For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
taladua's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, July 27th, 2017 4:24 AM

unable to unlock my phone

we are a couple outside USA and we have acquired 2 units of microsoft lumia 640 phones that was given to us by my wife's sister from new hamshire, USA. The 1st unit was unlock through your unlock device portal, now we're not an AT&T subscriber and been trying also to unlock the other phone through your unlock device portal but was denied for the reason that the device hasn't been active for six months of paid service. We wonder why we have unpaid service since e are not a subscriber of AT&T even @ the start. What should we do to unlock other phone?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Hi. I`m in the same boat. A year and a half ago I`ve bought three Lumia 640 with the intention of using one myself and keeping two for family members or as a spare phone. Unfortunately i didn`t get a chance to use one in the US. So i took one with me overseas, successfully unlocked it as non-ATT customer and been using it ever since with no issues. Fast forward to today, I decided to switch from my heavily beaten 640 to new one that was sitting in the sealed box the whole time only to discover that it was denied unlock for not being active 6 months. A year ago this processes worked without any hassle. I`m at a loss here.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@sunspot wrote:

Hi. I`m in the same boat. A year and a half ago I`ve bought three Lumia 640 with the intention of using one myself and keeping two for family members or as a spare phone. Unfortunately i didn`t get a chance to use one in the US. So i took one with me overseas, successfully unlocked it as non-ATT customer and been using it ever since with no issues. Fast forward to today, I decided to switch from my heavily beaten 640 to new one that was sitting in the sealed box the whole time only to discover that it was denied unlock for not being active 6 months. A year ago this processes worked without any hassle. I`m at a loss here.  

@sunspot @taladua

att requires the phones to be used for 6 months on att prepaid period now.  So you would have to find another service to get it unlocked which you will have to pay for.  ATT sells the prepaid phones at a loss so thats why they require 6 months of service.

@sunspot

Yes last year there was a loophole that was allowing certain phones and the 640 was one of them to be unlocked without 6 months of service and now ATT has closed those loopholes.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

OK, is there any way to activate ATT SIM while staying overseas? And possibly go through all the 6 required months?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Is there another way to unlock my phone that I could use another sim?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@taladua

@sunspot

No....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.