$30 Unlimited Data For Iphone on Verizon.

Teacher

$30 Unlimited Data For Iphone on Verizon.

I know there are people who hate Iphone on Verizon but I love it

At&T: Pay $15 get 200MB

Pay $25 get 2GB   [Compare above 2 plans...what a rip-off if we choose $15 plan.]

Verizon $30 - Unlimited DATA and very good network coverage

I hate to be AT&T customer[which I am for 3 years] but I had no other choice because I love Iphone. Now I am free to go Verizon...good bye AT&T

I am hoping AT&T atleast update $15 budget plan so that we get 500MB or more...

Come on AT&T you made enough money with Iphone, it's time to give back something to loyal customers....

Message 1 of 83 (3,869 Views)
Master

Re: $30 Unlimited Data For Iphone on Verizon.

Yes, it's likely that AT&T took the #1 spot because of a couple of factors - a) the # of iPhones they're activating quarter-over-quarter, b) the number of customers they were stealing from other carriers, esp. Verizon, and c) their very low churn rate (rate of customers lost).  The major reason Verizon ever surged into the #1 spot was because of the Alltel acquisition, which came with an instant 10+ million customers.

And AT&T adjusts their offerings in response to their competition.  This is not new, nor is it novel.  AT&T is going to offer the iPhone Hotspot service, as that is coming in the next build of iOS.

mar0987 wrote:
hey I did not claim it ....that is my response to someone in the previous post who claimed "AT&T took #1 slot from Verizon", so I said it is because of Iphone (of course it is my personal opinion)
Also checkout this.....seems to be At&T is feeling Verizon's heat !! [ AT&T to offer iPhone data tethering (same plan as Verizon) 
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/53910-att-to-offer-iphone-data-tethering

Message 76 of 83 (1,145 Views)
Expert

mar0987 wrote:
hey I did not claim it ....that is my response to someone in the previous post who claimed "AT&T took #1 slot from Verizon", so I said it is because of Iphone (of course it is my personal opinion)
Also checkout this.....seems to be At&T is feeling Verizon's heat !! [ AT&T to offer iPhone data tethering (same plan as Verizon) 
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/53910-att-to-offer-iphone-data-tethering
mar0987 wrote:

/rolf becasue of the iphone? you do realize the total number of users of the iphone is a very small minority of the total number of wireless customers that att has right? while they may hold the lead in smartphones - although I do doubt that also give the number of smarthpnes that att offers, it is by far not eh reason "AT7T took the #1 slot from Verizon" unless you have some documentation to prove otherwise it is just your opinion

Actually ATT already had tethering for the Iphone, required to have the 2GB plan for 25.00 and then they could add tethering for 20.00. That was in affect back when the new data plans went into affect. Will be curious to see if hotspot is in addition to the direct tethering costs. In any respect they are both 2GB caps - and it is really easy to exceed that quickly with multiple devices hung off the iphone

Message 77 of 83 (1,118 Views)
Scholar

I haven't been reading enough here lately, but is anyone discussing this as part of the ongoing data plan issues:

AT&T quietly offers unlimited data to potential Verizon iPhone switchers

I didn't see reference to it in this thread, so my apologies in advacne if it's already part of the discussion. 

Message 78 of 83 (1,093 Views)
Teacher

I know 2GB is not enough for tethering...but we have to live with it Smiley Sad

mar0987 wrote:

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/53910-att-to​-offer-iphone-data-tethering
mar0987 wrote:

/rolf becasue of the iphone? you do realize the total number of users of the iphone is a very small minority of the total number of wireless customers that att has right? while they may hold the lead in smartphones - although I do doubt that also give the number of smarthpnes that att offers, it is by far not eh reason "AT7T took the #1 slot from Verizon" unless you have some documentation to prove otherwise it is just your opinion

Actually ATT already had tethering for the Iphone, required to have the 2GB plan for 25.00 and then they could add tethering for 20.00. That was in affect back when the new data plans went into affect. Will be curious to see if hotspot is in addition to the direct tethering costs. In any respect they are both 2GB caps - and it is really easy to exceed that quickly with multiple devices hung off the iphone

Message 79 of 83 (1,042 Views)
ACE - Master

Acording to the copy of the press release I read,  the new hotspot (tethering) plan is now a Data Pro plan that requires you to purchase an additional 2GB of data in order to get the sharing with other devices.  They distinctly said that it was 4GB of data that is shared across all devices, and as extra data is used, it is still billed at $10 for each 1GB (or part there of).  While it didn't expressly call out USB or bluetooth tethering, is used the generic term of sharing the data connection with other devices which could include the current tethering.

What I would like to know more than that is if an existing user could get retroactive service on this new plan back at least to the begging of their current billing cycle.  I mean, if al that are doing is essentially adding an extra 2GB of data use to the plan they already have, why should users already on that plan have to wait another 10 days to get it, especially if they wil be or have already crossed the 2GB usage boundary?  This latest change is tempting me to actually make the switch away from my unlimited iPhone data plan.  Go with the Data Pro plan, and then when I will need it, add the hotspot for a month or two, much like the switching between the $15 and $25 data plans now.   Simple math says that if you have unimited data now, you are paying $180 for every 6 months.  If you have Data Pro for 6 months, with hot spot one month and one month with an extra 1GB usage you are paying $180.  This almost has me convinced to make the switch, except that I really don't want to give up my unlimited data (even though my heaviest usage month is this current month and I might finally go over 1GB thanks to watching a couple hours of NetFilx over 3G a couple weeks ago).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 80 of 83 (987 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

johninsj wrote:

tonester wrote:

johninsj wrote:

tonester wrote:

Shoot--at my house I'd be lucky to get even 1000 kbps...most of the time I get around 7-800 kbps...and no, I don't live out in the boonies.

Why would anyone use 3G at home where they've got broadband available?

Talk about a seemingly narrow-minded generalization--broadband availability doesn't necessarily mean that wireless access to said broadband must also be available

Specifically *at home* if one has broadband, and a phone that costs several hundred dollars, and service that runs well over $70/mo, one should be able to afford a $30 wifi router to allow oneself to use that fast, unlimited, broadband when at home.

What's odd (to me) is using 3G data if you're at home and have broadband available at home. What is narrow minded about that?

some people maybe are concerned with what they do on an iphone? im sure not everyone would like to broadcast what they are doing bc they are on wifi Smiley Wink

but you make a good point Smiley Happy

Message 81 of 83 (815 Views)
Tutor

hehehehe I have been their loyal customer since 1997 (Airtouch -> Cingular -> now AT&T premier customer), and I don't receive any special treatment.  Your 3 years tenure won't worth the effort. I lost my iphone when I travel and I have to use a non-smart phone.  So I have to turn off the data plan in 2009.  When I have a 1st gen iphone, I asked them to recognize the grandfather plan. "Absolutely Not" was the answer.  Smiley Sad My 8 years old son loves to use youtube on phone and look for lego's video.  2GB data won't be able to support the streaming.

In all fairness, AT&T run their business as they see fit.  If we have to leave them for the feature that they don't have, then we pack up and go.  There is no need for arguing or wishing. Smiley Happy

Message 82 of 83 (756 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

[ Edited ]

nvm

Message 83 of 83 (756 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.