Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 17, 2011
3:53:44 AM
View profile
3G Light Flashes Every Morning

Every morning, for several hours, my 3G light on my MicroCell will be flashing and, of course, I won't have service on my iPhone. I've googled and it seems that there are plenty others with this problem, however, in EVERY single one of those cases, the victim had DSL with PPPoE. I have cable internet. 

I'm set up as Modem (Motoroal Surfboard Sb5101U)>Router (Netgear WGR614v9)>MicroCell  

Every morning, for several hours, my 3G light on my MicroCell will be flashing and, of course, I won't have service on my iPhone. I've googled and it seems that there are plenty others with this problem, however, in EVERY single one of those cases, the victim had DSL with PPPoE. I have cable internet. 

I'm set up as Modem (Motoroal Surfboard Sb5101U)>Router (Netgear WGR614v9)>MicroCell  

3G Light Flashes Every Morning

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2011 10:04:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GQSmoos wrote:

It sounds like AT&T did an update in the middle of the night or there was some sort of outage that caused you to lose 3G. Your setup is correct (non-priority mode) so you may have to setup port forwarding to the MicroCell and assign a permanent IP address based on its MAC address. I never had to do that before with my MicroCell until an update in March made it totally inoperable, but once I did that, I've not had any problems since, even with power outages. I have ADSL2+.  I'm assuming you have no problem with GPS syncing and staying synced (solid green light).

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

GQSmoos wrote:

It sounds like AT&T did an update in the middle of the night or there was some sort of outage that caused you to lose 3G. Your setup is correct (non-priority mode) so you may have to setup port forwarding to the MicroCell and assign a permanent IP address based on its MAC address. I never had to do that before with my MicroCell until an update in March made it totally inoperable, but once I did that, I've not had any problems since, even with power outages. I have ADSL2+.  I'm assuming you have no problem with GPS syncing and staying synced (solid green light).

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3G Light Flashes Every Morning

2 of 9 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2011 10:06:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Otto Pylot wrote:

GQSmoos wrote:

Clarification: ADSL2+ with a dynamic address (no PPoE).

Otto Pylot wrote:

GQSmoos wrote:

Clarification: ADSL2+ with a dynamic address (no PPoE).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2011 4:20:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, I've given it a static IP and set up port forwarding. I'll know in teh morning if it works. 

Okay, I've given it a static IP and set up port forwarding. I'll know in teh morning if it works. 

4 of 9 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2011 5:16:43 PM
(0)
Guru
It likely won't. It's possible that your outside IP address is changing nightly. This is what actually is triggering the episode for those with PPPoE. The Microcell reacts poorly when it's real outside IP address changes - never mind there are plenty of ways they could poll for changes to discover them quickly.

This is another of the many systemic problems with the Microcell that AT&T refuses to even acknowledge, much less fix.
It likely won't. It's possible that your outside IP address is changing nightly. This is what actually is triggering the episode for those with PPPoE. The Microcell reacts poorly when it's real outside IP address changes - never mind there are plenty of ways they could poll for changes to discover them quickly.

This is another of the many systemic problems with the Microcell that AT&T refuses to even acknowledge, much less fix.

5 of 9 (459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2011 6:06:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

nsayer has a point. With a cable connection I just assumed your IP was either static or dynamic. Some folks have luck with the port forwarding and assigned IP, others don't. For me, it worked just fine. With your light flashing every morning that made me think it was some sort of update on AT&Ts part but maybe your ISP is doing something. Couldn't hurt to check in with them. Did your MicroCell ever work or is this a new one?

nsayer has a point. With a cable connection I just assumed your IP was either static or dynamic. Some folks have luck with the port forwarding and assigned IP, others don't. For me, it worked just fine. With your light flashing every morning that made me think it was some sort of update on AT&Ts part but maybe your ISP is doing something. Couldn't hurt to check in with them. Did your MicroCell ever work or is this a new one?

6 of 9 (454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2011 6:30:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm inclined to believe it was some update. I don't recall it always having this issue, but I know it's been happening for some time. I had thought until recently that my internet was disconnecting for some reason, but have learned that isn't the case. So I've been aware of the problem for months, but am just now learning that it's the M-Cell and not my entire internet. 

I'm inclined to believe it was some update. I don't recall it always having this issue, but I know it's been happening for some time. I had thought until recently that my internet was disconnecting for some reason, but have learned that isn't the case. So I've been aware of the problem for months, but am just now learning that it's the M-Cell and not my entire internet. 

7 of 9 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2011 7:16:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's down again. Did not fix it. 

8 of 9 (434 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2011 10:30:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

GQSmoos wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad I'm assuming you found the port numbers to forward in other threads here. It was worth a try. If you're still under warranty maybe you can get it replaced. I had two replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, you'll have to go thru support to log the complaint in. You may even want to push them to send you over to billing to get a credit. I was able to get a credit that way.

GQSmoos wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad I'm assuming you found the port numbers to forward in other threads here. It was worth a try. If you're still under warranty maybe you can get it replaced. I had two replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, you'll have to go thru support to log the complaint in. You may even want to push them to send you over to billing to get a credit. I was able to get a credit that way.

9 of 9 (423 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments