Troubleshoot your device issues
m2FromReno's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, October 14th, 2016 10:51 PM

messages arriving on Chinese characters

Long messages from friends and family are arriving at my phone in Chinese characters. Short msgs from the same people are ok. All phone settings are in English. Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This issue is not solved. There is no solution in place. I just finished chatting with AT&T about this. He stated it was a known problem and the "solution" was a work around. That's not a solution. It also doesn't allow me to read my text messages. This has been happening for more than a week for me. Some texts come from iphone, some from other android devices, but ALL on AT&T's network. So 7 days my text service has been messed up. I asked for a credit on my account and was denied because there is a solution (as told by the man I was chatting with). Telling everyone who texts me to stop sending long messages, messages with emojis, or messages with punctuation is ridiculous. I hate this network and I can't wait to drop them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have received and sent multiple text messages that have converted into Chinese. I know this has happened on multiple other people's lines and I understand this is aa encoding issue with text messages. When and how will this be resolved? I can't encode the messages myself.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Ckpeterson In this thread: https://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Phone/messages-arriving-on-Chinese-characters/td-p/4950571/page/5, we talked a lot about interim solutions, including this string encode/decode dynamic page: http://string-functions.com/encodedecode.aspx

If you have data, or can forward to an email on a PC, it's really pretty simple to decode.

At the top of the thread, I had asked ATTCares to provide an update, which they did, tentatively EOW, this week.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Every since I downloaded the new software Many of my sent messages are showing up in another language, Chinese or some Asian sort.
What is causing this!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks- still frustrated!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It's still happening on our I phones with ATT.  When it happens we take a screen shot of the text and then send as a picture so we don't have to translate or retype the message without emojis   ATT please fix!!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

This week it seems that I am not receiving all text messages being sent to me.  Three different people with a mix of iPhones and Android (I'm on Android) have notified me and confirmed they've sent messages that I've not received.  It's intermittent - I received one from my husband, but not another one, but did receive another one later in the day.

I also received several text messages in Chinese from him, although I see that is being fixed.

Any word on the missing text messages issue?  This is very frustrating and I have no idea if I'm missing more / other important messages.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Still happening today Oct 26th

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have found a solution that has worked for the people I have encountered with this issue who have android phones.

Basically the issue seems to come from the senders phone. So you want to try it on the senders phone first, however I would do it on both just to be sure.

It is pretty straight forward. You go:
Settings > Language and Input > Samsung Keyboard > Add Input Languages

And there will be an option to update "English" or what ever language you are texting in.

Once it is updated try sending a message and see if the issue persists.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

My phone has been doing the same thing, I send in English, and they are recieved in Chinese...... no emoticons even being used in these particular texts.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.