3G data performance in Phoenix/Tempe AZ?

3G data performance in Phoenix/Tempe AZ?

I currently have a Sierra Wireless 881U usb modem and am moving to Tempe, AZ next month. I am dying to know what 3G performance is like there, as right now I am in the heart of EDGE country. I know there are a lot of variables involved, but if anyone could please give me some general insights about what kinds of speeds they usually get around the area, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
Scholar

Re: 3G data performance in Phoenix/Tempe AZ?

Hi, not from the Phoenix area but can pass along that with 2-3 bars with a 3G connection I routinely get 1.5 mbps down speed and 800 kbps to 1.2 mbps up speeds.  This is in the Columbus, OH area.  If the coverage map for your new address (not just zip code) shows 3G coverage, you should see similar depending on users, signal strength, etc. 
Message 2 of 5

Thanks for that. I live in rural Indiana and have never had chance to roam into a 3G area yet. I'd be more than happy with 1.5mbps. According to the AT&T maps I'll be well within 3G areas in Arizona. Looking forward to that. I'd imagine with the 3G iPhone coming out this year, they will be expanding coverge a lot more as well.
Message 3 of 5
Tutor

Been in Phoenix several times using the wireless card. Excellent 3G coverage. Not sure about Tuscon. Hope you like it hot!
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted

Well, I know I don't like the cold, so that's a start! Thanks for the info, glad to hear Phoenix has strong 3G, my new job requires a data link with 300kbps download speed when out of my office. I've seen the AT&T coverage maps, but I like to rely on word-of-mouth when it comes to such things. I recently spoke to a Sprint rep and they had me worried I'd have to swtich to them. It's now seeming I won't have to, which is quite a relief, to say the least.
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support