Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 22, 2011
5:08:04 PM
2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Infuse
Hey guy! Has anyone heard any news on the gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse? I talked to a At&t representive today and she told me that we will get the update buy early December. Does anyone known if this is true?
Hey guy! Has anyone heard any news on the gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse? I talked to a At&t representive today and she told me that we will get the update buy early December. Does anyone known if this is true?

2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Infuse

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 5:33:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

WOW!  Every online chat rep that I have interacted with has told me that they don't show any updates pending, that ATT is not responsible for software, and that if I want, I can try to get answers from Samsung.  In short, I would not hold my breath.

WOW!  Every online chat rep that I have interacted with has told me that they don't show any updates pending, that ATT is not responsible for software, and that if I want, I can try to get answers from Samsung.  In short, I would not hold my breath.

Re: 2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Infuse

2 of 27 (7,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 6:37:38 PM
(0)
Master

Donlavon wrote:

The press release says Yes it is coming.  It just doesn't say when.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

Donlavon wrote:

The press release says Yes it is coming.  It just doesn't say when.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 27 (7,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 3:18:43 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by slickhead on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:19:34 PM

It's obvious that Samsung isn't responsible for the update because the Infuse used by Rogers in Canada comes with Gingerbread on it.

AT&T has to approve the release and make sure it works with all the bloatware and other useless crap they put on the phone.

Those reps don't even know what Gingerbread is.

They need to give us Ice Cream sandwich and just skip Gingerbread!! We'll be lucky to get Gingerbread by the time the release after Ice Cream Sandwich is out!!

It's obvious that Samsung isn't responsible for the update because the Infuse used by Rogers in Canada comes with Gingerbread on it.

AT&T has to approve the release and make sure it works with all the bloatware and other useless crap they put on the phone.

Those reps don't even know what Gingerbread is.

They need to give us Ice Cream sandwich and just skip Gingerbread!! We'll be lucky to get Gingerbread by the time the release after Ice Cream Sandwich is out!!

[ Edited ]
4 of 27 (7,251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 4:17:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yea, everybody knowns that it's at&t's fault since Rogers has gingerbread on there infuse. Samsung probably release the update months ago. If were lucky, at&t may release the update by the end of the year but I dont think they will.
Yea, everybody knowns that it's at&t's fault since Rogers has gingerbread on there infuse. Samsung probably release the update months ago. If were lucky, at&t may release the update by the end of the year but I dont think they will.

5 of 27 (7,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 4:08:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just herad that Att is Rank # 4 in the list of cell phone co , one of the reason is poor service like trying to get  Gingerbread software out of them when they said it was going to be out by the end of Dec ,it would be nice to uses the camera on the front of the phone but there is no software for it like Gingerbread.......

I just herad that Att is Rank # 4 in the list of cell phone co , one of the reason is poor service like trying to get  Gingerbread software out of them when they said it was going to be out by the end of Dec ,it would be nice to uses the camera on the front of the phone but there is no software for it like Gingerbread.......

6 of 27 (6,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 1:55:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by RainmanP on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:00:48 PM

Especially galling since Rogers in Canada released Gingerbread update for Infuse a couple of months ago.  So Samsung has obviously done the firmware.  ATT just has to make absolutely certain we don't get access to some native feature of the phone/firmware that they don't want us to have.  Like voice dialing and other nefarious functions.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know!  Customer service oriented company that they are they are going to give us a big Christmas surprise and upgrade us to Ice Cream Sandwich on Christmas Eve!  What do you think?

Especially galling since Rogers in Canada released Gingerbread update for Infuse a couple of months ago.  So Samsung has obviously done the firmware.  ATT just has to make absolutely certain we don't get access to some native feature of the phone/firmware that they don't want us to have.  Like voice dialing and other nefarious functions.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know!  Customer service oriented company that they are they are going to give us a big Christmas surprise and upgrade us to Ice Cream Sandwich on Christmas Eve!  What do you think?

[ Edited ]
7 of 27 (6,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 1:48:28 AM
(0)
Employee
I've always said if you really need that update root and install yourself, otherwise you probably don't need it
I've always said if you really need that update root and install yourself, otherwise you probably don't need it
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 27 (5,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 7:05:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

The update is coming, and hopefully this means it will release in two weeks. We already know ATT has it they just need to release it.

The update is coming, and hopefully this means it will release in two weeks. We already know ATT has it they just need to release it.

