Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 11, 2010
3:10:42 PM
View profile
3G MicroCell activation, E911 address corrections
Edited by justend on Sep 11, 2010 at 3:23:40 PM

Based on the numerous threads here, it's obvious a lot of folks have had issues getting their 3G MicroCell activated using their home address.  The MicroCell relies on your address and your GPS coordinates for two key geolocation checks at activation, one to make sure that AT&T has licenses for wireless spectrum where you are and the other to make sure AT&T has the proper infrastructure in place to support E911 routing in your area.

It would be very unlikely that AT&T would not have spectrum, so when any of us are running into activation issues, it's almost always due to one of two things: either AT&T has not yet coordinated with your local 911 Dispatch, or they have and your current and correct address is not in the third-party database they use.

I know a lot of folks on here recommend that you use a nearby address.  I actually had an AT&T representative suggest the same, and that was how our 3G MicroCell was running for several weeks.  This is not how it is supposed to be.

AT&T has a procedure in place to have your address added or updated in their E911 database.  You, I, and everybody else here knows it's nearly impossible to get that done, but it is possible and you should make sure it is done.  You never know when, heaven forbid, you might have dial 911.  The last thing you want is to end up waiting, wasting precious minutes, while emergency responders are dispatched to the wrong address.  Call 3G MicroCell support back and tell them a ticket needs to be put in to have your address added to the database.  It should take no more than a week.  If you can't get someone to help, call AT&T's executive response team:

Eastern States 877-707-6220

Western States 800-498-1912

I've tried my best to make them aware of this problem, and of the fact that these issues are affecting a lot of MicroCell customers.  They don't seem to be willing or able to address it systemically, so until they get their act together — or until they're forced to get their act together by some regulatory body (more likely), you'll probably have to fight case by case.  I realize the AT&T bureaucracy can be maddening and overwhelming, but this is one time you really ought to make sure you get AT&T to follow through.  Good luck.

(Last but not least, if you have or haven't had success in getting your address added or updated, if you'd be willing to share your progress here, it might be helpful for others...)

Based on the numerous threads here, it's obvious a lot of folks have had issues getting their 3G MicroCell activated using their home address.  The MicroCell relies on your address and your GPS coordinates for two key geolocation checks at activation, one to make sure that AT&T has licenses for wireless spectrum where you are and the other to make sure AT&T has the proper infrastructure in place to support E911 routing in your area.

It would be very unlikely that AT&T would not have spectrum, so when any of us are running into activation issues, it's almost always due to one of two things: either AT&T has not yet coordinated with your local 911 Dispatch, or they have and your current and correct address is not in the third-party database they use.

I know a lot of folks on here recommend that you use a nearby address.  I actually had an AT&T representative suggest the same, and that was how our 3G MicroCell was running for several weeks.  This is not how it is supposed to be.

AT&T has a procedure in place to have your address added or updated in their E911 database.  You, I, and everybody else here knows it's nearly impossible to get that done, but it is possible and you should make sure it is done.  You never know when, heaven forbid, you might have dial 911.  The last thing you want is to end up waiting, wasting precious minutes, while emergency responders are dispatched to the wrong address.  Call 3G MicroCell support back and tell them a ticket needs to be put in to have your address added to the database.  It should take no more than a week.  If you can't get someone to help, call AT&T's executive response team:

Eastern States 877-707-6220

Western States 800-498-1912

I've tried my best to make them aware of this problem, and of the fact that these issues are affecting a lot of MicroCell customers.  They don't seem to be willing or able to address it systemically, so until they get their act together — or until they're forced to get their act together by some regulatory body (more likely), you'll probably have to fight case by case.  I realize the AT&T bureaucracy can be maddening and overwhelming, but this is one time you really ought to make sure you get AT&T to follow through.  Good luck.

(Last but not least, if you have or haven't had success in getting your address added or updated, if you'd be willing to share your progress here, it might be helpful for others...)

3G MicroCell activation, E911 address corrections

[ Edited ]
26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 2:48:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vfxbear on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:49:44 PM

I bought a 3G MicroCell tower (actually 2) last month and activated the first near my home in the twin cities.  I then took it up to my home along the north shore and low and behold it doesn't activate (I changed the address to the CORRECT address up north before activating it).  When I called AT&T customer support the young lady was kind enough to give me the GPS address of the Address the 3G Microcell tower was reporting it was at, and its 6 miles south of my actual address.  When I told AT&T this, they told me that the 3G microcell tower wasn't locking onto my signal (its placed in a window with absolutely no obstruction of the sky.) The light on the hardware is SOLID saying it is locked in.  In fact i moved it to several different locations and the GPS location never changed according to AT&T).  The problem is that its reporting I am located in one place when I am clearly not.  It begins to get REALLY interesting when I pull my iPhone 4 out and it's GPS lock is within 3 feet of where I am! CLEARLY the 3G microcell tower has issues regarding GPS.  I can't even register it at the "fake" location because there are no street addresses where it thinks I am! AT&T was ABSOLUTELY no help beyond telling me that I can pay $50 for a troubleshooter to help me fix it.  I just paid $300 to AT&T for two of these, not to mention upgrading my account to unlimited minutes. I am very frustrated.

