2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Infuse

Tutor

2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Infuse

Hey guy! Has anyone heard any news on the gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse? I talked to a At&t representive today and she told me that we will get the update buy early December. Does anyone known if this is true?
Message 1 of 27
Mentor

Re: 2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Infuse

WOW!  Every online chat rep that I have interacted with has told me that they don't show any updates pending, that ATT is not responsible for software, and that if I want, I can try to get answers from Samsung.  In short, I would not hold my breath.

Message 2 of 27
Master

Donlavon wrote:
Hey guy! Has anyone heard any news on the gingerbread update for the Samsung Infuse? I talked to a At&t representive today and she told me that we will get the update buy early December. Does anyone known if this is true?

The press release says Yes it is coming.  It just doesn't say when.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 27
Voyager

It's obvious that Samsung isn't responsible for the update because the Infuse used by Rogers in Canada comes with Gingerbread on it.

AT&T has to approve the release and make sure it works with all the bloatware and other useless crap they put on the phone.

Those reps don't even know what Gingerbread is.

They need to give us Ice Cream sandwich and just skip Gingerbread!! We'll be lucky to get Gingerbread by the time the release after Ice Cream Sandwich is out!!

Message 4 of 27
Tutor

Yea, everybody knowns that it's at&t's fault since Rogers has gingerbread on there infuse. Samsung probably release the update months ago. If were lucky, at&t may release the update by the end of the year but I dont think they will.
Message 5 of 27
Contributor

I just herad that Att is Rank # 4 in the list of cell phone co , one of the reason is poor service like trying to get  Gingerbread software out of them when they said it was going to be out by the end of Dec ,it would be nice to uses the camera on the front of the phone but there is no software for it like Gingerbread.......

Message 6 of 27
Mentor

Especially galling since Rogers in Canada released Gingerbread update for Infuse a couple of months ago.  So Samsung has obviously done the firmware.  ATT just has to make absolutely certain we don't get access to some native feature of the phone/firmware that they don't want us to have.  Like voice dialing and other nefarious functions.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know!  Customer service oriented company that they are they are going to give us a big Christmas surprise and upgrade us to Ice Cream Sandwich on Christmas Eve!  What do you think?

Message 7 of 27
Employee

I've always said if you really need that update root and install yourself, otherwise you probably don't need it
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 27
Scholar

The update is coming, and hopefully this means it will release in two weeks. We already know ATT has it they just need to release it.

Message 9 of 27
Guru

Ask those that bought the Dell Streak about updates.

I bought mine direct from Dell over a year ago, because I didn't want the at&t garbage.

The ones that had the carrier locked ones had to wait til around January 2011 JUST to get Froyo!

AT&T doesn't release the updates, because it goes against their business model (except for the iPhone).

Why offer new features that would benefit a current customer?  Just delay, delay delay the release, then,

after a year tell them that well, we can't really update this OLD phone, you won't have a good user experience.

BUT, if you buy this NEW model, for 199.99, and extend your contract for 2 more years, and of course since you

are extending your contract, that means you'll have to have our new expensive phone & data plan, which is worse

than the one you currently have, THEN you can have this new whizbang device that has all of the features WE want

you to have, but none of the features that YOU really want.

This, is the business model in the USA for wireless devices.  I have business friends who travel overseas and they

say the selection of devices is simply amazing!  In the USA, you have the iJunk and a few other devices.

Message 10 of 27

RainmanP wrote:

Especially galling since Rogers in Canada released Gingerbread update for Infuse a couple of months ago.  So Samsung has obviously done the firmware.  ATT just has to make absolutely certain we don't get access to some native feature of the phone/firmware that they don't want us to have.  Like voice dialing and other nefarious functions.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know!  Customer service oriented company that they are they are going to give us a big Christmas surprise and upgrade us to Ice Cream Sandwich on Christmas Eve!  What do you think?

Actually, at least in the case of Infuse, AT&T had a valid reason for 1-2 months delay.  UXKG3 (Gingerbread for the Rogers Infuse) was kinda half-baked - video recording limited to 15 fps, no HDMI support, a few other weird problems.

However, the current delay is ridiculous - but after the Carrier IQ media frenzy and looking at the leaks that started coming in September, it's obvious why - AT&T was trying to shoehorn in Carrier IQ spyware, and then pulled it suddenly in the latest (UCKL2) leak.

Message 11 of 27
Tutor

I spoke yesterday to ATT tech support and their customer service and they told me that there is no date announced when Gingerbread for Infuse will be released, or whether it will be released at all which contradics this news release from July: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

I bought Infuse in early September thinking that Gingerbread is coming soon on Infuse (based on above news release from ATT), but after talking to customer service and their management the conclusion is that I am basically stupid for trusting ATT's announcements and that ATT will not do absolutely anything to fix the problem they've created. Soon it will be 6 months since above news release has been published and 1 year since Gingerbread has been released, so I suggest that all Infuse and other Andorid owners mentioned in above news release (HTC Inspire™ 4G, LG Phoenix™, Motorola ATRIX™ 4G, Pantech Crossover™, Samsung Captivate™ and Samsung Infuse™ 4G) owners

start calling ATT customer service at 800-331-0500 and demand Gingerbread upgrade for their phone or their phone to be replaced with comparable phone that runs Gingerbread. That's what I am doing and I will not stop until ATT either provides me Gingerbread update for Infuse or replaced my phone with a comparable phone which runs Gingerbread. I am tired of running a phone with reduced functionality and battery life due to bad power management which Gingerbread update can fix.

Message 12 of 27
Tutor

AT&t sure is taking there sweet time releasing an update on a phone that was suppose to have it snice it's release. If they don't release it by the end of the week iam going to root and install it myself.

Message 13 of 27
Tutor

only problem with rooting is that you'll loose warranty (I am not too worried about this), but I have not found Gingerbread ROM which has working Blutooth and that is important for me.

Message 14 of 27
Contributor

I am on the phone with them now and this is the most frustrating customer support call i've ever had.

i don't think this girl i'm talking to even knows what froyo, gingerbread and ICS even are....

she just told me she found the update and sent me to HTC's website to download it.

WOW talk about incompetent.

Message 15 of 27
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support