9 of 27 (5,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 2:13:10 PM
(0)
Guru

Ask those that bought the Dell Streak about updates.

I bought mine direct from Dell over a year ago, because I didn't want the at&t garbage.

The ones that had the carrier locked ones had to wait til around January 2011 JUST to get Froyo!

AT&T doesn't release the updates, because it goes against their business model (except for the iPhone).

Why offer new features that would benefit a current customer?  Just delay, delay delay the release, then,

after a year tell them that well, we can't really update this OLD phone, you won't have a good user experience.

BUT, if you buy this NEW model, for 199.99, and extend your contract for 2 more years, and of course since you

are extending your contract, that means you'll have to have our new expensive phone & data plan, which is worse

than the one you currently have, THEN you can have this new whizbang device that has all of the features WE want

you to have, but none of the features that YOU really want.

This, is the business model in the USA for wireless devices.  I have business friends who travel overseas and they

say the selection of devices is simply amazing!  In the USA, you have the iJunk and a few other devices.

Ask those that bought the Dell Streak about updates.

I bought mine direct from Dell over a year ago, because I didn't want the at&t garbage.

The ones that had the carrier locked ones had to wait til around January 2011 JUST to get Froyo!

AT&T doesn't release the updates, because it goes against their business model (except for the iPhone).

Why offer new features that would benefit a current customer?  Just delay, delay delay the release, then,

after a year tell them that well, we can't really update this OLD phone, you won't have a good user experience.

BUT, if you buy this NEW model, for 199.99, and extend your contract for 2 more years, and of course since you

are extending your contract, that means you'll have to have our new expensive phone & data plan, which is worse

than the one you currently have, THEN you can have this new whizbang device that has all of the features WE want

you to have, but none of the features that YOU really want.

This, is the business model in the USA for wireless devices.  I have business friends who travel overseas and they

say the selection of devices is simply amazing!  In the USA, you have the iJunk and a few other devices.

10 of 27 (5,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 7:20:21 AM
(0)
Guru

RainmanP wrote:

Actually, at least in the case of Infuse, AT&T had a valid reason for 1-2 months delay.  UXKG3 (Gingerbread for the Rogers Infuse) was kinda half-baked - video recording limited to 15 fps, no HDMI support, a few other weird problems.

However, the current delay is ridiculous - but after the Carrier IQ media frenzy and looking at the leaks that started coming in September, it's obvious why - AT&T was trying to shoehorn in Carrier IQ spyware, and then pulled it suddenly in the latest (UCKL2) leak.

RainmanP wrote:

Actually, at least in the case of Infuse, AT&T had a valid reason for 1-2 months delay.  UXKG3 (Gingerbread for the Rogers Infuse) was kinda half-baked - video recording limited to 15 fps, no HDMI support, a few other weird problems.

However, the current delay is ridiculous - but after the Carrier IQ media frenzy and looking at the leaks that started coming in September, it's obvious why - AT&T was trying to shoehorn in Carrier IQ spyware, and then pulled it suddenly in the latest (UCKL2) leak.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

11 of 27 (5,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 5:21:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I spoke yesterday to ATT tech support and their customer service and they told me that there is no date announced when Gingerbread for Infuse will be released, or whether it will be released at all which contradics this news release from July: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

I bought Infuse in early September thinking that Gingerbread is coming soon on Infuse (based on above news release from ATT), but after talking to customer service and their management the conclusion is that I am basically stupid for trusting ATT's announcements and that ATT will not do absolutely anything to fix the problem they've created. Soon it will be 6 months since above news release has been published and 1 year since Gingerbread has been released, so I suggest that all Infuse and other Andorid owners mentioned in above news release (HTC Inspire™ 4G, LG Phoenix™, Motorola ATRIX™ 4G, Pantech Crossover™, Samsung Captivate™ and Samsung Infuse™ 4G) owners

start calling ATT customer service at 800-331-0500 and demand Gingerbread upgrade for their phone or their phone to be replaced with comparable phone that runs Gingerbread. That's what I am doing and I will not stop until ATT either provides me Gingerbread update for Infuse or replaced my phone with a comparable phone which runs Gingerbread. I am tired of running a phone with reduced functionality and battery life due to bad power management which Gingerbread update can fix.

I spoke yesterday to ATT tech support and their customer service and they told me that there is no date announced when Gingerbread for Infuse will be released, or whether it will be released at all which contradics this news release from July: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

I bought Infuse in early September thinking that Gingerbread is coming soon on Infuse (based on above news release from ATT), but after talking to customer service and their management the conclusion is that I am basically stupid for trusting ATT's announcements and that ATT will not do absolutely anything to fix the problem they've created. Soon it will be 6 months since above news release has been published and 1 year since Gingerbread has been released, so I suggest that all Infuse and other Andorid owners mentioned in above news release (HTC Inspire™ 4G, LG Phoenix™, Motorola ATRIX™ 4G, Pantech Crossover™, Samsung Captivate™ and Samsung Infuse™ 4G) owners

start calling ATT customer service at 800-331-0500 and demand Gingerbread upgrade for their phone or their phone to be replaced with comparable phone that runs Gingerbread. That's what I am doing and I will not stop until ATT either provides me Gingerbread update for Infuse or replaced my phone with a comparable phone which runs Gingerbread. I am tired of running a phone with reduced functionality and battery life due to bad power management which Gingerbread update can fix.

12 of 27 (4,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 2:00:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

AT&t sure is taking there sweet time releasing an update on a phone that was suppose to have it snice it's release. If they don't release it by the end of the week iam going to root and install it myself.

AT&t sure is taking there sweet time releasing an update on a phone that was suppose to have it snice it's release. If they don't release it by the end of the week iam going to root and install it myself.

13 of 27 (4,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 10:40:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

only problem with rooting is that you'll loose warranty (I am not too worried about this), but I have not found Gingerbread ROM which has working Blutooth and that is important for me.

only problem with rooting is that you'll loose warranty (I am not too worried about this), but I have not found Gingerbread ROM which has working Blutooth and that is important for me.

14 of 27 (4,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 1:23:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am on the phone with them now and this is the most frustrating customer support call i've ever had.

i don't think this girl i'm talking to even knows what froyo, gingerbread and ICS even are....

she just told me she found the update and sent me to HTC's website to download it.

WOW talk about incompetent.

I am on the phone with them now and this is the most frustrating customer support call i've ever had.

i don't think this girl i'm talking to even knows what froyo, gingerbread and ICS even are....

she just told me she found the update and sent me to HTC's website to download it.

WOW talk about incompetent.

15 of 27 (4,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 2:36:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

ok so after 1.5 hours on the phone this is what i found out.

1. att customer service reps are totally clueless about their devices.

2. there is no date set for gingerbread to be released on the infuse.

3. if you are persistant enough you can get a $100 credit on your bill.

please do not gripe just to get this credit.  i purchased this phone because i thought it was going to get gingerbread quickly.  it has been too long and ICS is already rolling out on some phones.  only call if you bought under these pretenses.

i have been a loyal ATT customer since they were Cingular.  this is the first real complaint i've had with them.  i would have like a full upgrade to a new phone, but they said that since i was elgible for an upgrade they would credit me $100 dollars on my next bill and i could just go into a store and use my new upgrade.

ok so after 1.5 hours on the phone this is what i found out.

1. att customer service reps are totally clueless about their devices.

2. there is no date set for gingerbread to be released on the infuse.

3. if you are persistant enough you can get a $100 credit on your bill.

please do not gripe just to get this credit.  i purchased this phone because i thought it was going to get gingerbread quickly.  it has been too long and ICS is already rolling out on some phones.  only call if you bought under these pretenses.

i have been a loyal ATT customer since they were Cingular.  this is the first real complaint i've had with them.  i would have like a full upgrade to a new phone, but they said that since i was elgible for an upgrade they would credit me $100 dollars on my next bill and i could just go into a store and use my new upgrade.

16 of 27 (4,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 4:14:18 PM
(0)
Guru

dnd108 wrote:

Bluetooth in any Gingerbread ROM for Infuse is as good as it was in Froyo, except for CM7 and MIUI.

dnd108 wrote:

Bluetooth in any Gingerbread ROM for Infuse is as good as it was in Froyo, except for CM7 and MIUI.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

17 of 27 (4,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 1:16:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had to cancel one line from my family plan.

So they were trying to ask me why I wanted to cancel.

I told them because my Samsung Infuse did not have Gingerbread.

After 30 minutes of mind numbing waste of time.

They said the instruction to downloading Ginger bread is on the Samsung web page.

A big fat lie...

Last time I complained the answer they gave me, was talk to Android/Google.

AT&T's customer service is going from bad to super bad.

I had to cancel one line from my family plan.

So they were trying to ask me why I wanted to cancel.

I told them because my Samsung Infuse did not have Gingerbread.

After 30 minutes of mind numbing waste of time.

They said the instruction to downloading Ginger bread is on the Samsung web page.

A big fat lie...

Last time I complained the answer they gave me, was talk to Android/Google.

AT&T's customer service is going from bad to super bad.

18 of 27 (2,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2012 2:10:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
This is one of the biggest customer service failures. I bought the phone with the assurance that I would be able to update to 2.3. Six months later and no hint of an update. I love my infuse, but it has some problems. From my research 2.3 WILL FIX ALL OF MY PROBLEMS. I have been a customer for over 15 years. This issue with gingerbread is enough for me to begin looking for a new carrier.
This is one of the biggest customer service failures. I bought the phone with the assurance that I would be able to update to 2.3. Six months later and no hint of an update. I love my infuse, but it has some problems. From my research 2.3 WILL FIX ALL OF MY PROBLEMS. I have been a customer for over 15 years. This issue with gingerbread is enough for me to begin looking for a new carrier.

19 of 27 (2,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 9:14:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

20 of 27 (1,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 9:58:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
Couldn't find it on Samsung's website...
Couldn't find it on Samsung's website...

21 of 27 (1,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 1:55:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Has anyone been able to get this to download or update? I've tried the Kies Mini and the direct download from Samsung and both are still unavailable. Is this Samsung dropping the ball? or a slammed server? 

Has anyone been able to get this to download or update? I've tried the Kies Mini and the direct download from Samsung and both are still unavailable. Is this Samsung dropping the ball? or a slammed server? 

22 of 27 (1,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 2:08:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ran the upgrade this morning without a hitch.  My Infuse is noticeably more responsive, and I'm hoping that the battery-saving improvements pan out as promised.

Here's what I did:

1) Installed Kies from Samsung site

2) Registered Infuse on same site

3) Waited a while, then upgraded

I got an "Unregistered Device" message when I first tried running Kies, which led me to believe step 2 was necessary.  The message persisted until this morning, which makes me think some time is needed for the registration data to make it over to the firmware update server.

Good luck, all!

Ran the upgrade this morning without a hitch.  My Infuse is noticeably more responsive, and I'm hoping that the battery-saving improvements pan out as promised.

Here's what I did:

1) Installed Kies from Samsung site

2) Registered Infuse on same site

3) Waited a while, then upgraded

I got an "Unregistered Device" message when I first tried running Kies, which led me to believe step 2 was necessary.  The message persisted until this morning, which makes me think some time is needed for the registration data to make it over to the firmware update server.

Good luck, all!

23 of 27 (1,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 5:38:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
whats the best way to find out when / if it comes? just read here i guess?

i had a sky rocket with GB.. had to sell it and now have an infuse with froyo.. i kinda dont see much of a difference between the two..
whats the best way to find out when / if it comes? just read here i guess?

i had a sky rocket with GB.. had to sell it and now have an infuse with froyo.. i kinda dont see much of a difference between the two..

24 of 27 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 7:19:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
See, the reason for the update not coming out so fast or even now. There were and still are problems with the infuse, i previously had one also! So when you look back at the phones that have had problems, many at that, the OS updates are put on hold! Just like LG Thrill just got the official 2.3 update, i believe it was yesterday and Thrill has been out for awhile. But now, heres the twist: HTC Vivid just got ICS March 22, 2012. That phone has been out for close to 4months! So you do the math.
See, the reason for the update not coming out so fast or even now. There were and still are problems with the infuse, i previously had one also! So when you look back at the phones that have had problems, many at that, the OS updates are put on hold! Just like LG Thrill just got the official 2.3 update, i believe it was yesterday and Thrill has been out for awhile. But now, heres the twist: HTC Vivid just got ICS March 22, 2012. That phone has been out for close to 4months! So you do the math.

25 of 27 (861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 8:07:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

so basically no one knows anything LOL

so basically no one knows anything LOL

26 of 27 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 6:46:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
Correct, at&t will tell you 1 thing, then you could search threw at&t news and find out something new. But honestly, there is an update to gingerbread threw Kies.
Correct, at&t will tell you 1 thing, then you could search threw at&t news and find out something new. But honestly, there is an update to gingerbread threw Kies.

27 of 27 (777 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments