For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
m2FromReno's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, October 14th, 2016 10:51 PM

messages arriving on Chinese characters

Long messages from friends and family are arriving at my phone in Chinese characters. Short msgs from the same people are ok. All phone settings are in English. Any ideas?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

@AnonaMiss Does this happen if you send a "plain text" message, such as "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."?

I'd bet it doesn't.

You're using some emoticons, when this happens, correct?  

If so, you should investigate from this angle, there's a high probability that your keyboard (or other emoticon tool) is using non-standard codes.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

im pretty sure this issue has been resolved a looooong time ago,.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

@camperchuck Yep, no question in my mind, the text parser (a server-side implementation) had an issue with some newer emoticons, which was fixed.

Could it have a problem with some other new ones (or an animated GIF, or ...)?

Yep, and probably, eventually will.  But I bet most of these get fixed, with almost no customer interaction, just test teams staying on top of things.

It's a tough problem, trying to be inclusive of new MMS constructs, but protecting against the possibility of mis-parsing a new set of (unknown) things is a tough spot.  There are other things they could do to shore it up a bit more, programmatically, absolutely, but sometimes a "filtering" mechanism can cause more headaches than  it solves, particularly in a VERY latency-balanced system, like SMS/MMS...

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

👍🏼

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

They had the same issue in the past, but it's back. I spoke with AT&T and
they told me it's a "character encoding problem" with AT&T, not a
device/phone problem. They told me to take it in to a store so they can
fix it. However, I am in a rural area and they guys today didn't know what
to do. I'll take it in next time I'm in Seattle.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

@AnonaMiss Interesting, so what "characters" are you using, to repro this?

I'm curious, myself.

I suspect if you take it into a shop (I'm not that far from Seattle, and there are a LOT of AT&T shops in the greater area, most are "official"), they'll just switch out your default keyboard.

This would likely "fix" the issue, by obfuscating it, at least for now.

I am curious as to how you're getting the characters, what message(s) your'e sending?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

All my texts are coming in Chinese all of a sudden.  Can someone please assist in fixing this? 

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

5 years ago

This just happened to me. I sent a somewhat long text to someone and they said, "I don't speak Chinese."

They sent me a screenshot of a paragraph in all Chinese symbols. 

I have Android and they have iPhone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

4 years later....and It's still happening. What is going on? do I need to find a more superior service provider? or is AT&T just going to slip insurance on my phone bill? SMH

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.