Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2011
3:59:33 PM
3G Microcell not working with 2wire 2701hg-b please send settings
Edited by pamelaz on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:27:59 AM

My AT&T 3G microcell is not working (nor has it ever; 6 days and counting) with my AT&T (2wire wireless gateway). Long-story-short,, Talked with AT&T customer support at least 15 times (not kidding). This includes the 800-331-0500, the {Personal content removed for safety} "Micro-cell experts" and eventually got ditched by the 866-461-3648 Connectech folks. Was even instructed to the return the microcell for another b/c it was likely defective. Not so.

I am fairly certain it has to do with the settings of the 2wire wireless gateway. AT&T has no idea, so this is my last hope. Can someone who has the same combination, with their microcell working,  please, PLEASE!!! post their settings for the 2wire?

Let's not leave anything to chance. Please take the time to list all of the settings; System, Broadband link, Home Network, Firewall advanced setting etc. PLEASE! I am trying to start a business from here and this is killing me!!!

AT&T customer since 1997, hate to leave but this could be the nail...

Thanks.

My AT&T 3G microcell is not working (nor has it ever; 6 days and counting) with my AT&T (2wire wireless gateway). Long-story-short,, Talked with AT&T customer support at least 15 times (not kidding). This includes the 800-331-0500, the {Personal content removed for safety} "Micro-cell experts" and eventually got ditched by the 866-461-3648 Connectech folks. Was even instructed to the return the microcell for another b/c it was likely defective. Not so.

I am fairly certain it has to do with the settings of the 2wire wireless gateway. AT&T has no idea, so this is my last hope. Can someone who has the same combination, with their microcell working,  please, PLEASE!!! post their settings for the 2wire?

Let's not leave anything to chance. Please take the time to list all of the settings; System, Broadband link, Home Network, Firewall advanced setting etc. PLEASE! I am trying to start a business from here and this is killing me!!!

AT&T customer since 1997, hate to leave but this could be the nail...

Thanks.

3G Microcell not working with 2wire 2701hg-b please send settings

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 1:05:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

I hope this helps you. 

The AT&T Microcell is a great product with a lot of issues.  I run an IT(Computer and Technology) consulting firm.  I spent 15 years working with Satellite communications for and oil tanker company.   First and foremost are some simple design changes that would help a lot.  There are 3 things that are a must to get this product to work. 

01)   Bandwidth:  You need to have a descent amount of bandwidth for this product to work.  Even if you have a good broadband connection you could have problems in a household with very heavy internet uses.  Your phone and data service are routed over your internet connection.  A design flaw in the unit makes this difficult to check. The internet connection icon (the bars at the bottom) on the Microcell is either on or off.  If bar lights lit up individually and show how good a connect it is making, it would be easier to trouble shoot bandwidth and connection issues.  Depending on how tech savvy you and if you have a router with some more advanced features, you can configure QOS.  QOS is the ability to set higher priority to the Cell and data traffic.  I will give some suggestions but if this is not something you feel comfortable doing move on to 2 and 3.    

Most homes these days have enough bandwidth so it shouldn’t be a problem.

1. Login to your Router and configure your Microcell to have a static IP Number.  You can’t login to the Microcell directly to set the IP number so you will need to create a IP address lease reservation for the Microcell.  Once this is done reboot the Microcell and try to ping the IP address.
  2. Now that you know what the IP address is you can login to the router and set the IP address to have high priority in QOS.  

Microcell placement location has two different factors that need to be considered.

02)   AT&T cell tower signal:  Although your phone and data traffic are routed over your internet connect, the Microcell relies on communication with the cell towers to know how to route the traffic to the nearest cell tower.  It wouldn’t make sense to route the traffic to a tower at the other side of the country.  If the Microcell doesn’t have a good connection to a cell tower it will constantly search for a better connection .  Unfortunately the Microcell has a design flaw that makes this process difficult.  The connection satellite icon (or light) on the Microcell is either on or off.  If they had used the standard bar light system people would see that their connection only has one or two bars and they could relocation the unit to a better spot.  Unfortunately this is a trial and error process.  I recommend that you get a long network cable and try it in different locations.  This is a pain and it may not be possible to hide the cable wire at the location.  Find the closest window or glass door.    

03)    Microcell cell signal:  Like a wireless router your Micro needs to be located in your house where its signal covers as much of your house as possible.  It signal range is closer to a wireless G router.  Finding the right spot in your house that has both a good cell tower connection and good cell signal disbursement in your how is a real pain.  You absolutely CAN NOT place the Microcell next to your wireless router.   

Let face not one of us would be doing this if getting better cell service wasn’t very important to you.  I can say that if you can do the above the product works great.  I work from home about 50% of the time and have 5 bars and great service almost all the time.   

I hope this helps you. 

The AT&T Microcell is a great product with a lot of issues.  I run an IT(Computer and Technology) consulting firm.  I spent 15 years working with Satellite communications for and oil tanker company.   First and foremost are some simple design changes that would help a lot.  There are 3 things that are a must to get this product to work. 

01)   Bandwidth:  You need to have a descent amount of bandwidth for this product to work.  Even if you have a good broadband connection you could have problems in a household with very heavy internet uses.  Your phone and data service are routed over your internet connection.  A design flaw in the unit makes this difficult to check. The internet connection icon (the bars at the bottom) on the Microcell is either on or off.  If bar lights lit up individually and show how good a connect it is making, it would be easier to trouble shoot bandwidth and connection issues.  Depending on how tech savvy you and if you have a router with some more advanced features, you can configure QOS.  QOS is the ability to set higher priority to the Cell and data traffic.  I will give some suggestions but if this is not something you feel comfortable doing move on to 2 and 3.    

Most homes these days have enough bandwidth so it shouldn’t be a problem.

1. Login to your Router and configure your Microcell to have a static IP Number.  You can’t login to the Microcell directly to set the IP number so you will need to create a IP address lease reservation for the Microcell.  Once this is done reboot the Microcell and try to ping the IP address.
  2. Now that you know what the IP address is you can login to the router and set the IP address to have high priority in QOS.  

Microcell placement location has two different factors that need to be considered.

02)   AT&T cell tower signal:  Although your phone and data traffic are routed over your internet connect, the Microcell relies on communication with the cell towers to know how to route the traffic to the nearest cell tower.  It wouldn’t make sense to route the traffic to a tower at the other side of the country.  If the Microcell doesn’t have a good connection to a cell tower it will constantly search for a better connection .  Unfortunately the Microcell has a design flaw that makes this process difficult.  The connection satellite icon (or light) on the Microcell is either on or off.  If they had used the standard bar light system people would see that their connection only has one or two bars and they could relocation the unit to a better spot.  Unfortunately this is a trial and error process.  I recommend that you get a long network cable and try it in different locations.  This is a pain and it may not be possible to hide the cable wire at the location.  Find the closest window or glass door.    

03)    Microcell cell signal:  Like a wireless router your Micro needs to be located in your house where its signal covers as much of your house as possible.  It signal range is closer to a wireless G router.  Finding the right spot in your house that has both a good cell tower connection and good cell signal disbursement in your how is a real pain.  You absolutely CAN NOT place the Microcell next to your wireless router.   

Let face not one of us would be doing this if getting better cell service wasn’t very important to you.  I can say that if you can do the above the product works great.  I work from home about 50% of the time and have 5 bars and great service almost all the time.   

Re: 3G Microcell not working with 2wire 2701hg-b please send settings

2 of 9 (1,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 2:00:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

rgise wrote:
You absolutely CAN NOT place the Microcell next to your wireless router.   

My MicroCell is about 2 feet away from my router which is what was suggested in the setup. I have assigned a static IP based on its MAC address and specified which ports to forward. That has worked pefectly for me since my major MicroCell meltdown in March. Even with power outages it takes the MicroCell about 10 from power on to full connectivity. However, AT&T support was of little help during my two weeks of no service back in March.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

rgise wrote:
You absolutely CAN NOT place the Microcell next to your wireless router.   

