3G settings for unlocked HTC Wildfire

Contributor

3G settings for unlocked HTC Wildfire

Hi,

I have an unlocked HTC Wildfire and use AT&T's prepaid $75 unlimited talk & text with 200MB data. I am able to connect using EDGE only and I want to use the net using 3G. Have called up AT&T customer service but it still hasn't worked out.

Can anyone please help me in setting up 3G on the HTC Wildfire? What are the 3G settings on this phone?

Thanks,

Drakt

Message 1 of 6 (5,705 Views)

Re: 3G settings for unlocked HTC Wildfire

[ Edited ]

If the stats listed on GSM Arena are correct, the phone will not and cannot use AT&T's 3G network.

AT&T uses the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies for both 2G and 3G.  If a phone supports both frequencies on a particular network technology, then it will work anywhere AT&T has coverage.  If it supports one of those frequencies, then it will work in some locations but not others.

This phone supports 2G frequencies of 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, so (as you've seen) it will work on AT&T's 2G network.  However, for 3G, it uses 900 / 2100 and therefore will not work on AT&T's 3G network in any location because it does not support either of the needed frequencies.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (5,701 Views)
Master

erichamion wrote:

If the stats listed on GSM Arena are correct, the phone will not and cannot use AT&T's 3G network.

AT&T uses the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies for both 2G and 3G.  If a phone supports both frequencies on a particular network technology, then it will work anywhere AT&T has coverage.  If it supports one of those frequencies, then it will work in some locations but not others.

This phone supports 2G frequencies of 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, so (as you've seen) it will work on AT&T's 2G network.  However, for 3G, it uses 900 / 2100 and therefore will not work on AT&T's 3G network in any location because it does not support either of the needed frequencies.

Yes. As far as I know, you can only (usually) used unlocked devices, regardless of the brand, on AT&T's 2G network. Even if they are 3G compatible, you won't get anything above 2G with them. That's just the way it works, and how the frequencies are set up.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 6 (5,688 Views)
Contributor

This phone also has the spec - HSDPA 900 / 2100. Isn't this supposed to work with 3G?

Thanks

Message 4 of 6 (5,663 Views)
Master

drakt wrote:

This phone also has the spec - HSDPA 900 / 2100. Isn't this supposed to work with 3G?

Thanks

No... In erichamion's above post, was stated this - "However, for 3G, it uses 900 / 2100 and therefore will not work on AT&T's 3G network in any location because it does not support either of the needed frequencies."

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 6 (5,653 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Actually, if you have a Telstra HTC Wildfire model A3335 it will work on AT&Ts 850mHz 3G band.  I'm going to bet that you have the regular A3333 which doesn't have the 850mHz band though.

Message 6 of 6 (5,209 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.