Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 11, 2010
7:58:49 PM
View profile
2nd Microcell and still not working Cox customer

I'm not getting ANY emails from AT&T about my microcell activation.  Multiple reps 'don't understand why.'  So I have no idea what error code I'm getting but when I call AT&T I'm told that I'm active from there end but my MC isn't calling home for it's activation.  I didn't want to return the first one I got but a rep insisted that I should since we had tried all the trouble shooting and my address wasn't the issue.  They said I wasn't in a weird address area so it wasn't the issue that I've read about in here and I asked specifically if that was the issue.

I'm just beyond frustrated.  I have Cox cable and a Motorola Surfboard cable modem.  I have plugged the MC directly into the modem in order to get the item to activate with no success.

I have a NetGear router and the only thing I found outta this list to change was the MTU.  I have no other ports closed or open that I know of because I don't see any port rules listed in the router when I access it.

Router/Gateway Settings for proper AT&T 3G MicroCell™ operation:
o DHCP is on
o Port Blocking is either turned off or allowing ports 4500 and 500
o MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing MAC address of MicroCell
o IPSec Pass-through is Enabled
o MTU size is set to 1492
o Blocked Fragmented Packets is Disabled
o 3G MicroCell is connected to the first router connected to the broadband modem

(2) Try Setting "Port Forwarding" on ports 4500 and 500

I don't fully blame AT&T for the issues because Cisco should have an interface for us to connect to in order to see what's wrong.  AT&T, however, is only willing to read me the start up manual or charge me $50/hr to fix the connection issue.

What should I do?

And thank you to anyone who can help me.

I'm not getting ANY emails from AT&T about my microcell activation.  Multiple reps 'don't understand why.'  So I have no idea what error code I'm getting but when I call AT&T I'm told that I'm active from there end but my MC isn't calling home for it's activation.  I didn't want to return the first one I got but a rep insisted that I should since we had tried all the trouble shooting and my address wasn't the issue.  They said I wasn't in a weird address area so it wasn't the issue that I've read about in here and I asked specifically if that was the issue.

I'm just beyond frustrated.  I have Cox cable and a Motorola Surfboard cable modem.  I have plugged the MC directly into the modem in order to get the item to activate with no success.

I have a NetGear router and the only thing I found outta this list to change was the MTU.  I have no other ports closed or open that I know of because I don't see any port rules listed in the router when I access it.

Router/Gateway Settings for proper AT&T 3G MicroCell™ operation:
o DHCP is on
o Port Blocking is either turned off or allowing ports 4500 and 500
o MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing MAC address of MicroCell
o IPSec Pass-through is Enabled
o MTU size is set to 1492
o Blocked Fragmented Packets is Disabled
o 3G MicroCell is connected to the first router connected to the broadband modem

(2) Try Setting "Port Forwarding" on ports 4500 and 500

I don't fully blame AT&T for the issues because Cisco should have an interface for us to connect to in order to see what's wrong.  AT&T, however, is only willing to read me the start up manual or charge me $50/hr to fix the connection issue.

What should I do?

And thank you to anyone who can help me.

2nd Microcell and still not working Cox customer

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 9:53:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
Make sure you're not using 192.168.100.x range.
Make sure you're not using 192.168.100.x range.

Re: 2nd Microcell and still not working Cox customer

2 of 11 (2,682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 10:10:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Why is that IP Range an issue?

Why is that IP Range an issue?

3 of 11 (2,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 10:33:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

My actual IP?  It's not what you've listed.  Where would I find this range at?

Also, I'll add that I found out that I was supposed to use UDP port 500 & 4500.  I opened 500 but 4500 says it's already in use.  So...

I can say that I doubt this a UPnP device.  What a pain.

Did anyone make a list of routers that this thing doesn't work with?

My actual IP?  It's not what you've listed.  Where would I find this range at?

Also, I'll add that I found out that I was supposed to use UDP port 500 & 4500.  I opened 500 but 4500 says it's already in use.  So...

I can say that I doubt this a UPnP device.  What a pain.

Did anyone make a list of routers that this thing doesn't work with?

4 of 11 (2,672 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 6:51:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
I think the MC uses that range for it's IPSec tunnel and it conflicts. Mine didn't work until I changed the DHCP range on my router to 192.68.1.x.
I think the MC uses that range for it's IPSec tunnel and it conflicts. Mine didn't work until I changed the DHCP range on my router to 192.68.1.x.

5 of 11 (2,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 7:40:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I already use a 192.168.1.x so I'm good there.  I finally got a few things worked out and I'm still waiting for it to go through.  I'll post back if anything I did tonight helped.

