3G setting for unlocked Samsung Phones w/ GSM and UMTS Settings

Contributor

3G setting for unlocked Samsung Phones w/ GSM and UMTS Settings

I have an unlocked european phone that has 3G capability but I am finding difficulty accessing the AT&T 3G network for video calls. Can anyone assist me?

Message 1 of 7 (1,526 Views)
Tutor

Re: 3G setting for unlocked Samsung Phones w/ GSM and UMTS Settings

I just bought a SGH-I777 SGS" AT&T in my recent visit to USA, and later I Unlock it. Yje detail is no 3G/4G icons is shows in the screen...I don`t knok whem the phone works in g or 4G and ift really works on this bands. Same as you, I need help about this issue.

Message 2 of 7 (1,499 Views)
Master

Most European phones lacks proper 3G bands for AT&T, namely 850Mhz band. Depends where you are, you may or may not get AT&T 3G services but you should still get 2G service.

Same goes for AT&T phones used outside of US. Most AT&T phones only offer 2100Mhz 3G band for outside US (some don't even offer such band). i777 is the same. So, if your local market uses 900Mhz for 3G, you are out of luck. International version of GS2 suports all four bands for both US and aborad,

Both of you need to setup proper APN for your carrier. For AT&T it is wap,cingular. For second poster, the i777 is pre-configured to use on AT&T network. You will have to change the APN settings to match your local carrier.

Message 3 of 7 (1,484 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your early response about this matter. Actually, I just use my  SG2 in Venezuela without retsrictions. AT&T phones are compatible with my local operator, and the APN is proper ajusted. It is working good, but I don`t know why, the icons is not appear in the screen.Also, right now, my operator is testing 4G 'platform, and is "suppose"  to be supported by the AT&T I777.  I installed an app, which permit show the 2G/3G but only manually. I will insist to place the original thema to monitor if efectivelly show the information. Thanks a lot again for your help 

Message 4 of 7 (1,463 Views)
Master

Only a few countries outside North America use AT&T's 3G frequencies: Brazil and Australia. I don't know what frequencies Venezuela uses for its 3G. You can check your phone settings->About Phone status and see what kind of network it is using.

Message 5 of 7 (1,455 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks foxbat121 for your response. However, my last phone was a Blackberry 9700 unlocked in US before use in Venezuela without any of the details that I mentionbed to you. I assume, my Samsung Galaxy 2 is not Homologate to the Movistar platfom right here. I understand only the Galaxy S in included in the carrier Platform. I will check with them and later I will inform you 

Message 6 of 7 (1,418 Views)

Also, even if 3G is working, I don't think AT&T's network supports 3G video calling.

AT&T HSPA+ capable phones will display "4G" at all times when on a 3G/4G network - they lie about their true network state.

Message 7 of 7 (1,414 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.