Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 10, 2010
8:39:06 AM
2 LITTLE GIGS. IS BULL

OK IM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT 2gigs ITS COOL FOR PPL THAT MAY NOT USE IT THAT MUCH. BUT IF YOU WANT UNLIMITED OR MAYBE 5 gig IT SHOULD BE OPTIONAL. i HAVE AN ATT AIR CARD $60 BUCKS FOR 5gigs AND TRUST ME ITS NOT ENOUGH. IF YOU GO TO DOWN LOADING APPS MUSIC ETC ETC YOU ARE GOING TO EAT THOSE GIGS UP. OK $25 FOR 2 MAYBE $35 FOR 5 AND $45 FOR UNLIMITED. THIS WAY YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU WANT. NOW PPL SAY WELL WHAT ABOUT TEATHERING. WELL I PAY $60 AMTH FOR 5gigs ON MY AIRCARD. IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE YOUR PHONE AS A MODEM THEN YOU SHOULD BE CHARGED THE SAME AS I AM(FAIR IS FAIR). ATT IS MAKING US PAY MORE FOR LESS. WE NEED TO SPEAK UP AND LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THIS IS REDICULOUSLY WRONG.

OK IM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT 2gigs ITS COOL FOR PPL THAT MAY NOT USE IT THAT MUCH. BUT IF YOU WANT UNLIMITED OR MAYBE 5 gig IT SHOULD BE OPTIONAL. i HAVE AN ATT AIR CARD $60 BUCKS FOR 5gigs AND TRUST ME ITS NOT ENOUGH. IF YOU GO TO DOWN LOADING APPS MUSIC ETC ETC YOU ARE GOING TO EAT THOSE GIGS UP. OK $25 FOR 2 MAYBE $35 FOR 5 AND $45 FOR UNLIMITED. THIS WAY YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU WANT. NOW PPL SAY WELL WHAT ABOUT TEATHERING. WELL I PAY $60 AMTH FOR 5gigs ON MY AIRCARD. IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE YOUR PHONE AS A MODEM THEN YOU SHOULD BE CHARGED THE SAME AS I AM(FAIR IS FAIR). ATT IS MAKING US PAY MORE FOR LESS. WE NEED TO SPEAK UP AND LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THIS IS REDICULOUSLY WRONG.

2 LITTLE GIGS. IS BULL

39 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(39)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 2:54:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I think that when AT&T made changes to the data plans, an option for unlimited data for a set fee should have been included.

I think that when AT&T made changes to the data plans, an option for unlimited data for a set fee should have been included.

Re: This Topic IS BULL

31 of 40 (244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 3:47:12 PM
(0)
Master

Wow...this topic keeps returning from the dead, like Jason.  There was no way for AT&T to continue having an unlimited plan without a lot of heartburn.  If they had kept it at the same price, nobody would have bought the 2GB plan.  If they made it more expensive, people would have complained about paying more for the very same thing.  

People whined for cheaper plans for years, even as those plans WERE getting cheaper.  I remember when my first PDA data plan was $45.  Well, guess what, careful what you wish for.  I said long ago that cheaper plans would come at the expense of the unlimited plan, and I was right.

Wow...this topic keeps returning from the dead, like Jason.  There was no way for AT&T to continue having an unlimited plan without a lot of heartburn.  If they had kept it at the same price, nobody would have bought the 2GB plan.  If they made it more expensive, people would have complained about paying more for the very same thing.  

People whined for cheaper plans for years, even as those plans WERE getting cheaper.  I remember when my first PDA data plan was $45.  Well, guess what, careful what you wish for.  I said long ago that cheaper plans would come at the expense of the unlimited plan, and I was right.

32 of 40 (241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 4:28:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RDBuck38 wrote:

Verizon still have the unlimited data plan for 30.00. AT&T is ripping there customer off with there 2gig data plan with there 10.00 1gig over plan. I would for won would 5.00 more for umlimited data because you would save money in the long run. and if you go to Verizon and get there data for unlimited you would be grandfather in with that plan. I won one been with AT&T for 10 years and got my first smartphone and then found out the only do a 2gig data instead of a unlimited I was what the crap. So I am going to Verizon because they have better coverage and data plan.  It is plan crap and a rip off to pay 25.00 for 2gig and then 10.00 for 1gig over when use can make a plan for 30.00 for unlimited data.

I disagree.

Have fun with Verizon. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

RDBuck38 wrote:

Verizon still have the unlimited data plan for 30.00. AT&T is ripping there customer off with there 2gig data plan with there 10.00 1gig over plan. I would for won would 5.00 more for umlimited data because you would save money in the long run. and if you go to Verizon and get there data for unlimited you would be grandfather in with that plan. I won one been with AT&T for 10 years and got my first smartphone and then found out the only do a 2gig data instead of a unlimited I was what the crap. So I am going to Verizon because they have better coverage and data plan.  It is plan crap and a rip off to pay 25.00 for 2gig and then 10.00 for 1gig over when use can make a plan for 30.00 for unlimited data.

I disagree.

Have fun with Verizon. Smiley Wink

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T Data Plan

33 of 40 (238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 3:28:57 AM
(0)
Expert

Cams wrote:

lets see - that 5GB mobile broad band cost is 60.00, so possibly 70-80 would be a pretty good starting point for unlimited data. They need to bring the 5GB plan to the phone section of wireless.

Cams wrote:

lets see - that 5GB mobile broad band cost is 60.00, so possibly 70-80 would be a pretty good starting point for unlimited data. They need to bring the 5GB plan to the phone section of wireless.

34 of 40 (224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 4:37:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

Not your fault, it says it. I think people will just argue with anything sometimes.