My MicroCell is about 2 feet away from my router which is what was suggested in the setup. I have assigned a static IP based on its MAC address and specified which ports to forward. That has worked pefectly for me since my major MicroCell meltdown in March. Even with power outages it takes the MicroCell about 10 from power on to full connectivity. However, AT&T support was of little help during my two weeks of no service back in March.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (1,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 3:46:05 PM
(0)
Guru

rgise wrote:

I don't think this is accurate.

AT&T knows from the GPS coordinates of the Microcell where it is and, consequently, which towers it is nearby. The standard advice that has been given out is to actually locate the Microcell where the AT&T signal is the weakest, not where it's good.

It has also been suggested that you keep the Microcell as far away as possible from a WiFi router. It's unclear why, since WiFi operates on either 2.4 or 5 GHz, and the Microcell operates on either 850 MHz or 1.8 GHz - neither of which is particularly close enough to explain interference in the absense of gross design errors.

So far as I am aware, the biggest issue is that phones get confused when there is a strong tower signal. In my own testing, this is a problem with iPhones. Other phones I have tried operate normally.

rgise wrote:

I don't think this is accurate.

AT&T knows from the GPS coordinates of the Microcell where it is and, consequently, which towers it is nearby. The standard advice that has been given out is to actually locate the Microcell where the AT&T signal is the weakest, not where it's good.

It has also been suggested that you keep the Microcell as far away as possible from a WiFi router. It's unclear why, since WiFi operates on either 2.4 or 5 GHz, and the Microcell operates on either 850 MHz or 1.8 GHz - neither of which is particularly close enough to explain interference in the absense of gross design errors.

So far as I am aware, the biggest issue is that phones get confused when there is a strong tower signal. In my own testing, this is a problem with iPhones. Other phones I have tried operate normally.

4 of 9 (1,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 4:09:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good Day nsayer,  We are both correct.  Unfortunately the confusion and apposing technical issues are what make this product somewhat difficult to setup.  You are correct that ideally the Microcell should be placed in your home where the weakest cell tower signal so it can blanket that area and give better cell service.  It is also true that if it doesn’t make a strong connection to the cell towers it will continually search for a better connection.  This will result in disconnects.  That is why I feel that if they had signal a strength bar indicator on the Microcell you could find a happy medium.

Regarding the battery life problem.  This is caused because AT&T has a priority system for connections.  The highest priority 1 is the Cell tower and the Microcell is 2 or 3.  Even if you have 5 bars on the Microcell, your phone will continue to look for a cell tower because it is a higher priority.  This constant polling for the cell tower is what drains the battery.  There has been some buzz about AT&T allowing you or automatically setting the Microcell as priority 1.  This isn’t a high priority for them so I wouldn’t hold my breath.      

Good Day nsayer,  We are both correct.  Unfortunately the confusion and apposing technical issues are what make this product somewhat difficult to setup.  You are correct that ideally the Microcell should be placed in your home where the weakest cell tower signal so it can blanket that area and give better cell service.  It is also true that if it doesn’t make a strong connection to the cell towers it will continually search for a better connection.  This will result in disconnects.  That is why I feel that if they had signal a strength bar indicator on the Microcell you could find a happy medium.

Regarding the battery life problem.  This is caused because AT&T has a priority system for connections.  The highest priority 1 is the Cell tower and the Microcell is 2 or 3.  Even if you have 5 bars on the Microcell, your phone will continue to look for a cell tower because it is a higher priority.  This constant polling for the cell tower is what drains the battery.  There has been some buzz about AT&T allowing you or automatically setting the Microcell as priority 1.  This isn’t a high priority for them so I wouldn’t hold my breath.      

5 of 9 (1,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 4:14:04 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on Aug 12, 2011 at 4:15:21 PM

It doesn't make any sense that the Microcell needs to connect over the air to the towers in some way. The Microcell can operate properly inside of a faraday cage. Lots of people have them working properly in basements with remote GPS antennas where they can't see anything else.

As for allowing people to change various settings in the Microcell - I'd be all for it. But the idea that AT&T would actually do any work to make their customers' experience better is laughable at this point.

It doesn't make any sense that the Microcell needs to connect over the air to the towers in some way. The Microcell can operate properly inside of a faraday cage. Lots of people have them working properly in basements with remote GPS antennas where they can't see anything else.

As for allowing people to change various settings in the Microcell - I'd be all for it. But the idea that AT&T would actually do any work to make their customers' experience better is laughable at this point.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (1,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 4:34:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good Day nsayer,    You have caught me in some bad wording.  Yes it is true that the Microcell is not connecting to a call tower but a Satellite to decide where the coolest tower is.  It is my mistake for not explaining it better.  I can get a little wordy and was also trying to keep it simple.  It is also true that you can purchase a extender cable for the GPS signal (http://www.amazon.com/MicroCell-Antenna-Wireless-Network-Extender/dp/B003X5FUOU).  I do stand by two things.  They should still have a indicator on the Microcell that shows how good the GPS signal is and without the extender cable you will need to get close to a glass door or window.  If the GPS signal isn’t good, it will continually poll for a better signal and you will have disconnects.   

Good Day nsayer,    You have caught me in some bad wording.  Yes it is true that the Microcell is not connecting to a call tower but a Satellite to decide where the coolest tower is.  It is my mistake for not explaining it better.  I can get a little wordy and was also trying to keep it simple.  It is also true that you can purchase a extender cable for the GPS signal (http://www.amazon.com/MicroCell-Antenna-Wireless-Network-Extender/dp/B003X5FUOU).  I do stand by two things.  They should still have a indicator on the Microcell that shows how good the GPS signal is and without the extender cable you will need to get close to a glass door or window.  If the GPS signal isn’t good, it will continually poll for a better signal and you will have disconnects.   

7 of 9 (1,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 5:46:55 PM
(0)
Guru
There is a GPS indicator. It's the light that looks like a satellite (3rd one). If it blinks, your GPS reception is bad (it is normal for it to blink for a few minutes after the device boots). If it is solid, your GPS reception is not an issue.
There is a GPS indicator. It's the light that looks like a satellite (3rd one). If it blinks, your GPS reception is bad (it is normal for it to blink for a few minutes after the device boots). If it is solid, your GPS reception is not an issue.

8 of 9 (1,407 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 10:20:20 PM
(0)
Guru

And also, you may not need to get it near a window, depending on your house's construction. We have a one story house with a composition shingle roof, and GPS receivers work reasonably well indoors.

We actually have a best case scenario house for the Microcell: it's relatively small, has stucco walls, which tend to block the macronet signals, which come from the side, and a composition shingle roof, which is (relatively) transparent to the GPS signals from the satellites, which come from above.

If you have a two story house and the Microcell is on the ground floor, or if you put it in a basement, then yes, you will need to either put it near a window or put a remote GPS antenna near a window.

But, again, if your GPS light goes solid within 10 or 15 minutes of booting the Microcell, and doesn't blink after that, then you will not benefit from a GPS antenna.

And also, you may not need to get it near a window, depending on your house's construction. We have a one story house with a composition shingle roof, and GPS receivers work reasonably well indoors.

We actually have a best case scenario house for the Microcell: it's relatively small, has stucco walls, which tend to block the macronet signals, which come from the side, and a composition shingle roof, which is (relatively) transparent to the GPS signals from the satellites, which come from above.

If you have a two story house and the Microcell is on the ground floor, or if you put it in a basement, then yes, you will need to either put it near a window or put a remote GPS antenna near a window.

But, again, if your GPS light goes solid within 10 or 15 minutes of booting the Microcell, and doesn't blink after that, then you will not benefit from a GPS antenna.

9 of 9 (1,398 Views)