2.2 update for all captivate owners

Mentor

2.2 update for all captivate owners

samsung said that they are stoping all 2.2 updates due to the fact that it's bricking all the captivates in canada talked to a guy today at the mall says we are not getting the 2.2 till may. i got the info by google search type in 2.2 update for samsung captivate att.

Message 1 of 42
Master

Re: 2.2 update for all captivate owners

Wait, what? Froyo isn't officially available for the Fascinate either. There is a rooted leak, of course, but not official.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 31 of 42
Scholar

I have been on Android 2.2.1 for over a month now, with a variety of Darky ROMs.

Just like the 'official' ROM that came with the Captivate, there are a few annoyances here and there, but:

wireless tethering works;

voice dialing over bluetooth works;

live wallpapers samething;

there is no lag, and everything is blazing fast;

I can install any app I want, even those outside the market;

I have no recollection about ATT apps and what they were doing.

To get to this point, did require some tinkering and wading through XDA postings.

I was a Windows Mobile afficianado just 6 months ago, but got tired waiting for firmware updates for the Samsung Epic. I went for the $0 Aria at Dell, and I have never looked back. Bought a Captivate off Craigslist, to get a bigger screen.

Instead of waiting and waiting and speculating about Android 2.2, I have educated myself on rooting and flashing ROMs. There is a large community of developers and ROM chefs that is hard at work every day to create and improve their ROMS. While you guys are still investing time in speculation, they are busy porting Gingerbread (Andorid 3.0). My Captivate currently already has many Gingerbread features, and pretty soon the underlying OS will be 3.0 as well.

It only takes a few hours to do your home work and be rooted and flashed to Android 2.2!

Message 32 of 42

Here's an easy way to get 2.2 without rooting. This is what I did & I love it. Faster & battery lasts way longer. http://www.techpetals.com/how-to-install-froyo-on-captivate-android-2.2-froyo-for-samsung-captivate-...
Message 33 of 42

I forgot to mention. It's great to finally have Flash!
Message 34 of 42
Scholar

I am sure the root took place somewhere along the lines. You cannot put on a new OS and not do the rooting.

Message 35 of 42

wvmstr wrote:

I am sure the root took place somewhere along the lines. You cannot put on a new OS and not do the rooting.

Nope, I didn't root before I put that on there. That's why I posted the link that I posted. I decided to root last night. Before I rooted I did a check on my phone & it said it wasn't rooted. Here is a quote from another forum. "This is just a pre-release of an update build. It doesn't root anything."
Message 36 of 42
Expert

amylyn1970 wrote:

wvmstr wrote:

Nope, I didn't root before I put that on there. That's why I posted the link that I posted. I decided to root last night. Before I rooted I did a check on my phone & it said it wasn't rooted. Here is a quote from another forum. "This is just a pre-release of an update build. It doesn't root anything."

so it is a beta release that could brick a phone or cause other problems with the use of the device.

Message 37 of 42

amylyn1970 wrote:

wvmstr wrote:

so it is a beta release that could brick a phone or cause other problems with the use of the device.

amyln1970 is correct in saying that you don't have to root in order to install a custom rom though being rooted has it advantages.  I'm currently running Perception 10.1 and I have bluetooth dialing and my GPS works great.  Perception 10.1 is not overclocked and I still achieve quadrant scores antwhere between 1500 and 1650.  And no AT&T bloatware.  Did I mention that this kernel allows for third-party apps built in.

Message 38 of 42
Tutor

Last week the tech support chat folks told it would be available the middle of Feb.  But they've said that type of thing before huh?

Message 39 of 42

I finally rooted and flashed the paragon rc5 rom last night.  So far I love it, can't believe I didn't do this sooner.  Super fast and no AT$T bloatware.  Mobile AP works great with my iPad.

Paragon RC5 rom

Message 40 of 42
Contributor

Tonight the guy that I spoke with for a half an hour said that ATT had the release date set for June. JUNE! Really? I doubt that, but he told me June. I asked him if he was serious, and he said yes the notes that he has say June. I don't remember his name, unfortunately, but I can get it if I wanted to by calling in and seeing who accessed my account.

So.. there goes this wasted effort. Time to declare that they are violating terms of their advertising campaign stating that 2.2 would be out before 2.3 was made available. Time for a new phone and a new carrier. Time to get a lawyer for false advertising.

Message 41 of 42
Highlighted
Mentor

sorry.the guy at the mall was off a little bit. i would just install it yourself. i did and my phone works like a champ. it's no use even complaining any more. i quit about a month ago. every samsung phone i've had from this one to the blackjack to the jack. never gave me updates. i'm getting a nokia next time around. i don't think it's at&t's fault.

Message 42 of 42
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support