My bad for not seeing it as Verizon, but I've heard that ATT has very similar terms in their contracts (gonna look that up myself after posting this)

Also don't think my question was an argument for arguments sake. I asked a valid question, wondering what they considered 'continuous' streaming.

I guess some people will post criticisms for criticism sake.

Not your fault, it says it. I think people will just argue with anything sometimes.

My bad for not seeing it as Verizon, but I've heard that ATT has very similar terms in their contracts (gonna look that up myself after posting this)

Also don't think my question was an argument for arguments sake. I asked a valid question, wondering what they considered 'continuous' streaming.

35 of 40 (191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 4:49:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

ATT's terms are similar to Verizon's but seem to allow a bit more leeway(perhaps a result of the iphone and it's inherent media apps).

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Except as may otherwise be specifically
permitted or prohibited for select data plans, data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i)
Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual
productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). While most
common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain
uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited.
Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) server devices or host computer
applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated
machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines,
landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections; (iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated
or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or email
use by others; (iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating
unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other
people or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including
"denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) accessing, or attempting to
access without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of
AT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems; (vii) software or other devices that maintain
continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep
alive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time.
This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired
songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services,
redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of
servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited. Furthermore,
plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the
device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/Smartphone-to computer
accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation,
laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify
and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose
usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including
without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect
its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate
data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the
Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are
not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers,
with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies. Security:

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Except as may otherwise be specificallypermitted or prohibited for select data plans, data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i)Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individualproductivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). While mostcommon uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certainuses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited.Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) server devices or host computerapplications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automatedmachine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines,landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections; (iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automatedor manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or emailuse by others; (iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitatingunsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of otherpeople or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including"denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) accessing, or attempting toaccess without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures ofAT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems; (vii) software or other devices that maintaincontinuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keepalive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time.This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquiredsongs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services,redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation ofservers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited. Furthermore,plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether thedevice (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/Smartphone-to computeraccessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation,laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modifyand/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whoseusage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, includingwithout limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protectits wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimatedata flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use theServices other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and arenot for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers,with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies. Security:

ATT's terms are similar to Verizon's but seem to allow a bit more leeway(perhaps a result of the iphone and it's inherent media apps).

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Except as may otherwise be specifically
permitted or prohibited for select data plans, data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i)
Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual
productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). While most
common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain
uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited.
Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) server devices or host computer
applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated
machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines,
landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections; (iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated
or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or email
use by others; (iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating
unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other
people or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including
"denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) accessing, or attempting to
access without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of
AT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems; (vii) software or other devices that maintain
continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep
alive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time.
This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired
songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services,
redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of
servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited. Furthermore,
plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the
device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/Smartphone-to computer
accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation,
laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify
and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose
usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including
without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect
its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate
data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the
Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are
not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers,
with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies. Security:

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Except as may otherwise be specificallypermitted or prohibited for select data plans, data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i)Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individualproductivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). While mostcommon uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certainuses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited.Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) server devices or host computerapplications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automatedmachine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines,landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections; (iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automatedor manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or emailuse by others; (iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitatingunsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of otherpeople or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including"denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) accessing, or attempting toaccess without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures ofAT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems; (vii) software or other devices that maintaincontinuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keepalive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time.This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquiredsongs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services,redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation ofservers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited. Furthermore,plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether thedevice (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/Smartphone-to computeraccessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation,laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modifyand/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whoseusage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, includingwithout limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protectits wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimatedata flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use theServices other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and arenot for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers,with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies. Security:

36 of 40 (188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 3:44:39 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

that answer is one of the that are open to interpetation - 4 or 5 hours a day on one sitting can be considered continous, or 2 hours at one sitting can be considered continous. Seems like it is basicly set in lawyer speak to let them make the determination.

diagoro wrote:

that answer is one of the that are open to interpetation - 4 or 5 hours a day on one sitting can be considered continous, or 2 hours at one sitting can be considered continous. Seems like it is basicly set in lawyer speak to let them make the determination.

37 of 40 (178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 12:08:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by arrianne on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:55:20 PM

Hi

to get the blackberry torch what's the least time for contarct period?

i want a  1-year contract is that possible without any penalties

Can you send me a copy of the contract

i'm a pototenial customer.

Send reply as email to { Personal information removed }

Thanks

Arrianne

Hi

Thanks

Arrianne

[ Edited ]
38 of 40 (147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 1:47:57 PM
(0)
Expert

arrianne wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Arrianne

contract is available on ATT websites in the FAQS section

Have only seen 2 years and no commitment, 2 years you get a subsidized phone, no commitment you pay full price.  Verizon is the only one that I can recall with a 1 yr commitment - and I think that is business level only

arrianne wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Arrianne

contract is available on ATT websites in the FAQS section

Have only seen 2 years and no commitment, 2 years you get a subsidized phone, no commitment you pay full price.  Verizon is the only one that I can recall with a 1 yr commitment - and I think that is business level only

39 of 40 (135 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 1:49:17 PM
(0)
Guru

arrianne wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Arrianne

There are two options for commitment levels

1. No commitment (no contract) in which you pay full retail price for the phone...or...

2. 24 month contract in which you get the phone at the lower subsidized cost.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.

arrianne wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Arrianne

There are two options for commitment levels

1. No commitment (no contract) in which you pay full retail price for the phone...or...

2. 24 month contract in which you get the phone at the lower subsidized cost.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

40 of 40 (134 Views)