Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 18, 2010
5:10:52 PM
2.2 update for all captivate owners

samsung said that they are stoping all 2.2 updates due to the fact that it's bricking all the captivates in canada talked to a guy today at the mall says we are not getting the 2.2 till may. i got the info by google search type in 2.2 update for samsung captivate att.

samsung said that they are stoping all 2.2 updates due to the fact that it's bricking all the captivates in canada talked to a guy today at the mall says we are not getting the 2.2 till may. i got the info by google search type in 2.2 update for samsung captivate att.

2.2 update for all captivate owners

41 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(41)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2010 6:32:14 PM
(0)
Guru

For those looking to verify the suspension of the update (I didn't see anything relevant with the search terms you used), try this article.  Note that the suspension is specifically for the Canadian Vibrant, and there's no word (that I'm aware of) on whether this will affect other Canadian Galaxy S variants or whether it will affect the US versions.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

For those looking to verify the suspension of the update (I didn't see anything relevant with the search terms you used), try this article.  Note that the suspension is specifically for the Canadian Vibrant, and there's no word (that I'm aware of) on whether this will affect other Canadian Galaxy S variants or whether it will affect the US versions.

Re: 2.2 update for all captivate owners

2 of 42 (22,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2010 8:27:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well I'm sorry but I'm not going to quite take the word of some "guy you met in a mall" on 2.2

ATT and Samsung are going to have a lot of angry users/customers soon if we don't get some sort of confirmed info on it.

Well I'm sorry but I'm not going to quite take the word of some "guy you met in a mall" on 2.2

ATT and Samsung are going to have a lot of angry users/customers soon if we don't get some sort of confirmed info on it.

3 of 42 (22,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2010 5:39:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by marcusdc on Dec 19, 2010 at 6:59:55 PM

This is (word filter evasion) My Chef at my restaurant got his update to 2.2 the other day and he is on verizon and has a piece of (edited) phone. His service is much better than ours. I know who I am switching to when the contract is up. By the way, did anyone get the notice of class action against at&t? This is happening again? This sucks. I got the notice two days ago.

This is (word filter evasion) My Chef at my restaurant got his update to 2.2 the other day and he is on verizon and has a piece of (edited) phone. His service is much better than ours. I know who I am switching to when the contract is up. By the way, did anyone get the notice of class action against at&t? This is happening again? This sucks. I got the notice two days ago.

[ Edited ]
4 of 42 (22,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 3:15:26 AM
(0)
Expert

marcusdc wrote:

why wait? If you have a chef and a restaurant you can surely afford the ETF, go now if you are that unhappy with the service. Why keep making yourself and everyone aroudn you miserable

marcusdc wrote:

why wait? If you have a chef and a restaurant you can surely afford the ETF, go now if you are that unhappy with the service. Why keep making yourself and everyone aroudn you miserable

5 of 42 (22,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 9:32:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

Goodeye84 wrote:

I think you mean to say "ATT and Samsung have a lot of angry users/customers and should get some sort of confirmed info out on it"

Goodeye84 wrote:

I think you mean to say "ATT and Samsung have a lot of angry users/customers and should get some sort of confirmed info out on it"

6 of 42 (22,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 8:43:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

Cheese and crackers, Another "Why don't you just pay the ETF" comment  from the peanut gallery here, LOL as funny as getting Technical info from

"The Guy at the MALL"....ROTFLMAO You guys crack me up.

Try this for a real Hoot! Call into AT&T,  I have been doing it every day this last week and a half..Talk about funny

These poor SOb's are Dumber than a Bricked IPhone!!

No Clue what so ever on FroYo.. As in NO FroYo for You/me.  AT&T is really dropping the ball on this one and many folks are hearing about it and I'm certain it will affect there choices in the future. If you see how fast new hardware technology comes out and new products evolve, between that quickness all while considering the blindingly fast pace software development has taken. It is only important to get there first!

Nobody remembers the second & third guy! I for one don't buy the "They need time to make sure it's right" argument. Nope!! If you believe this then You must have gotten your advice from the guy at the MaLL!

Just look at Android ...Gingerbread is hear already and for those in the know CES is coming up and it's all over those devices.  "AT&T You Stink" I can't put it any easier than that! Look at the number of revisions the Iphone has gone thru already..Seems as though every time you turn around That "Steve guy" is showing and Lying I mean Telling! (mr subliminal) about a new one.

I know any New connected devices I get will be on other networks with better support for it's products. they know what they are getting so don't try and place blame on the vendors because if that where true you would see the Statement so fast In BIG BOLD Letters on there web site pointing the finger. Instead we get Silence!!

I know the easy answer is to ROOT the Phone, I got one of those already! I want what was promised plain and simple full warranty, supported and blessed by the provider. I don't even care about the bloatware on it!  I will continue my call-in campaign cause it's fun and funny I haven't spoken to the same person yet...LOL

Just so I don't get flamed or banned or censored, these are my OPINIONS! and to further clarify AT&T Network is fine by me, The Product Support is what STINKS!!

Cheese and crackers, Another "Why don't you just pay the ETF" comment  from the peanut gallery here, LOL as funny as getting Technical info from

"The Guy at the MALL"....ROTFLMAO You guys crack me up.

Try this for a real Hoot! Call into AT&T,  I have been doing it every day this last week and a half..Talk about funny

These poor SOb's are Dumber than a Bricked IPhone!!

No Clue what so ever on FroYo.. As in NO FroYo for You/me.  AT&T is really dropping the ball on this one and many folks are hearing about it and I'm certain it will affect there choices in the future. If you see how fast new hardware technology comes out and new products evolve, between that quickness all while considering the blindingly fast pace software development has taken. It is only important to get there first!

Nobody remembers the second & third guy! I for one don't buy the "They need time to make sure it's right" argument. Nope!! If you believe this then You must have gotten your advice from the guy at the MaLL!

Just look at Android ...Gingerbread is hear already and for those in the know CES is coming up and it's all over those devices.  "AT&T You Stink" I can't put it any easier than that! Look at the number of revisions the Iphone has gone thru already..Seems as though every time you turn around That "Steve guy" is showing and Lying I mean Telling! (mr subliminal) about a new one.

I know any New connected devices I get will be on other networks with better support for it's products. they know what they are getting so don't try and place blame on the vendors because if that where true you would see the Statement so fast In BIG BOLD Letters on there web site pointing the finger. Instead we get Silence!!

I know the easy answer is to ROOT the Phone, I got one of those already! I want what was promised plain and simple full warranty, supported and blessed by the provider. I don't even care about the bloatware on it!  I will continue my call-in campaign cause it's fun and funny I haven't spoken to the same person yet...LOL

Just so I don't get flamed or banned or censored, these are my OPINIONS! and to further clarify AT&T Network is fine by me, The Product Support is what STINKS!!

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

7 of 42 (21,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 3:54:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

at&t spends way too much time controlling things they cant.  they are the only ones trying to restrict a free os.  verizon used to do that and they changed their ways because they fought a losing battle.  whatever at&t does they find a way around it so whats the point.  give us our update were gonna hack the crappy bloatware out anyway.

at&t spends way too much time controlling things they cant.  they are the only ones trying to restrict a free os.  verizon used to do that and they changed their ways because they fought a losing battle.  whatever at&t does they find a way around it so whats the point.  give us our update were gonna hack the crappy bloatware out anyway.

8 of 42 (20,659 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:54:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

forget FROYO

forget GINGERBREAD

BRING ON HONEYCOMB!!!

(Seriously...)

forget FROYO

forget GINGERBREAD

BRING ON HONEYCOMB!!!

(Seriously...)

9 of 42 (20,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 1:31:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I went into the local corporate store where I purchased the Captivate and the staff has no clue about the update. I was told not only by AT&T but also Samsung that an update would be releasede in the U.S. last month after it was released in Europe in Nov. AT&T needs to step up to the plate and either provide a free replacement phone that is equally functional or let us out of our contracts so that we can do business with a carrier that cares!

I went into the local corporate store where I purchased the Captivate and the staff has no clue about the update. I was told not only by AT&T but also Samsung that an update would be releasede in the U.S. last month after it was released in Europe in Nov. AT&T needs to step up to the plate and either provide a free replacement phone that is equally functional or let us out of our contracts so that we can do business with a carrier that cares!

10 of 42 (20,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 3:11:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I completely agree with you!!!  GPS sucks, the phone switches itself off for no obvious reason, strange messages such as "no firmware found" - too many problems to list. As it is not consistent - you can't even take it back to the store. They laugh at iPhone 4 with the alarm issue but who guarantees that the captivate will wake you up if it decides to switch off?  "AT&T needs to step up to the plate and either provide a free replacement phone that is equally functional or let us out of our contracts so that we can do business with a carrier that cares!"

I completely agree with you!!!  GPS sucks, the phone switches itself off for no obvious reason, strange messages such as "no firmware found" - too many problems to list. As it is not consistent - you can't even take it back to the store. They laugh at iPhone 4 with the alarm issue but who guarantees that the captivate will wake you up if it decides to switch off?  "AT&T needs to step up to the plate and either provide a free replacement phone that is equally functional or let us out of our contracts so that we can do business with a carrier that cares!"

11 of 42 (7,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 4:29:26 PM
(0)
Guru

Rofl I bet the reps seem dumb to you when you call in and they seem "clueless" to you about the froyo update but... and dont feel dumb when i say this either.... AT&T does not send out the updates for android software, the manufacturer does. ROFL. So keep calling AT&T if you like but your not going to get an answer or an estimated time of release. Contact the manufacturer of the phone and im sure you'll get an answer.

"I know any New connected devices I get will be on other networks with better support for it's products."

If you think that AT&T is the only carrier that doesn't have froyo then you sir have NOT done your research. Some People from Sprint, Tmobile, and some in Verizon are still waiting for froyo and have not gotten the update. The carrier have no control over this, the manufacturers do. My cousin has a fairly new galaxy s phone with Tmobile and it even said in the specs it is froyo ready, you think he has froyo yet? nope. It was promised froyo would be ready for his phone by the end of 2010 and its not... You think he calls Tmobile CS everyday? nope, becuase he knows how to do his research..... He contacted the manufacturer and they said they are working on it but we all know samsung likes to take their time with updates.

Rofl I bet the reps seem dumb to you when you call in and they seem "clueless" to you about the froyo update but... and dont feel dumb when i say this either.... AT&T does not send out the updates for android software, the manufacturer does. ROFL. So keep calling AT&T if you like but your not going to get an answer or an estimated time of release. Contact the manufacturer of the phone and im sure you'll get an answer.

"I know any New connected devices I get will be on other networks with better support for it's products."

If you think that AT&T is the only carrier that doesn't have froyo then you sir have NOT done your research. Some People from Sprint, Tmobile, and some in Verizon are still waiting for froyo and have not gotten the update. The carrier have no control over this, the manufacturers do. My cousin has a fairly new galaxy s phone with Tmobile and it even said in the specs it is froyo ready, you think he has froyo yet? nope. It was promised froyo would be ready for his phone by the end of 2010 and its not... You think he calls Tmobile CS everyday? nope, becuase he knows how to do his research..... He contacted the manufacturer and they said they are working on it but we all know samsung likes to take their time with updates.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

12 of 42 (7,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:24:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

Interesting bit of info......Spoke with a ATT rep yesterday, asking about various account issues and decided I would ask about the update and was a bit surprised yet disappointed.  When I asked " by chance do you know anything about the captivate 2.2 update?"  He said "Yes, I do"  I was taken back by this but then his next info deflated my happiness balloon.......According to Nate at ATT Customer care (611)  He says the captivate will never receive the 2.2 update due to the fact it is not compatible with ATT Network.  He also says that we should expect 2.3 instead of 2.2.  He did not give a time table for this of course.