I bought a 3G MicroCell tower (actually 2) last month and activated the first near my home in the twin cities.  I then took it up to my home along the north shore and low and behold it doesn't activate (I changed the address to the CORRECT address up north before activating it).  When I called AT&T customer support the young lady was kind enough to give me the GPS address of the Address the 3G Microcell tower was reporting it was at, and its 6 miles south of my actual address.  When I told AT&T this, they told me that the 3G microcell tower wasn't locking onto my signal (its placed in a window with absolutely no obstruction of the sky.) The light on the hardware is SOLID saying it is locked in.  In fact i moved it to several different locations and the GPS location never changed according to AT&T).  The problem is that its reporting I am located in one place when I am clearly not.  It begins to get REALLY interesting when I pull my iPhone 4 out and it's GPS lock is within 3 feet of where I am! CLEARLY the 3G microcell tower has issues regarding GPS.  I can't even register it at the "fake" location because there are no street addresses where it thinks I am! AT&T was ABSOLUTELY no help beyond telling me that I can pay $50 for a troubleshooter to help me fix it.  I just paid $300 to AT&T for two of these, not to mention upgrading my account to unlimited minutes. I am very frustrated.

Re: 3G MicroCell activation, E911 address corrections

[ Edited ]
2 of 27 (11,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 3:17:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by justend on Sep 21, 2010 at 3:21:45 PM

Does the activation site give you any error message?  I'd recommend calling AT&T back.  Request that a ticket be put in to resolve the mismatched address issue.  I've never heard of there being a $50 fee for "troubleshooting," that sounds quite strange.  Try 888 334-3787 and enter PIN 88346.  If you don't have any luck with the first representative you speak with, ask for a supervisor.

Does the activation site give you any error message?  I'd recommend calling AT&T back.  Request that a ticket be put in to resolve the mismatched address issue.  I've never heard of there being a $50 fee for "troubleshooting," that sounds quite strange.  Try 888 334-3787 and enter PIN 88346.  If you don't have any luck with the first representative you speak with, ask for a supervisor.

[ Edited ]
3 of 27 (11,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 4:17:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vfxbear on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:20:32 PM

Yup, it gives me an error 102.  The AT&T representative (the 6th one I've talked to) today says that the reason it is errors out has nothing to do with the 3g micro-cell tower - it has to do with my internet provider. She said that my internet provider has the incorrect location for me programmed into my system so that when AT&T tries to determine the address by the cell towers and the internet connection it is pulling up 6 miles south of where I am located.  She said that unless my internet provider can update the address that the 3G micro-cell will not work.  I find it odd that my iphone gets the correct address, yet their 3g micro-cell relies on your internet provider.... Basically every time I call them I get another story about why its not working.

P.S. The PIN code you gave me is no longer valid, its directing people back to the 800-331-0500 and regular tech support. sigh

Yup, it gives me an error 102.  The AT&T representative (the 6th one I've talked to) today says that the reason it is errors out has nothing to do with the 3g micro-cell tower - it has to do with my internet provider. She said that my internet provider has the incorrect location for me programmed into my system so that when AT&T tries to determine the address by the cell towers and the internet connection it is pulling up 6 miles south of where I am located.  She said that unless my internet provider can update the address that the 3G micro-cell will not work.  I find it odd that my iphone gets the correct address, yet their 3g micro-cell relies on your internet provider.... Basically every time I call them I get another story about why its not working.

P.S. The PIN code you gave me is no longer valid, its directing people back to the 800-331-0500 and regular tech support. sigh

[ Edited ]
4 of 27 (11,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 4:51:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Btw, the service they are trying to get me to use is called CONNECT TECH, costs $50 and they do not guarantee that it will fix the problem. Basically they walk you thru all of the networking issues (router, firewalls, etc).  So much for being a loyal AT&T customer, spending $300 on two of these, getting unlimited minutes on all of my numbers. They simply don't care, can't address or even troubleshoot what the actual problem is and are flat out dishonest about it (I have caught the reps several times telling me things that contradict everything I've read - for instance, one told me that my internet provider reported issues in my area (My internet provider said this wasn't true)).

Btw, the service they are trying to get me to use is called CONNECT TECH, costs $50 and they do not guarantee that it will fix the problem. Basically they walk you thru all of the networking issues (router, firewalls, etc).  So much for being a loyal AT&T customer, spending $300 on two of these, getting unlimited minutes on all of my numbers. They simply don't care, can't address or even troubleshoot what the actual problem is and are flat out dishonest about it (I have caught the reps several times telling me things that contradict everything I've read - for instance, one told me that my internet provider reported issues in my area (My internet provider said this wasn't true)).

5 of 27 (11,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 5:02:48 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by justend on Sep 21, 2010 at 5:04:29 PM

Interesting, the PIN was working just yesterday.  I guess they got tired of all the calls regarding outages?  In any event, I guess you'll have to call the 800-331-0500 and insist on being transferred to MicroCell support.  (In my experience, the basic customer service and technical support folks are not very familiar with MicroCell and tend to have wildly inaccurate information.)  The representative you were speaking with was definitely misinformed, the MicroCell does not use ISP-based geolocation information, it relies on GPS.  Keep escalating your issue until it's resolved.  If you don't have any luck, try the executive numbers listed in the first post above.

Interesting, the PIN was working just yesterday.  I guess they got tired of all the calls regarding outages?  In any event, I guess you'll have to call the 800-331-0500 and insist on being transferred to MicroCell support.  (In my experience, the basic customer service and technical support folks are not very familiar with MicroCell and tend to have wildly inaccurate information.)  The representative you were speaking with was definitely misinformed, the MicroCell does not use ISP-based geolocation information, it relies on GPS.  Keep escalating your issue until it's resolved.  If you don't have any luck, try the executive numbers listed in the first post above.

[ Edited ]
6 of 27 (11,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 5:07:00 PM
(0)
Guru

She said that my internet provider has the incorrect location for me programmed into my system so that when AT&T tries to determine the address by the cell towers and the internet connection it is pulling up 6 miles south of where I am located.  She said that unless my internet provider can update the address that the 3G micro-cell will not work. 

I can assure you that that is make-believe.

ISPs don't have a thing to do with geolocation. Your ISP has no idea what the geographic location of your stuff is. They know where to send you a bill, but not only is that not necessarily the same place, but it's nothing to do with the systems that have anything to do with Internet connectivity.

No.

There are service companies out there that can translate postal address into lon/lat coordinates. They do this with varying levels of accuracy and/or completeness. The one AT&T has selected has translated your address into a lon/lat that they expect your Microcell to show up at. Your Microcell is using GPS to determine its location and reporting what it finds back in. Those two numbers do not agree. AT&T's systems reject this because the most likely explanation is that someone has activated their microcell at the wrong location (for varying reasons, not all of which are honest), and AT&T must brick the thing.

There ARE databases our there that can attempt to geolocate by IP address. They tend to be wildly inaccurate and incomplete (our house tends to be put in Hayward, which is sort of the center of SBC's territory), but there is absolutely no reason why AT&T would ever need to consult one of those - they can securely determine the GPS location of the microcell, and they know the postal address of where it's SUPPOSED to be and they can geolocate those with far better accuracy and determinism.

It is almost guaranteed that the Microcell is reporting the correct location and that AT&T's geolocation database (by extension, the database of their subcontractor) is wrong.

If you get any other explanation from anybody, I guarantee you they are either mistaken or lying.

This is what kills me about AT&T. Things that are so dead simple a four year old could understand them wind up being given a dozen different explanations by everyone you talk to.

She said that my internet provider has the incorrect location for me programmed into my system so that when AT&T tries to determine the address by the cell towers and the internet connection it is pulling up 6 miles south of where I am located.  She said that unless my internet provider can update the address that the 3G micro-cell will not work. 

I can assure you that that is make-believe.

ISPs don't have a thing to do with geolocation. Your ISP has no idea what the geographic location of your stuff is. They know where to send you a bill, but not only is that not necessarily the same place, but it's nothing to do with the systems that have anything to do with Internet connectivity.

No.

There are service companies out there that can translate postal address into lon/lat coordinates. They do this with varying levels of accuracy and/or completeness. The one AT&T has selected has translated your address into a lon/lat that they expect your Microcell to show up at. Your Microcell is using GPS to determine its location and reporting what it finds back in. Those two numbers do not agree. AT&T's systems reject this because the most likely explanation is that someone has activated their microcell at the wrong location (for varying reasons, not all of which are honest), and AT&T must brick the thing.

There ARE databases our there that can attempt to geolocate by IP address. They tend to be wildly inaccurate and incomplete (our house tends to be put in Hayward, which is sort of the center of SBC's territory), but there is absolutely no reason why AT&T would ever need to consult one of those - they can securely determine the GPS location of the microcell, and they know the postal address of where it's SUPPOSED to be and they can geolocate those with far better accuracy and determinism.

It is almost guaranteed that the Microcell is reporting the correct location and that AT&T's geolocation database (by extension, the database of their subcontractor) is wrong.

If you get any other explanation from anybody, I guarantee you they are either mistaken or lying.

This is what kills me about AT&T. Things that are so dead simple a four year old could understand them wind up being given a dozen different explanations by everyone you talk to.

7 of 27 (11,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 5:39:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks to you both for responding back.  I will continue to work on getting AT&T to fix this and post back the results.  It's absolutely incomprehensible that NO ONE at AT&T can figure this out without me having to spend another $50 for them to fix what's obviously broken on their end.

Thanks to you both for responding back.  I will continue to work on getting AT&T to fix this and post back the results.  It's absolutely incomprehensible that NO ONE at AT&T can figure this out without me having to spend another $50 for them to fix what's obviously broken on their end.

8 of 27 (11,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 4:32:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vfxbear on Sep 23, 2010 at 4:34:31 PM

This is just a re-post of what I wrote on another thread. I am STILL battling at&t on this issue... but this is what I've learned (mostly from other people and not at&t reps)

1) AT&T uses a GPS coordinate for the address you supply that is stored in their E-911 Database that is populated from both an ALI (Automatic Location Identification) database and an MSAG (Master Street Address Guide) database.

2) A *LOT* of addresses in AT&T's database use the GPS coordinates for the PSAP (local 911 call center) instead of the actual gps coordinates. I have no idea why this is other than possibly guessing when the database was created if they had an address that didn't have corresponding gps coordinates they were simply lazy and used the PSAP coordinates assuming that people at the PSAP would know where your home address was located.  For a large percentage of customers (those in urban areas) this doesn't present a problem because your micro-cell tower is within the 5,000 meter radius that AT&T uses to establish a match.  If you are over 5,000 meters it causes the error 102 mismatch that reports back "The registered address does not match the actual device location."

3) No matter how much you argue with the AT&T representative, they won't listen and keep insisting it has something to do with your internet connection.  The fact is, if you are getting a solid green light on your internet connection, you are good to go.  That indicates that your micro-cell tower is properly talking to AT&T.  If for some reason you weren't that light would blink.  Another telling sign is that the rep will be able to see the box and the gps coordinates it is reporting! If you didn't have an internet connection that worked, they wouldn't see that information.

So given that you are in my position, your only option is to INSIST they open up a case so that someone updates their E-911 database with the CORRECT gps coordinates of your home address.  No one their seems to know how to do it (at least at lower levels), and so far I am on my second attempt at getting them to do this.  

AT&T needs to be aware that by not updating these records when a customer tells them they are violating both state and federal laws. E-911 records are important enough that they need to be correct.  I hope this helps someone avoid spending the time and energy I have!

This is just a re-post of what I wrote on another thread. I am STILL battling at&t on this issue... but this is what I've learned (mostly from other people and not at&t reps)

1) AT&T uses a GPS coordinate for the address you supply that is stored in their E-911 Database that is populated from both an ALI (Automatic Location Identification) database and an MSAG (Master Street Address Guide) database.

2) A *LOT* of addresses in AT&T's database use the GPS coordinates for the PSAP (local 911 call center) instead of the actual gps coordinates. I have no idea why this is other than possibly guessing when the database was created if they had an address that didn't have corresponding gps coordinates they were simply lazy and used the PSAP coordinates assuming that people at the PSAP would know where your home address was located.  For a large percentage of customers (those in urban areas) this doesn't present a problem because your micro-cell tower is within the 5,000 meter radius that AT&T uses to establish a match.  If you are over 5,000 meters it causes the error 102 mismatch that reports back "The registered address does not match the actual device location."

3) No matter how much you argue with the AT&T representative, they won't listen and keep insisting it has something to do with your internet connection.  The fact is, if you are getting a solid green light on your internet connection, you are good to go.  That indicates that your micro-cell tower is properly talking to AT&T.  If for some reason you weren't that light would blink.  Another telling sign is that the rep will be able to see the box and the gps coordinates it is reporting! If you didn't have an internet connection that worked, they wouldn't see that information.

So given that you are in my position, your only option is to INSIST they open up a case so that someone updates their E-911 database with the CORRECT gps coordinates of your home address.  No one their seems to know how to do it (at least at lower levels), and so far I am on my second attempt at getting them to do this.  

AT&T needs to be aware that by not updating these records when a customer tells them they are violating both state and federal laws. E-911 records are important enough that they need to be correct.  I hope this helps someone avoid spending the time and energy I have!

[ Edited ]
9 of 27 (11,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 3:27:17 AM
(0)
Scholar

vfxbear wrote:

For a large percentage of customers (those in urban areas) this doesn't present a problem because your micro-cell tower is within the 5,000 meter radius that AT&T uses to establish a match.  If you are over 5,000 meters it causes the error 102 mismatch that reports back "The registered address does not match the actual device location."

I'm in a very rural area here in Northwestern California (Redwood Valley, Mendocino County) and am over 10 miles from my 911 center(Ukiah, CA) and it found me fine.

vfxbear wrote:

For a large percentage of customers (those in urban areas) this doesn't present a problem because your micro-cell tower is within the 5,000 meter radius that AT&T uses to establish a match.  If you are over 5,000 meters it causes the error 102 mismatch that reports back "The registered address does not match the actual device location."

I'm in a very rural area here in Northwestern California (Redwood Valley, Mendocino County) and am over 10 miles from my 911 center(Ukiah, CA) and it found me fine.

10 of 27 (11,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 10:56:28 AM
(0)
Voyager

Well I come posting this after reading and have been facing the same problem since Sept. 9th . Have 3 Solid Lights and 1 Blinking 3 g light . I live in WV and there is no such thing as advanced 911 System YET . I have spoke to My 911 center they told me some time in the next couple Months this will take effect.

I have spoke to Customer Support Since the 9th and They keep telling me they have it fixed , disconnect and reinstall again and again. As we speak I am calling them once again. I could care less that it has my correct 911 address I still have my land line and not going to remove it. Really can't be that hard to remove any locks to prevent this from happening.

I guess I type this to rant and rave. Can it really be that hard to to fix this problem I have been working on PC and Network stuff for a few yrs , Maybe just long enough to be dangerous

Any suggestions on how or who to speak to to get the Micro cell tower to work.

My setup is a Westell Model 7500 Hooked up on port 1 with Option 1 Hook up , I turned on DMZ hosting to keep any interference from my modem / router

Well I come posting this after reading and have been facing the same problem since Sept. 9th . Have 3 Solid Lights and 1 Blinking 3 g light . I live in WV and there is no such thing as advanced 911 System YET . I have spoke to My 911 center they told me some time in the next couple Months this will take effect.

I have spoke to Customer Support Since the 9th and They keep telling me they have it fixed , disconnect and reinstall again and again. As we speak I am calling them once again. I could care less that it has my correct 911 address I still have my land line and not going to remove it. Really can't be that hard to remove any locks to prevent this from happening.

I guess I type this to rant and rave. Can it really be that hard to to fix this problem I have been working on PC and Network stuff for a few yrs , Maybe just long enough to be dangerous

Any suggestions on how or who to speak to to get the Micro cell tower to work.

My setup is a Westell Model 7500 Hooked up on port 1 with Option 1 Hook up , I turned on DMZ hosting to keep any interference from my modem / router

Re: G MicroCell activation, E911 address corrections

11 of 27 (5,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 1:51:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

Calif,

Thats 5,000 Meters from the expected Gps Coordinates of the address you provided.  Most likely AT&T's database has correct gps coordinates to your address.  Im guessing that when their database was created if they didnt they simply put in the gps coordinates for the nearest 911 dispatch center, at least thats the way it appears to me.  I wish I was as lucky as you! Smiley Happy  So far no one from AT&T has called me back or attempted to fix the database error, but I have until the 27th to complain since that was the date set to have this issue resolved by.

Calif,

Thats 5,000 Meters from the expected Gps Coordinates of the address you provided.  Most likely AT&T's database has correct gps coordinates to your address.  Im guessing that when their database was created if they didnt they simply put in the gps coordinates for the nearest 911 dispatch center, at least thats the way it appears to me.  I wish I was as lucky as you! Smiley Happy  So far no one from AT&T has called me back or attempted to fix the database error, but I have until the 27th to complain since that was the date set to have this issue resolved by.

12 of 27 (5,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 1:55:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vfxbear on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:56:09 PM

Wvsnowman,

I can sympathize - you are going thru EXACTLY what I am.  The issue is the database that they use has incorrect gps coordinates to the home address you are using to register it and the only way to fix that is to have someone at at&t get off their butt and update the database.  For at&t to say they can't or won't is inexcusable and frankly illegal. 

Trust me when I say if you have a solid internet light that your internet connection is *NOT* the issue, if the only light that keeps blinking is the 3g light its obvious an address mismatch.  If you have verified that the address you submitted was correct it's an AT&T problem.

Wvsnowman,

I can sympathize - you are going thru EXACTLY what I am.  The issue is the database that they use has incorrect gps coordinates to the home address you are using to register it and the only way to fix that is to have someone at at&t get off their butt and update the database.  For at&t to say they can't or won't is inexcusable and frankly illegal. 

Trust me when I say if you have a solid internet light that your internet connection is *NOT* the issue, if the only light that keeps blinking is the 3g light its obvious an address mismatch.  If you have verified that the address you submitted was correct it's an AT&T problem.

Re: G MicroCell activation, E911 address corrections

[ Edited ]
13 of 27 (5,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2010 12:15:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

vfxbear wrote:

Calif,

Ahh, okay, thanks for the info!  Good luck in your quest, I hope they get this fixed for you asap!

vfxbear wrote:

Calif,

Ahh, okay, thanks for the info!  Good luck in your quest, I hope they get this fixed for you asap!

14 of 27 (5,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 11:20:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the help everyone! After 3+ weeks of trying to resolve this AT&T *FINALLY* fixed the problem. The 3G micro-cell is up and running (so far perfectly).  The only issue is that AT&T told me they DISABLED the gps locking on my account. They did nothing to their E911 database.  

Thanks for the help everyone! After 3+ weeks of trying to resolve this AT&T *FINALLY* fixed the problem. The 3G micro-cell is up and running (so far perfectly).  The only issue is that AT&T told me they DISABLED the gps locking on my account. They did nothing to their E911 database.  

