. About 4:00 in the morning I got a text congratulating me on the successful setup of my microcell! Somehow it corrected itself and has worked since. Personally I think AT&T sent out a bad update that caused some units to go down and then fixed it a few days later. Today I tried my old microcell and after it went through the setup it worked fine. I'm boxing it up and sending it back to AT&T and let them figure it out.
I have had the microcell for about 4 months. It has worked fine for that time with the exception of a known problem with the iPhone and a battery drain issue. About a week ago the 3G light started to flash and I tried every troubleshooting step known to resolve it. After 2 calls to AT&T tech support they overnighted me a replacement. I setup the new unit and got an error when it was going through the initializatiion and I gave up and went to bed. About 4:00 in the morning I got a text congratulating me on the successful setup of my microcell! Somehow it corrected itself and has worked since. Personally I think AT&T sent out a bad update that caused some units to go down and then fixed it a few days later. Today I tried my old microcell and after it went through the setup it worked fine. I'm boxing it up and sending it back to AT&T and let them figure it out.

8 of 9 (2,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 6:50:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mnbob1 wrote:

Your thought about a failed update is right on the money. AT&T usually sends updates to the MicroCell late at night (early in the morning) based on your timezone when it is least likely to cause an interruption in service. In the past, waking up to a blinking green 3G was an indicator that an update had been sent and you needed to powercycle. The red blinking 3G is a hardware failure indicator. What is probably happening is the latest round of updates requires the MicroCell to reboot and when it doesn't, then the MicroCell thinks its a hardware failure, hence the blinking red light. The updates are either poorly written or the chipsets aren't robust enough to properly configure itself after being flashed. Bottom line, poorly designed mobo.

mnbob1 wrote:

Your thought about a failed update is right on the money. AT&T usually sends updates to the MicroCell late at night (early in the morning) based on your timezone when it is least likely to cause an interruption in service. In the past, waking up to a blinking green 3G was an indicator that an update had been sent and you needed to powercycle. The red blinking 3G is a hardware failure indicator. What is probably happening is the latest round of updates requires the MicroCell to reboot and when it doesn't, then the MicroCell thinks its a hardware failure, hence the blinking red light. The updates are either poorly written or the chipsets aren't robust enough to properly configure itself after being flashed. Bottom line, poorly designed mobo.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 9 (2,852 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments