Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 26, 2011
1:52:39 PM
View profile
$399 to upgrade iPhone?

Really?   Ok, so I know the phones are subsidzed and you are a business that has to make money.   Why not just take the four remaining months on my contract and add them to the end of a new two year contract and let me upgrade my phone?   And then there's the $18 "upgrade fee" which, when asked, nobody seems to be able to determine what that's for, exactly. All this and mediocre service quality - why do I stay?   Hmmmm

Looks like Sprint or Verizon will be getting a new customer come April...

Really?   Ok, so I know the phones are subsidzed and you are a business that has to make money.   Why not just take the four remaining months on my contract and add them to the end of a new two year contract and let me upgrade my phone?   And then there's the $18 "upgrade fee" which, when asked, nobody seems to be able to determine what that's for, exactly. All this and mediocre service quality - why do I stay?   Hmmmm

$399 to upgrade iPhone?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 2:36:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Dec 26, 2011 at 2:36:53 PM

and 20 months into that 24 month contract, you'll be in exactly the same spot. Including the activation fee (not upgrade fee) that comes with every new phone, with every carrier.

Honestly. It's exactly the same everywhere. Maybe you'll enjoy the exact same thing from Sprint or VZ more.

and 20 months into that 24 month contract, you'll be in exactly the same spot. Including the activation fee (not upgrade fee) that comes with every new phone, with every carrier.

Honestly. It's exactly the same everywhere. Maybe you'll enjoy the exact same thing from Sprint or VZ more.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: $399 to upgrade iPhone?

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 5:05:24 PM
(0)
Guru

John is right.....if you were with any other carrier it would be the exact same thing!! If you can't wait 4 more months for your upgrade eligibility then it may be in your best interest to pay your ETF and move to another carrier. Then 20 months later you will be in the exact same boat again.  Smiley Wink

ks11boy1 wrote:

John is right.....if you were with any other carrier it would be the exact same thing!! If you can't wait 4 more months for your upgrade eligibility then it may be in your best interest to pay your ETF and move to another carrier. Then 20 months later you will be in the exact same boat again.  Smiley Wink

ks11boy1 wrote:

3 of 7 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 9:33:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ks11boy1 wrote:
  Why not just take the four remaining months on my contract and add them to the end of a new two year contract and let me upgrade my phone?   ...

OK, so let's say that they did this, and you had a 28 month contract.  What happens when you want a new subsidized phone 20 months into that contract?  You have 8 months left.  Should they add that on so that your next contract would be 32 months?  This could keep going on forever!  Then the contract would be meaningless and it shouldn't be there at all.

ks11boy1 wrote:
  Why not just take the four remaining months on my contract and add them to the end of a new two year contract and let me upgrade my phone?   ...

OK, so let's say that they did this, and you had a 28 month contract.  What happens when you want a new subsidized phone 20 months into that contract?  You have 8 months left.  Should they add that on so that your next contract would be 32 months?  This could keep going on forever!  Then the contract would be meaningless and it shouldn't be there at all.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 8:58:22 AM
(0)
Guru

ks11boy1 wrote:

And then there's the $18 "upgrade fee" which, when asked, nobody seems to be able to determine what that's for, exactly. All this and mediocre service quality - why do I stay?   Hmmmm

Well if you were a new customer or an existing customer looking to add another line to your account, you'd be charged the $30 (I think that's the amount) activation fee even if you were doing so such that you can then purchase a phone at the subsidized price..so which boat would you rather be in, if you have a concern regarding the $18 upgrade fee?  Both the activation and upgrade fees are essentially "administrative" fees; we can argue all day as to whether such fees are fair and/or reasonable, but they are what they are.

ks11boy1 wrote:

And then there's the $18 "upgrade fee" which, when asked, nobody seems to be able to determine what that's for, exactly. All this and mediocre service quality - why do I stay?   Hmmmm

Well if you were a new customer or an existing customer looking to add another line to your account, you'd be charged the $30 (I think that's the amount) activation fee even if you were doing so such that you can then purchase a phone at the subsidized price..so which boat would you rather be in, if you have a concern regarding the $18 upgrade fee?  Both the activation and upgrade fees are essentially "administrative" fees; we can argue all day as to whether such fees are fair and/or reasonable, but they are what they are.

5 of 7 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 11:28:12 AM
(0)
Guru

The fee for a new line is $36 for AT&T; not sure what it is for the other carriers, but suspect it's similar. And those fees may be waived if you know who to ask and how to do so.

tonester wrote:

ks11boy1 wrote:

The fee for a new line is $36 for AT&T; not sure what it is for the other carriers, but suspect it's similar. And those fees may be waived if you know who to ask and how to do so.

tonester wrote:

ks11boy1 wrote:

6 of 7 (221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 4:03:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you are patient, there might be a new iPhone coming out next summer and you can upgrade to that. I'm not sure which phone you have now, but if it is the i4, the 4S is not that big of a jump, from what I have been told. If I had a 4, I certainly wouldn't upgrade at this point. If you don't have a 4, I would check Craigslist for a used 4. Then you wouldn't have an additional contract, you would have a new(er) phone and you likely could get out for much cheaper than $400.

If you are patient, there might be a new iPhone coming out next summer and you can upgrade to that. I'm not sure which phone you have now, but if it is the i4, the 4S is not that big of a jump, from what I have been told. If I had a 4, I certainly wouldn't upgrade at this point. If you don't have a 4, I would check Craigslist for a used 4. Then you wouldn't have an additional contract, you would have a new(er) phone and you likely could get out for much cheaper than $400.

7 of 7 (198 Views)