I already use a 192.168.1.x so I'm good there.  I finally got a few things worked out and I'm still waiting for it to go through.  I'll post back if anything I did tonight helped.

6 of 11 (2,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 3:20:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, I unplugged the MC from my router and then attempted to open ports 500 and 4500.  I wasn't told this was necessary to open them.  Once I got them open I attempted another activation.  This time I finally got a response from AT&T.  It was a failure 103.  So thanks to this lovely forum I put in my neighbors address and it worked.  I'm in a new section of a subdivision and the other side of the street is 3-4yrs older than my side.

I finally got a Successful activation!  BUT that doesn't mean it's working.  I'm not getting the 3G signal.  So I checked for a few other ports I may need to open.  I opened 443/TCP.  123/UDP was 'currently in use' by another device... I'm currently letting the system restart again and if it's still not working I'll check port 123.

In the mean time.  Has anyone else with a Motorola cable modem (sb5101) got this thing working?  I'd hate for all this effort to be spent when the modem doesn't even work with it.

Thanks for the help guys.  Pretty soon we need to petition for a paycheck of some sort for helping out more customers than AT&T's own customer support. Smiley Wink

Okay, I unplugged the MC from my router and then attempted to open ports 500 and 4500.  I wasn't told this was necessary to open them.  Once I got them open I attempted another activation.  This time I finally got a response from AT&T.  It was a failure 103.  So thanks to this lovely forum I put in my neighbors address and it worked.  I'm in a new section of a subdivision and the other side of the street is 3-4yrs older than my side.

I finally got a Successful activation!  BUT that doesn't mean it's working.  I'm not getting the 3G signal.  So I checked for a few other ports I may need to open.  I opened 443/TCP.  123/UDP was 'currently in use' by another device... I'm currently letting the system restart again and if it's still not working I'll check port 123.

In the mean time.  Has anyone else with a Motorola cable modem (sb5101) got this thing working?  I'd hate for all this effort to be spent when the modem doesn't even work with it.

Thanks for the help guys.  Pretty soon we need to petition for a paycheck of some sort for helping out more customers than AT&T's own customer support. Smiley Wink

7 of 11 (2,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 10:40:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a Motorola SB5101 and I was able to activate the MicroCell.

I have a Motorola SB5101 and I was able to activate the MicroCell.

8 of 11 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 3:13:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's been a week since I was having this issue.  But I obviously have a life and can't spend days working on this crap so I left it alone for the week.  Blinking 3G light and all.  I went to bed last night with no MC reception at all.  So you can imagine how surprised I was to wake up this morning to M-Cell coverage on my phone.

There has to be an issue though because I haven't got better coverage at all.  3 bars of AT&T 3G signal and 3 bars of M-Cell signal. Smiley Sad  Nothing's better.  Also, I'm experiencing issues with my calls now.  I'm gonna keep playing with it but at the moment it sucks.

It's been a week since I was having this issue.  But I obviously have a life and can't spend days working on this crap so I left it alone for the week.  Blinking 3G light and all.  I went to bed last night with no MC reception at all.  So you can imagine how surprised I was to wake up this morning to M-Cell coverage on my phone.

There has to be an issue though because I haven't got better coverage at all.  3 bars of AT&T 3G signal and 3 bars of M-Cell signal. Smiley Sad  Nothing's better.  Also, I'm experiencing issues with my calls now.  I'm gonna keep playing with it but at the moment it sucks.

9 of 11 (2,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 8:32:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've got the same problem. I've opened all those same ports, tried putting it in DMZ, tried directly to the surfboard modem. Through the modem the computer light actually comes on but the bars just keep blinking. I've restarted it a dozen times over the last week. Still no notification, nothing working. I've spent hours reading posts online and basically nobody has a solution. Please respond if you think you know what actually worked for you. Thanks

I've got the same problem. I've opened all those same ports, tried putting it in DMZ, tried directly to the surfboard modem. Through the modem the computer light actually comes on but the bars just keep blinking. I've restarted it a dozen times over the last week. Still no notification, nothing working. I've spent hours reading posts online and basically nobody has a solution. Please respond if you think you know what actually worked for you. Thanks

10 of 11 (1,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2012 11:01:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

burntpepsi wrote:

I am in exactly the same boat. Who makes a product that takes 1 - 24 hours to work and doesn't include a lot of feedback from the system.

burntpepsi wrote:

I am in exactly the same boat. Who makes a product that takes 1 - 24 hours to work and doesn't include a lot of feedback from the system.

11 of 11 (1,023 Views)