Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 15, 2009
12:49:12 PM
3G Service (or lack thereof) and AT&T's Responses
Is it just me, or should AT&T start investing more money into their equipment/services instead of PR/lawyers to try to prove they have a better network? In St. Louis, the 3G service is marginal at best. You can't stream a video without constant interruptions (ie. buffering again and again). It's aggravating to be on contract and not get a service that you are expecting. If you rate your service as good, just out of curiosity, please post the city/metropolitan area you reside. 
Is it just me, or should AT&T start investing more money into their equipment/services instead of PR/lawyers to try to prove they have a better network? In St. Louis, the 3G service is marginal at best. You can't stream a video without constant interruptions (ie. buffering again and again). It's aggravating to be on contract and not get a service that you are expecting. If you rate your service as good, just out of curiosity, please post the city/metropolitan area you reside. 

3G Service (or lack thereof) and AT&T's Responses

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 3:13:26 PM
(0)
Professor

I reside just north of L.A., and have good 3G service here (no dropped calls in nearly a year).

Is it _just_ streaming video that's your issue, or dropped calls, web surfing, emails, mms, Twitter, Facebook, etc. not working?

YouTube / Hulu streaming may not be a result of AT&T, but points in between.  I often have issues streaming Youtube on TimeWarner cable, and I have 30Mbps/1Mbps service - rated at 10/1Mbps + boost.

Seeing how they're typically investing 16-18 billion / year into the network, I don't think that investing is  the issue, but effectively fixing issues, such as 2nd carrier channel deployment.

I reside just north of L.A., and have good 3G service here (no dropped calls in nearly a year).

Is it _just_ streaming video that's your issue, or dropped calls, web surfing, emails, mms, Twitter, Facebook, etc. not working?

YouTube / Hulu streaming may not be a result of AT&T, but points in between.  I often have issues streaming Youtube on TimeWarner cable, and I have 30Mbps/1Mbps service - rated at 10/1Mbps + boost.

Seeing how they're typically investing 16-18 billion / year into the network, I don't think that investing is  the issue, but effectively fixing issues, such as 2nd carrier channel deployment.

Re: 3G Service (or lack thereof) and AT&T's Responses

2 of 24 (488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2009 3:15:48 PM
(0)
Guru
I have great coverage in Boise, Idaho

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
I have great coverage in Boise, Idaho

3 of 24 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 5:01:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
No, it's with just about everything. Calls are constantly dropped, downloads are pretty much EDGE at best, which is what I get sometimes instead of 3G (service intermittent). 
No, it's with just about everything. Calls are constantly dropped, downloads are pretty much EDGE at best, which is what I get sometimes instead of 3G (service intermittent). 

4 of 24 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 5:37:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I hear you. I'm in Vegas and I was getting 500kbps down. Terrrrrrrible. I had decided the cost of AT&T wasn't worth the trouble.

They need more backhaul & they should have more throughly thought out their 3G spectrum deployment if they are infact running out of it.

I hear you. I'm in Vegas and I was getting 500kbps down. Terrrrrrrible. I had decided the cost of AT&T wasn't worth the trouble.

They need more backhaul & they should have more throughly thought out their 3G spectrum deployment if they are infact running out of it.

5 of 24 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 9:09:50 PM
(0)
Professor

Las Vegas has GREAT coverage in general, and at least 2 carrier channels (as of last January when I visited for CES).  I thought that they actually had 3 channels (2 PCS, 1 cellular).

500kbps is not bad, and depending on where your stream is coming from, it may be limited at the source or backhaul.

CES Vegas was actually 3G unusable last year, and I had to use my Nextel Blackberry to send / receive emails inside the event.

Las Vegas has GREAT coverage in general, and at least 2 carrier channels (as of last January when I visited for CES).  I thought that they actually had 3 channels (2 PCS, 1 cellular).

500kbps is not bad, and depending on where your stream is coming from, it may be limited at the source or backhaul.

CES Vegas was actually 3G unusable last year, and I had to use my Nextel Blackberry to send / receive emails inside the event.

6 of 24 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 3:30:08 AM
(0)
Professor
They are trying to improve their network... they spent 380 billion dollars. It will take some time to finish everything and fix the bugs in the system when that is complete. It's not going to happen overnight.
They are trying to improve their network... they spent 380 billion dollars. It will take some time to finish everything and fix the bugs in the system when that is complete. It's not going to happen overnight.

7 of 24 (464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 7:21:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

ezalocusky wrote:

AT&T is investing a lot of money into the network. I have great service, and with the Centennial buy out, I'm going to get even better service since they will be acquiring an 850 license for my area. 

ezalocusky wrote:

AT&T is investing a lot of money into the network. I have great service, and with the Centennial buy out, I'm going to get even better service since they will be acquiring an 850 license for my area. 

8 of 24 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 11:57:30 AM
(0)
Professor

380 billion ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=T

AT&T Corp as a whole isn't even worth 380 billion.

380 billion ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=T

AT&T Corp as a whole isn't even worth 380 billion.

9 of 24 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 5:05:17 PM
(0)
Guru
38b sounds more like it.
38b sounds more like it.

10 of 24 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 5:53:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
I have great 3G coverage in Boise Idaho...but emmett ID is not so great.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
I have great 3G coverage in Boise Idaho...but emmett ID is not so great.

11 of 24 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 7:23:59 PM
(0)
Scholar
Where I live the service isn't that great I live 18 miles from the closet tower so service is shaky.
Where I live the service isn't that great I live 18 miles from the closet tower so service is shaky.

12 of 24 (296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2009 8:46:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
i joined AT&T forums for just this question. I have fine coverage where I live, but I travel a lot and spotty doesn't hack it! I even bought the iPhone 3GS thinking I would have great coverage. Obviously I did not do my homework. I have been seeing the competitor's commercial that shows HUGE coverage and am second thinking my choice of AT&T (which I have used for at least 15 years!)
i joined AT&T forums for just this question. I have fine coverage where I live, but I travel a lot and spotty doesn't hack it! I even bought the iPhone 3GS thinking I would have great coverage. Obviously I did not do my homework. I have been seeing the competitor's commercial that shows HUGE coverage and am second thinking my choice of AT&T (which I have used for at least 15 years!)

13 of 24 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2009 1:23:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have been with AT&T before the merge with Cingular and did not have a problem with the service at that time.  When I had the 2G or Edge, my service was also pretty good.  Since I have converted to the 3G service things got pretty weird and quite annoying with the service.  A data plan is not cheap and I want to get my moneys worth.  I really hope they are looking to make their service better especially in the NYC area where I reside.  Verizon is really boasting about their service and I am quite tempted to try them.
I have been with AT&T before the merge with Cingular and did not have a problem with the service at that time.  When I had the 2G or Edge, my service was also pretty good.  Since I have converted to the 3G service things got pretty weird and quite annoying with the service.  A data plan is not cheap and I want to get my moneys worth.  I really hope they are looking to make their service better especially in the NYC area where I reside.  Verizon is really boasting about their service and I am quite tempted to try them.

14 of 24 (263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 8:49:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

Do not mistake reliability (especially 3G reliability) with AT&T wireless service.  It is simply not reliable or consistent.  Latency in receiving messages, message notifications and expecially notifications of missed calls.  Many calls do not even ring your phone they just go to voicemail and you literally get notified you missed a call days later (this happens to me and many other I know weekly, from different areas). 

I am so sorry for switching to AT&T and even more so sorry that I gave them an opportunity to correct the issue in the first 30 days in lieu of cancelling.  Now I find the issues is literally how their network operates - to them its not an issue, it's "the nature of the beast" and I am stuck in a 175.00 contract.

Oh... and try escalating above a Supervisor - lol.  It's almost like anyone above a Supervisor is to good to speak to a customer.  They have come a long way in the wrong direction since winning the Malcolm Baldridge Award for Service in the early 90's.

Do not mistake reliability (especially 3G reliability) with AT&T wireless service.  It is simply not reliable or consistent.  Latency in receiving messages, message notifications and expecially notifications of missed calls.  Many calls do not even ring your phone they just go to voicemail and you literally get notified you missed a call days later (this happens to me and many other I know weekly, from different areas). 

I am so sorry for switching to AT&T and even more so sorry that I gave them an opportunity to correct the issue in the first 30 days in lieu of cancelling.  Now I find the issues is literally how their network operates - to them its not an issue, it's "the nature of the beast" and I am stuck in a 175.00 contract.

Oh... and try escalating above a Supervisor - lol.  It's almost like anyone above a Supervisor is to good to speak to a customer.  They have come a long way in the wrong direction since winning the Malcolm Baldridge Award for Service in the early 90's.

15 of 24 (236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 8:50:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Almost forgot.... many dropped calls especially when handing off between towers.
Almost forgot.... many dropped calls especially when handing off between towers.

16 of 24 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2009 5:51:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
My wi-fi is faster than 3g in Boston.

17 of 24 (229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 3:49:30 AM
(0)
Professor
West Central Florida, all up and down I-4, to from the Gulf of Mexico through Hillsborough county (Tampa, and points east and west), and all up and down 275 to Sarasota/Bradenton/Ft.Myers, I have excellent 3G service, all the way.
West Central Florida, all up and down I-4, to from the Gulf of Mexico through Hillsborough county (Tampa, and points east and west), and all up and down 275 to Sarasota/Bradenton/Ft.Myers, I have excellent 3G service, all the way.

