Troubleshoot your device issues
larryfinelarry's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 19th, 2016 10:34 PM

signal booster

I just joined the ATT COMMUNITY of mobile phone users.
I cannot make any calls from inside my house due to a signal strength of 0-1 bars and constantly fluctuates.
Is there any hardware available to boost / amplify the signal? Signal strength is @ max only 1 block up the road.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@larryfinelarry They do make sure M-cell devices that PLUG into your wired internet. This will probably cost you, but call customere service and make it clear you'll be going back to your old company if they don't help.

If you do not get something satisfactory, be sure to return your phone in 14 days (the first day counts as day 1, not day zero) or you'll be stuck.

I don't know if AT&T supports WiFi calling on the Windows phones (that would be another option if they do), check your settings.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

At this time no windows phones have wifi calling.

Either a Microcell from ATT, which is a one time purchase, or @pgrey may have some suggestions for signal boosters.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

At this time no windows phones have wifi calling.

That's what I was leaning towards but I couldn't find the FAQ list in the forum to check...

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

Spoiler

If you have broadband cable or DSL internet access (satellite broadband is NOT supported) at your home you might look into an AT&T Microcell Extender device. You do need an AT&T postpaid account to activate the device.

What exactly is an AT&T MicroCell? How does it work?

The AT&T MicroCell acts like a mini cell tower in your home and connects to your existing broadband Internet service. You receive improved cell signal performance for voice calls, texts, and cellular data applications like picture messaging and Web surfing. The signal range is approximately 40 feet from the base station (in all directions), or about 5,000 square feet.

More information here...

AT&T Microcell Network Extender

http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

There is currently a $75 rebate available to reduce the cost a bit.

http://www.att.com/att/microcell/downloads/5010-2839_National%20Microcell_$75_111814_111716_r11_Final.pdf

I use an older DPH-151 version over the winter months at a vacation condo we rent.

I would recommend NOT purchasing a used Microcell from an online source like eBay or similar service unless you are guaranteed the device has been deactivated and removed from the original owners account AND you can return the device for a refund if you find out it has not...

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Most Windows phones have WiFi calling, but they're not branded, and not supported, currently (any branded phone really, except Apple/iOS).

Wilson and SolidRF (just a couple I know that work, there are probably others) both make solid signal-boosters, that are very effective.  

For a signal-booster to work though, it has to have *some* signal to boost.  In areas where it picks up marginal signal, boosters often work quite well to make a good/great signal.

Depending on the model of booster, you do have to be fairly close to the "inside" or "phone side" antenna.  My booster is for the car, and has maybe 3-4' range, but that's fine for that application.  
There are boosters made by the same companies (and others) that cast a wider signal on that side, but they're significantly more expensive (200-350 vs 400-100, depending on how strong), so it's one of those important considerations, for making a purchase.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.