15 of 27 (5,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 11:01:55 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by justend on Oct 1, 2010 at 11:02:11 PM

Quite ridiculous that it would take over three weeks of running around in circles, but I'm glad you were finally able to get the issue resolved.  Hopefully that helps provide a little bit of hope to anybody else who happens to run into this problem in the future...

Quite ridiculous that it would take over three weeks of running around in circles, but I'm glad you were finally able to get the issue resolved.  Hopefully that helps provide a little bit of hope to anybody else who happens to run into this problem in the future...

[ Edited ]
16 of 27 (5,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 4:11:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

I talked to AT&T and they told me they didn't have the ability to unblock GPS tracking. Any idea who you talked to and can I talk to them? I have been trying for a month to get this thing to work and so far nothing. Thanks

I talked to AT&T and they told me they didn't have the ability to unblock GPS tracking. Any idea who you talked to and can I talk to them? I have been trying for a month to get this thing to work and so far nothing. Thanks

17 of 27 (5,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 5:05:02 PM
(0)
Guru

They really don't need to do that. What they need to do is correct their geolocation database. That's the database that translates your postal address into GPS coordinates. These databases are notoriously inaccurate. AT&T ought to know that and have a procedure in place to handle situations where errors prevent successful activation. The error message that indicates a location mismatch (that is, the GPS reported by the microcell is outside the allowable error radius) really ought to be completely unambiguous and be only caused by one of two conditions:

1. The user has entered the wrong address for where the microcell is actually located; or

2. The geolocation database entry for that address is wrong.

There is simply no other possibility. Diagnosing the problem should be trivial. Resolving it should be a matter of looking at the coordinates the microcell is *reporting* in Google Earth and verifying that that spot is what the customer says it is and then setting up some sort of override.

Really, this is just trivial. There's no excuse for AT&T not getting this right.

They really don't need to do that. What they need to do is correct their geolocation database. That's the database that translates your postal address into GPS coordinates. These databases are notoriously inaccurate. AT&T ought to know that and have a procedure in place to handle situations where errors prevent successful activation. The error message that indicates a location mismatch (that is, the GPS reported by the microcell is outside the allowable error radius) really ought to be completely unambiguous and be only caused by one of two conditions:

1. The user has entered the wrong address for where the microcell is actually located; or

2. The geolocation database entry for that address is wrong.

There is simply no other possibility. Diagnosing the problem should be trivial. Resolving it should be a matter of looking at the coordinates the microcell is *reporting* in Google Earth and verifying that that spot is what the customer says it is and then setting up some sort of override.

Really, this is just trivial. There's no excuse for AT&T not getting this right.

18 of 27 (5,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 2:04:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

wvsnowman wrote:

Well I come posting this after reading and have been facing the same problem since Sept. 9th . Have 3 Solid Lights and 1 Blinking 3g light.

As long as you don't live in Pocahontas County, you should be able to activate.  If you're getting the address error, I'd recommend trying the executive office number listed earlier in this thread (since the MicroCell support hotline has since been disconnected to keep us pesky customers from bothering the customer service staff).  Tell them you need to reach a MicroCell support specialist to get your address added or corrected, and that you've had no luck getting to the right folks on your own.

Good luck.

wvsnowman wrote:

Well I come posting this after reading and have been facing the same problem since Sept. 9th . Have 3 Solid Lights and 1 Blinking 3g light.

As long as you don't live in Pocahontas County, you should be able to activate.  If you're getting the address error, I'd recommend trying the executive office number listed earlier in this thread (since the MicroCell support hotline has since been disconnected to keep us pesky customers from bothering the customer service staff).  Tell them you need to reach a MicroCell support specialist to get your address added or corrected, and that you've had no luck getting to the right folks on your own.

Good luck.

19 of 27 (5,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 9:07:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

I never had any problems using Sprint Airave network extender before my company switched to AT&T to save money. Now I've had this microcell thing for months with way too many calls/emails to Premier tech support, the AT&T account rep and numerous reboots and reinstalls and still no service. Still getting 102 error after every activation confirmation.

I never had any problems using Sprint Airave network extender before my company switched to AT&T to save money. Now I've had this microcell thing for months with way too many calls/emails to Premier tech support, the AT&T account rep and numerous reboots and reinstalls and still no service. Still getting 102 error after every activation confirmation.

20 of 27 (4,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2011 9:46:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Gosh you're lucky; because they told me they couldn't disable it...hopefully they will get mine fixed.

Gosh you're lucky; because they told me they couldn't disable it...hopefully they will get mine fixed.

21 of 27 (3,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2011 9:56:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Smiley SadYELL, YELL, SCREAM, SCREAM....

Yes, I'm having the same problems.....they only good or bad thing is I AM AN EMERGENCY WORKER (PARAMEDIC)...I was able to give them my ACTUAL GPS coordinates that 911 has on file....AT&T's coordinates are ONLY 16-17 miles off...lol...

I did have a friendly lady named Susan from my state that stayed on the phone with me for over an hour trying to resolve the issue...SUSAN went above and beyond the call; but unfortunately bureaucracy prevailed and i'm wait 72 hours on a ticket (of course this is saturday; so weekends will be added to that) and maybe, just maybe they can "fix" it.  I'm just trying to figure out depending on the databases they are using that since I gave them my landline number as well; which i know correctly brings up my 911 address if i call 911; that AT&T's system is showing me 16-17 miles away????????   Wish someone could explain that to me.

And considering my husband's an engineer we knew more than our fair share about coordinates....maybe AT&T should give us jobs on the side...lol...

Good luck to all those that follow me...will keep you updated on the progress....oh btw...we actually tried setting this up on Friday night but of course customer service was closed by the time we got home with our unit; so the errors we had on friday night had to wait until 9 am saturday....Smiley Sad

Smiley SadYELL, YELL, SCREAM, SCREAM....

Yes, I'm having the same problems.....they only good or bad thing is I AM AN EMERGENCY WORKER (PARAMEDIC)...I was able to give them my ACTUAL GPS coordinates that 911 has on file....AT&T's coordinates are ONLY 16-17 miles off...lol...

I did have a friendly lady named Susan from my state that stayed on the phone with me for over an hour trying to resolve the issue...SUSAN went above and beyond the call; but unfortunately bureaucracy prevailed and i'm wait 72 hours on a ticket (of course this is saturday; so weekends will be added to that) and maybe, just maybe they can "fix" it.  I'm just trying to figure out depending on the databases they are using that since I gave them my landline number as well; which i know correctly brings up my 911 address if i call 911; that AT&T's system is showing me 16-17 miles away????????   Wish someone could explain that to me.

And considering my husband's an engineer we knew more than our fair share about coordinates....maybe AT&T should give us jobs on the side...lol...

Good luck to all those that follow me...will keep you updated on the progress....oh btw...we actually tried setting this up on Friday night but of course customer service was closed by the time we got home with our unit; so the errors we had on friday night had to wait until 9 am saturday....Smiley Sad

22 of 27 (3,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2011 9:57:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

23 of 27 (3,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 8:44:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I went through this today with a rep.  I was having to put in a address that was "close to me" when I tried to register my Microcell.  Well the address it was making me use was 2 miles away.  So I gave her my long/lat coordinates and she said that teir 2 was building my profile so that I could use my address and they did.

But afterwards I still have not been able to activate my microcell, that all the sudden stopped working a month ago.  I have 3 solid top lights and my 3g light just blinks on and off. 

I've spoken with ATT on 6 different occasions and they continue to tell me that its my FIOS router blocking the microcell from communicating. 

Any suggestions?

I went through this today with a rep.  I was having to put in a address that was "close to me" when I tried to register my Microcell.  Well the address it was making me use was 2 miles away.  So I gave her my long/lat coordinates and she said that teir 2 was building my profile so that I could use my address and they did.

But afterwards I still have not been able to activate my microcell, that all the sudden stopped working a month ago.  I have 3 solid top lights and my 3g light just blinks on and off. 

I've spoken with ATT on 6 different occasions and they continue to tell me that its my FIOS router blocking the microcell from communicating. 

Any suggestions?

24 of 27 (3,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 8:31:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I've spoken the reps again today as well; only to find out after 48-72+ hours that they actually closed my case on Saturday, due to it being sent to the wrong department....thanks att after talking to 3 reps on Saturday; of course they were suppose to notify me when my case was closed & fixed; didn't hear anything other than a call saturday night for a followup thinking it was fixed, but then the rep said, "oh, I'm sorry, they've already opened a case on this; i didn't see that before i called and that's all i can do".   So now I've had to call my local 911 again and get the coordinates.

Of course, working as  paramedic and with 911; i recommend us sticking to our guns requiring att to correct the gps coordinates in their databases; because should you have to call 911 using your cell in your house, it could mean the matter of life and death; especially if you live in a rural location and/or your home is hard to find.   I've been with a couple 100 ft of a residence and not be able to see or find it, due to roadsigns missing or drives/mailbox numbers missing or covered up; but i can look on the gps in our units and see where i'm at and where im suppose to be if everything is correct in the system.  The problem with my microcell coordinates and 911 address in att database is they have me over 16 miles away from where i'm actually located....which definately could mean the difference between life and death.

I'm now being told i'm going to have to wait another 72 hours (which will make it one week total) and that they've already given me as much "credit/airtime" that they can for my troubles; but of course it doesn't change the fact of $20/monthly service and $199 for the unit....guess i'll just wait and see!   Smiley Sad~

Well, I've spoken the reps again today as well; only to find out after 48-72+ hours that they actually closed my case on Saturday, due to it being sent to the wrong department....thanks att after talking to 3 reps on Saturday; of course they were suppose to notify me when my case was closed & fixed; didn't hear anything other than a call saturday night for a followup thinking it was fixed, but then the rep said, "oh, I'm sorry, they've already opened a case on this; i didn't see that before i called and that's all i can do".   So now I've had to call my local 911 again and get the coordinates.

