2nd Backflip, is it possible to get a new model?

2nd Backflip, is it possible to get a new model?

My Backflip started acting up within the second week I got it. But me, being the optimist I am said to myself, "Oh probably no big deal. I can just restart the phone a couple times." My problems (will be discussed below) kept happening and I finally ended up calling about it. But it was too late. I should've called earlier but I didn't and because I had the phone for more than 30 days I got a new one sent to me.

This one phone started off okay, but laggier than the original. And again, the problems popped up again :/

1. Volume goes all the way up by itself. (This is scary and totally kills your ears)

2. Phone randomly turns off and on by itself.

3. Cannot send text messages to more than 2 people. 

4. When I type on the keyboard the wrong letters show up on the screen.

5. Can't answer calls because sometimes it's slow and I can't slide the green bar fast enough apparently.

6. Lost everything on my sd card twice because of a "damaged sd card". (I've learned to back everything up)

7. Music randomly pauses itself.

8. etc.

I've reformatted, clean erased, whatever it's called three times and I checked if I got it water damaged. I didn't.

So I've decided to go and talk to someone at my local AT&T store about it. I can't handle this anymore. So my questions are: 1) Is it possible that they'll give me a new model? I really don't want another Backflip.

2) And if they agree to give me different phone what could I choose?

Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 14 (2,685 Views)

Re: 2nd Backflip, is it possible to get a new model?

Come on guys? Any replies would be nice? Just a yes or a no would suffice at this point I guess....

Message 2 of 14 (2,594 Views)

There is no new model.  I'm on my 3rd now.  I have random rebooting, force closings of some apps, and of course poor battery life. 

Message 3 of 14 (2,544 Views)

I'm also unable to answer or disconnect from calls sometimes because the screen goes blank.  When this happens the only way to disconect is to power off the phone. 

Message 4 of 14 (2,507 Views)

I meant getting a different phone. This stuff is too frustrating.

Message 5 of 14 (2,448 Views)

You can get a replacement under warranty.  They will give you a refurb which really isn't fair since you will be turning in a new phone. 

Message 6 of 14 (2,440 Views)
Contributor

Hey guys, I have a friend who is a tech at AT&T. I have been having the same problems with mine. She believes the phone may be getting replaced with the Samsung Captivate when turned in with a warranty, but isn't 100% sure. She is going to check for me tomorrow, so I will reply between 4 & 6 in the afternoon and let you guys know what she found out. I feel your pain.

Message 7 of 14 (2,437 Views)

When you find out something please hop over to the Motorola forum on the Backflip and share the news with them.  That would mean that it will not be updated to 2.1.  That would explain the delay. 

Message 8 of 14 (2,376 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

If you go to the MOTO forum, you'll find AT&T, instead of purchasing a phone with a platform like the DROID, bought the older architecture & platform.  AT&T & MOTO promised upgrade to 2.1 back when the phone was released in March.  However, it was a way to keep from bleeding off customer's to VZW for DROID phones, but they didn't want to purchase a phone that would out perform the soon to be released i-phone 4, so as to not hurt sales.

Well, that certainly backfired.  i-phone 4 drops calls, needs a "special cover" to help resolve the problem, and meanwhile, MOTOROLA has pushed the 2.1 upgrade from quarter 3 to quarter 4.  The older platform was never designed to handle 2.1, because it had an inferior graphics accelerator.  Some people have used a mod for CLIQ users for 2.1 and upgraded it for Backflip, but installing a 3rd party 2.1 will void the warranty on your phone.  The 2.1 mod runs the phone faster, and that annoying sliding bar problem goes away.

Meanwhile, Apple seeing the loss of revenue to DROIDs is heading to VZW with a new i-phone in January, and Backflip users who bought the phone in March over joyed to think that AT&T actually heard us and was taking care of us, is now sad to realize it was a gimmick to keep from losing more customers to the DROIDs at VZW until the i-phone 4 could launch.

I'd say rather than AT&T having to suffer and wait for MOTO to finally release 2.1 on the very anniversary of the 1 year launch of the Backflip, and then watch it crash phones, endure horrible calls to Customer Service, and watch a class action lawsuit ensue for false advertising, should get MOTO to put the newer architecture into Backflip models, and ship you the Backflip 2 with 2.2 support installed with an apology to Backflip customers.  Would be cheaper in the long run, and might stop the bleeding of losing more customers to VZW.

AT&T.  You need to remember { Please keep it courteous }  because without us, you don't have business!

Message 9 of 14 (2,050 Views)

I recently reported to AT&T warranty department that I was having trouble with my 3rd Backflip.  Screen going blank so I couldn't answer or disconnect from a call.  Random reboots. Apps force closing. and very poor battery life and they had the nerve to offer to send me a 4th Backflip.  Sadly they don't care about any customers who don't have an iPhone. 

Message 10 of 14 (2,012 Views)
Tutor

I've been tolerating the random reboots for quite a while, but they seemed to be getting more frequent recently. So I took my phone to the ATT store and they weren't even aware there was a problem. He looked on the computer and said "an update was coming". I was hoping I could upgrade to a new and different Android phone like the Captiva, but he said I would have to wait 20 months until my 2-year contract was up or pay full value for a different phone. GRR. So rather than getting a refurbished Backflip, I thought I'd try the update, So today I tried downloading and installing the update manually, since they aren't even sending it out automatically. Well, I guess that was a mistake and I'll be taking my Backflip in for a trade anyway. Everything seemed to go fine. However, my phone is even worse than before. It boots up, but every time I try to do something it reboots. I can't even make a call. Double grr. Maybe it's time to switch to Verizon.

Message 11 of 14 (782 Views)

Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with the update. Reading the Motorola forum I see you are not alone. If you get one that actually works with 2.1 you will enjoy it. Good luck.
Message 12 of 14 (780 Views)
Tutor

Thanks. I guess I'll be taking it back to the store tomorrow for a refurb. I tried doing a factory reset, but it didn't help. I hope this unit is just a lemon. I do like the physical features of the phone. At the time, it was the only Android phone ATT had with a tempered glass screen like the iPhone, but I didn't want an iPhone. And, with my stubby fingers, I wanted a real keyboard. Oh well.

Message 13 of 14 (775 Views)

I have 2.1 and so far it"s been a good experiance. A few minor glitches but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a reset. Like I love the form and was really excited when it was announced. Hopefully AT&T and Motorola have learned something from this experiance. Yahoo was replaced with Google search and number of other improvements with 2.1.
Message 14 of 14 (772 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support