Take this information for what it is and where it comes from but I found it interesting.

Interesting bit of info......Spoke with a ATT rep yesterday, asking about various account issues and decided I would ask about the update and was a bit surprised yet disappointed.  When I asked " by chance do you know anything about the captivate 2.2 update?"  He said "Yes, I do"  I was taken back by this but then his next info deflated my happiness balloon.......According to Nate at ATT Customer care (611)  He says the captivate will never receive the 2.2 update due to the fact it is not compatible with ATT Network.  He also says that we should expect 2.3 instead of 2.2.  He did not give a time table for this of course.

Take this information for what it is and where it comes from but I found it interesting.

13 of 42 (7,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 8:20:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

That is ridiculous. I have been running 2.2 (beta) on my captivate for a while. Other than some minor glitches, it's fine on the ATT network. The network has nothing to do with it. There are many custom ROMs out there that run fine on the Captivate. It has to do with the customizations for each carrier's phones. There are still a few other countries that don't have their updates either. It is really just a matter of the queue of the custom versions of the phone for different carriers for development and testing. I would think if the Captivate ever got 2.3 it would be after all the galaxy s phones get 2.2 first, if they even put the effort in at all. There are several new phones coming out like the Infuse that may get 2.3 eventually. So, I wouldn't count on the Captivate getting 2.3, unless someone made a custom ROM for it ported from the Nexus S.

That is ridiculous. I have been running 2.2 (beta) on my captivate for a while. Other than some minor glitches, it's fine on the ATT network. The network has nothing to do with it. There are many custom ROMs out there that run fine on the Captivate. It has to do with the customizations for each carrier's phones. There are still a few other countries that don't have their updates either. It is really just a matter of the queue of the custom versions of the phone for different carriers for development and testing. I would think if the Captivate ever got 2.3 it would be after all the galaxy s phones get 2.2 first, if they even put the effort in at all. There are several new phones coming out like the Infuse that may get 2.3 eventually. So, I wouldn't count on the Captivate getting 2.3, unless someone made a custom ROM for it ported from the Nexus S.

14 of 42 (7,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 10:06:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hey MobileFlee, I responded to your other post regarding "Nate" as well.

I'm sorry, I don't know if Nate was having a bad day and decided to mess with you or if he's getting tired of having people call in and ask, but what he told you is absolutely false.  AT&T just accounced plans to release 3 new Android phones over the coming weeks/months, and they are all running 2.2

2.2 is 100% compatible with AT&T's network...

Hey MobileFlee, I responded to your other post regarding "Nate" as well.

I'm sorry, I don't know if Nate was having a bad day and decided to mess with you or if he's getting tired of having people call in and ask, but what he told you is absolutely false.  AT&T just accounced plans to release 3 new Android phones over the coming weeks/months, and they are all running 2.2

2.2 is 100% compatible with AT&T's network...

15 of 42 (7,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:13:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

The way I see it, AT&T released the Samsung Galaxy Tab almost 2 month's ago with Froyo 2.2 on it.. basically run on wifi or on the data plan, so what's not compatible??? The only thing that it does not do is make call's, so I think the info is wrong to blame AT&T.. In my opinion it's all on Samsung, I've made so many call's between them and it alway's seem's to Samsung choking..

The way I see it, AT&T released the Samsung Galaxy Tab almost 2 month's ago with Froyo 2.2 on it.. basically run on wifi or on the data plan, so what's not compatible??? The only thing that it does not do is make call's, so I think the info is wrong to blame AT&T.. In my opinion it's all on Samsung, I've made so many call's between them and it alway's seem's to Samsung choking..

16 of 42 (6,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 12:58:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

The software I am sure is fine with any network, that would not be the issue. The part that is not, is the open features, which would go against AT&T's policies.  Free tether? Umm, can't have that. Video voice mail? Hrm, we can charge for that. Use device as a wireless router to share connection (MiFi). No, no, no...need to charge that.

Things like this are what makes it not ready for the AT&T network. All of the free goodness that was included, and possibly, can't be removed. These would be the holdup.

The software I am sure is fine with any network, that would not be the issue. The part that is not, is the open features, which would go against AT&T's policies.  Free tether? Umm, can't have that. Video voice mail? Hrm, we can charge for that. Use device as a wireless router to share connection (MiFi). No, no, no...need to charge that.

Things like this are what makes it not ready for the AT&T network. All of the free goodness that was included, and possibly, can't be removed. These would be the holdup.

17 of 42 (6,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:09:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

;-p

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

;-p

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

18 of 42 (5,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 4:09:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Oh, come on - we know now that they only stopped the updates temporarily on the Fascinate in Canada to fix a problem and got it out by the end of the year. All of the phones in Canada are now getting he 2.2 update.

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/news-gadgets/rogers-samsung-galaxy-captivate-android-22-3202/

SO AT&T, Where is Android 2.2 for our Captivates - do me a favor and skip the branding and bloatware and let me just install the AT&T software from the market if I want it. Then you could get these updates out quicker to us.

Oh, come on - we know now that they only stopped the updates temporarily on the Fascinate in Canada to fix a problem and got it out by the end of the year. All of the phones in Canada are now getting he 2.2 update.

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/news-gadgets/rogers-samsung-galaxy-captivate-android-22-3202/

SO AT&T, Where is Android 2.2 for our Captivates - do me a favor and skip the branding and bloatware and let me just install the AT&T software from the market if I want it. Then you could get these updates out quicker to us.

19 of 42 (5,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 4:21:54 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nyle on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:24:04 PM

Ok, aristizzle - so it is your contention that it is Samsung's job to brand the phone for AT&T and put all the bloatware that AT&T forces on us into the ROM and give the completed ROM to AT&T with all the customizations in place. If I was Samsung, I'd tell AT&T to pound salt. Here's the core OS, that fully supports the Captivate with our custom UI and here is the source code, feel free to tweak it as you see fit for your customers and compile. Then I'd wait a while and when AT&T didn't release the new OS, I'd be sure to let customers know that AT&T has the code and customers are waiting on AT&T.

Since all the Canadian carriers have 2.2 released/releasing for their phones - Captivate, Vibrant and Fascinate - can you explain why Samsung would release Android 2.2 for Europe and Canada but not in the USA. Meanwhile the Canadian carriers are much more up front and said that 'THEY' were working on getting Android 2.2 out for their customers. They did run into a bug in the core OS code on the Fascinate which Samsung then had to release a fix for before the roll out could occur.

So, from a layman's eyes, it doesn't at all ring true that Samsung is reponsible for custom branding every Android 2.2 that it reelases for each carrier and since Froyo has had drivers for the captivate for some time and I've seen the leaked 2.2 ROMs running well on the Captivate on a friends phone - I know darn well - all we are waiting on is AT&T to brand the OS and restrict it to their liking.

Care to clarify as to why branding the OS would be up to the manufactuer and not the carrier?

Ok, aristizzle - so it is your contention that it is Samsung's job to brand the phone for AT&T and put all the bloatware that AT&T forces on us into the ROM and give the completed ROM to AT&T with all the customizations in place. If I was Samsung, I'd tell AT&T to pound salt. Here's the core OS, that fully supports the Captivate with our custom UI and here is the source code, feel free to tweak it as you see fit for your customers and compile. Then I'd wait a while and when AT&T didn't release the new OS, I'd be sure to let customers know that AT&T has the code and customers are waiting on AT&T.

Since all the Canadian carriers have 2.2 released/releasing for their phones - Captivate, Vibrant and Fascinate - can you explain why Samsung would release Android 2.2 for Europe and Canada but not in the USA. Meanwhile the Canadian carriers are much more up front and said that 'THEY' were working on getting Android 2.2 out for their customers. They did run into a bug in the core OS code on the Fascinate which Samsung then had to release a fix for before the roll out could occur.

So, from a layman's eyes, it doesn't at all ring true that Samsung is reponsible for custom branding every Android 2.2 that it reelases for each carrier and since Froyo has had drivers for the captivate for some time and I've seen the leaked 2.2 ROMs running well on the Captivate on a friends phone - I know darn well - all we are waiting on is AT&T to brand the OS and restrict it to their liking.

Care to clarify as to why branding the OS would be up to the manufactuer and not the carrier?

[ Edited ]
20 of 42 (5,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 8:56:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I don't know which side is really to blame for this.  I don't assign blame only to the carriers in the US when none of the US Galaxy S devices have Froyo from the carriers.  I have a T-Mobile Vibrant.  If every other carrier's US Galaxy S had Froyo, then I would blame T-Mobile 100%.  But since none of them have it, and the only thing that they have in common is Samsung as the manufacturer, then I put more blame on Samsung than on the carriers.  This is just my opinion.  One can blame whoever he/she wishes to.  In the end, neither one of us has Froyo from the carrier.

I don't know which side is really to blame for this.  I don't assign blame only to the carriers in the US when none of the US Galaxy S devices have Froyo from the carriers.  I have a T-Mobile Vibrant.  If every other carrier's US Galaxy S had Froyo, then I would blame T-Mobile 100%.  But since none of them have it, and the only thing that they have in common is Samsung as the manufacturer, then I put more blame on Samsung than on the carriers.  This is just my opinion.  One can blame whoever he/she wishes to.  In the end, neither one of us has Froyo from the carrier.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 42 (5,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 12:08:17 PM
(0)
Explorer
Samsung has said on their twitter feed that they are the ones holding the upgrade due to complexity issues. No carrier involvement.
Samsung has said on their twitter feed that they are the ones holding the upgrade due to complexity issues. No carrier involvement.

22 of 42 (5,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 6:33:40 PM
(0)
Guru

Samsung always takes forever for their updates. This is already known. Of course AT&T will get ahold of the software at some point to add whatever apps they want to add, but that will never happen if Samsung never releases it. Yes sometimes it is the carrier that hold software back for various reasons (mostly bugs), but not always, most of the time its the manufacturers. Believe me, if AT&T had the software they would have already released it on the captivate, but Samsung has not released it yet.... I think everyone should be contacting Samsung and escalate the issue so they can finally release it to the carriers. Not only AT&T is suffering with no froyo, remember that!

Samsung always takes forever for their updates. This is already known. Of course AT&T will get ahold of the software at some point to add whatever apps they want to add, but that will never happen if Samsung never releases it. Yes sometimes it is the carrier that hold software back for various reasons (mostly bugs), but not always, most of the time its the manufacturers. Believe me, if AT&T had the software they would have already released it on the captivate, but Samsung has not released it yet.... I think everyone should be contacting Samsung and escalate the issue so they can finally release it to the carriers. Not only AT&T is suffering with no froyo, remember that!

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

23 of 42 (5,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 5:21:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just thought that this was an amusing link...

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

2.2 typo I guess...

24 of 42 (4,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 10:19:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by gross77 on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:19:30 PM

Looks like not a typo - screen shots from android 2.2

Looks like not a typo - screen shots from android 2.2

[ Edited ]
25 of 42 (4,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 9:29:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

Unfortunately, if you really look into it, NONE of those leaked ROMs actually work properly with the Captivate. There is not one that will provide both Bluetooth Voice Dialing and support for the Captivate's Audience background noise cancelling chip. So, as far as I can tell there really isn't a working ROM anywhere out there for the phone as of yet. Even the Canadian release doesn't work with Bluetooth voice dial.

-nfsmith

nyle wrote:

Unfortunately, if you really look into it, NONE of those leaked ROMs actually work properly with the Captivate. There is not one that will provide both Bluetooth Voice Dialing and support for the Captivate's Audience background noise cancelling chip. So, as far as I can tell there really isn't a working ROM anywhere out there for the phone as of yet. Even the Canadian release doesn't work with Bluetooth voice dial.

-nfsmith

nyle wrote:

26 of 42 (3,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 7:42:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just updated to the Firefly 2.05 Rom... it works like a charm.. I am using bluetooth voice dialing without a problem... battery is also working great for me..

Also WTH with the hdspa... why did it take me to change to a custom ROM to get the 3g-h speed... on 2.1 I was getting 700k to 1.2mpbs down... now with the custom rom I'm getting anywhere from 3-4 mpbs???? Why wasn't this available on the 2.1??

I just updated to the Firefly 2.05 Rom... it works like a charm.. I am using bluetooth voice dialing without a problem... battery is also working great for me..

Also WTH with the hdspa... why did it take me to change to a custom ROM to get the 3g-h speed... on 2.1 I was getting 700k to 1.2mpbs down... now with the custom rom I'm getting anywhere from 3-4 mpbs???? Why wasn't this available on the 2.1??

27 of 42 (3,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 7:44:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

To clarify about my last post about Firefly, you have to turn on BT dialing through notification bar... if you go through setttings no go... also GPS is working fantastic...

To clarify about my last post about Firefly, you have to turn on BT dialing through notification bar... if you go through setttings no go... also GPS is working fantastic...

28 of 42 (3,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 11:07:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, there are a number of ROMs out there that solve the VD over BT problem. They are based on 2.2.1 ROM releases for the I9000, so unfortunately they don't support the Audience (A1026) noise cancellation chip in the Captivate. They do solve other issues as well, though, and if you have a good noise cancelling headset, they might be a good option until such time as 2.2.1 comes out for the Captivate... if that ever happens, of course.

Presumably AT&T dumbed down the modem part of their 2.1 ROM to lighten the load on their network.

I'm still wondering whether they'll release a 2.2 version without VD over BT, or if they'll release a 2.2.1 version that provides that feature. Really, it's unforgivable to release a phone to market that doesn't support that feature when there are so many places that forbid handling the phone when driving.

volley6870 wrote:

Yes, there are a number of ROMs out there that solve the VD over BT problem. They are based on 2.2.1 ROM releases for the I9000, so unfortunately they don't support the Audience (A1026) noise cancellation chip in the Captivate. They do solve other issues as well, though, and if you have a good noise cancelling headset, they might be a good option until such time as 2.2.1 comes out for the Captivate... if that ever happens, of course.

Presumably AT&T dumbed down the modem part of their 2.1 ROM to lighten the load on their network.

I'm still wondering whether they'll release a 2.2 version without VD over BT, or if they'll release a 2.2.1 version that provides that feature. Really, it's unforgivable to release a phone to market that doesn't support that feature when there are so many places that forbid handling the phone when driving.

volley6870 wrote:

29 of 42 (2,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 2:52:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

well every major carrier has the 2.2 update except at&t i guess we can go ahead and start blaming them.  i wouldnt be mad about not having it if they hadnt told me 3 times that it was coming next month 3 consecutive months and then started saying oh yeaaaa about that we dont know when its coming ask samsung.  samsung already has the 2.2 update android already released it to all of them the only thing left is for the carrier to make their changes or additions and release well guess who is the only carrier in the world... I repeat WORLD that has a Galaxy S device not running 2.2.1? thats right AT&T.

well every major carrier has the 2.2 update except at&t i guess we can go ahead and start blaming them.  i wouldnt be mad about not having it if they hadnt told me 3 times that it was coming next month 3 consecutive months and then started saying oh yeaaaa about that we dont know when its coming ask samsung.  samsung already has the 2.2 update android already released it to all of them the only thing left is for the carrier to make their changes or additions and release well guess who is the only carrier in the world... I repeat WORLD that has a Galaxy S device not running 2.2.1? thats right AT&T.

30 of 42 (2,680 Views)