Of course, working as  paramedic and with 911; i recommend us sticking to our guns requiring att to correct the gps coordinates in their databases; because should you have to call 911 using your cell in your house, it could mean the matter of life and death; especially if you live in a rural location and/or your home is hard to find.   I've been with a couple 100 ft of a residence and not be able to see or find it, due to roadsigns missing or drives/mailbox numbers missing or covered up; but i can look on the gps in our units and see where i'm at and where im suppose to be if everything is correct in the system.  The problem with my microcell coordinates and 911 address in att database is they have me over 16 miles away from where i'm actually located....which definately could mean the difference between life and death.

I'm now being told i'm going to have to wait another 72 hours (which will make it one week total) and that they've already given me as much "credit/airtime" that they can for my troubles; but of course it doesn't change the fact of $20/monthly service and $199 for the unit....guess i'll just wait and see!   Smiley Sad~

25 of 27 (3,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 10:27:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

well we're almost finished with week two without getting the microcell activitated...the only good thing is the customer reps are feeling very sorry for us and are empathetic...

the "estimated time for repair" was Monday, so I waited and called Tuesday; another 30+ minutes on the phone trying to figure out what was going on; another manager getting involved and I called back today and we are still at a normal priority without an end in sight. 

What is really furstrating is that from my understanding from this forum; att knows what the problem is and several people are having the same problem; and from my understanding the solution is as simple as someone putting in the correct coordinates in the database. 

Because of my position in EMS; I know that E911 has the correct information - now google; mapquest or whatever att is using may not be close, but windstream (my local telephone carrier) and 911 can find me....maybe I need to head up a search party for att?

Very Sad Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

well we're almost finished with week two without getting the microcell activitated...the only good thing is the customer reps are feeling very sorry for us and are empathetic...

the "estimated time for repair" was Monday, so I waited and called Tuesday; another 30+ minutes on the phone trying to figure out what was going on; another manager getting involved and I called back today and we are still at a normal priority without an end in sight. 

What is really furstrating is that from my understanding from this forum; att knows what the problem is and several people are having the same problem; and from my understanding the solution is as simple as someone putting in the correct coordinates in the database. 

Because of my position in EMS; I know that E911 has the correct information - now google; mapquest or whatever att is using may not be close, but windstream (my local telephone carrier) and 911 can find me....maybe I need to head up a search party for att?

Very Sad Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

26 of 27 (3,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 2:52:13 PM
(0)
Guru

It's just so laughable. It is absolutely obvious to anyone who works with geolocation that the databases that convert from addresses to geographical coordinates are woefully inaccurate in many cases and that if you have a service that relies on validating location by address via GPS that you're going to need to handle the myriad of exception cases that come up.

This is yet another issue that AT&T refuses to provide a systematic, nationwide procedure for.

Any AT&T rep handling a Microcell issue ought to be able to query the Microcell for its location (assuming it's not having GPS reception or network connectivity problems). It should be entirely trivial to validate that such a location is with AT&T's service territory, which is really all I'm sure that AT&T cares about. I am unconvinced that Cellular E911 relies on a postal address rather than being coordinate based, since cell phones often must be located in emergencies in places that have no addresses or where addresses are not sufficiently unambiguous. Rather, I am convinced that the real reason that the Microcell has a GPS receiver inside is to validate that it does not leave AT&T's service area. I further believe that they ask you for your physical address at registration time both to pre-validate this fact, and to assign your Microcell any regional configuration variations that may be required depending on where is.

Of course, since AT&T refuses to talk to anyone about anything, all anyone can really do is speculate, but I don't see any wiggle room in that speculation that explains why AT&T is handling these situations so incompetently.

It's just so laughable. It is absolutely obvious to anyone who works with geolocation that the databases that convert from addresses to geographical coordinates are woefully inaccurate in many cases and that if you have a service that relies on validating location by address via GPS that you're going to need to handle the myriad of exception cases that come up.

This is yet another issue that AT&T refuses to provide a systematic, nationwide procedure for.

Any AT&T rep handling a Microcell issue ought to be able to query the Microcell for its location (assuming it's not having GPS reception or network connectivity problems). It should be entirely trivial to validate that such a location is with AT&T's service territory, which is really all I'm sure that AT&T cares about. I am unconvinced that Cellular E911 relies on a postal address rather than being coordinate based, since cell phones often must be located in emergencies in places that have no addresses or where addresses are not sufficiently unambiguous. Rather, I am convinced that the real reason that the Microcell has a GPS receiver inside is to validate that it does not leave AT&T's service area. I further believe that they ask you for your physical address at registration time both to pre-validate this fact, and to assign your Microcell any regional configuration variations that may be required depending on where is.

Of course, since AT&T refuses to talk to anyone about anything, all anyone can really do is speculate, but I don't see any wiggle room in that speculation that explains why AT&T is handling these situations so incompetently.

27 of 27 (3,208 Views)