18 of 24 (220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 11:28:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Bottom line, where I live I have no 3G coverage.  Generally when I pay for a service I expect to get the best service.  If 3G does not happen in my service area by the end of the contract I will change service providers.  It's a shame that the only response from AT&T is that they provide other alternatives to 3G.  Poorer service means fewer customers. The market base will slowly move to the best provider and so far in my opinion AT&T is not it.
Bottom line, where I live I have no 3G coverage.  Generally when I pay for a service I expect to get the best service.  If 3G does not happen in my service area by the end of the contract I will change service providers.  It's a shame that the only response from AT&T is that they provide other alternatives to 3G.  Poorer service means fewer customers. The market base will slowly move to the best provider and so far in my opinion AT&T is not it.

19 of 24 (209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 1:04:24 AM
(0)
Master

Wi-fi SHOULD be faster than 3G.  802.11b was 11Mbps; 802.11G was 54Mbps.  The theoretical maximum of UMTS and the flavor of HSPA they have deployed is far less than that.

grandmaximus wrote:

Wi-fi SHOULD be faster than 3G.  802.11b was 11Mbps; 802.11G was 54Mbps.  The theoretical maximum of UMTS and the flavor of HSPA they have deployed is far less than that.

grandmaximus wrote:

20 of 24 (172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 3:06:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I actually dropped my internet service with them over this exact issue.

I entered into a 2 year contract on EDGE service with the expectation that I would receive 3G service shortly after that.  The AT&T authorized agent customer service lied outright over the phone to my local agent and I.  AT&T specifically told us that 3G service was scheduled to be completed in my town in Northeast Oklahoma within less than 1 year.  That was just over 2 years ago, and when I went to renew the contract again, they changed their story to an "unknown date of expansion" with no explination on why the planned expansion had not occured.

I have since dropped the internet service, and I am honestly considering changing my provider to Verizon.  Since their acquisition of Alltel, they have almost the same coverage in my area for phone service, but much much better coverage area for 3G and push to talk.

I'd like to see what AT&T's responce is.  My company may be small, but we have 10+ lines and spend around $8k per year with them.

I actually dropped my internet service with them over this exact issue.

I entered into a 2 year contract on EDGE service with the expectation that I would receive 3G service shortly after that.  The AT&T authorized agent customer service lied outright over the phone to my local agent and I.  AT&T specifically told us that 3G service was scheduled to be completed in my town in Northeast Oklahoma within less than 1 year.  That was just over 2 years ago, and when I went to renew the contract again, they changed their story to an "unknown date of expansion" with no explination on why the planned expansion had not occured.

I have since dropped the internet service, and I am honestly considering changing my provider to Verizon.  Since their acquisition of Alltel, they have almost the same coverage in my area for phone service, but much much better coverage area for 3G and push to talk.

I'd like to see what AT&T's responce is.  My company may be small, but we have 10+ lines and spend around $8k per year with them.

21 of 24 (161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 7:13:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
Service in the Harrisburg, PA area sucks!  I switched my iphone back to the Edge network just so I can complete a conversation without being dropped several times.  It gets frustrating when you are trying to conduct business when you continuously have to call them back!  Verizon is looking better and better!!
Service in the Harrisburg, PA area sucks!  I switched my iphone back to the Edge network just so I can complete a conversation without being dropped several times.  It gets frustrating when you are trying to conduct business when you continuously have to call them back!  Verizon is looking better and better!!

22 of 24 (152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2009 4:29:46 PM
(0)
Scholar
I am happy with AT&T I guess due to staying located in my area. When I go out though I will hit a dead zone for a good amount of time. As well no 3G here I'd have to visit places hours from here for that when Verizon has 3G here. They did buy a 3G tower from Verizon 30 mins from here though which won't be available for a year of so though. But it is a concern. I love my iPhone but if you had to count on your AT&T phone to be your GPS in my area traveling 1 1/2 hr away or 4 hours away you would get lost!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
I am happy with AT&T I guess due to staying located in my area. When I go out though I will hit a dead zone for a good amount of time. As well no 3G here I'd have to visit places hours from here for that when Verizon has 3G here. They did buy a 3G tower from Verizon 30 mins from here though which won't be available for a year of so though. But it is a concern. I love my iPhone but if you had to count on your AT&T phone to be your GPS in my area traveling 1 1/2 hr away or 4 hours away you would get lost!

23 of 24 (127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2009 6:32:01 AM
(0)
Contributor
Is there any information regarding WHEN 3G coverage might be coming to certain areas? We live within an hour of Kansas City (MO), and have heard tell that 3G would be coming to our town (Warrensburg) this fall (2009), but nothing so far. AT&T may have the fastest 3G network, but it seems to also be the SMALLEST, and I can't seem to find any information regarding when and where the 3G coverage might be expanding in the future.
Is there any information regarding WHEN 3G coverage might be coming to certain areas? We live within an hour of Kansas City (MO), and have heard tell that 3G would be coming to our town (Warrensburg) this fall (2009), but nothing so far. AT&T may have the fastest 3G network, but it seems to also be the SMALLEST, and I can't seem to find any information regarding when and where the 3G coverage might be expanding in the future.

24 of 24 (112 Views)