Troubleshoot your device issues
m2FromReno's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, October 14th, 2016 10:51 PM

messages arriving on Chinese characters

Long messages from friends and family are arriving at my phone in Chinese characters. Short msgs from the same people are ok. All phone settings are in English. Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

For the record, I have Windows, Lumia 950.  Sending is fine...receiving is the issue.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

OK, folks - I just got off of "Chat" w/ATT.  Posting the entire transcript - I hope y'all will find it helpful, but also aggravating.  I have not tried the suggested fix yet - will post when I do - hope you will do the same.

I want to know what ATT is doing about the problem of text messages send in English and being delivered in Chinese. It's been over a week now!
Adam : Ok there is a Fix for it, let me gettaht for you
;;;;: I hope it's easier than the one I found online!
Adam : it should be
Adam : go to settings>general> Lauange and Region> click on iPhone language>check Japanese>hit done> it will ask yuou if you want to change from English and you will say no, and back out and restart your phone and you will be good to go
Adam : restart= off and on
;;;;: OK, I will give it a try. Why hasn't anyone from ATT posted this in the ATT Community Forums - there are a lot of upset people over there that think ATT is not dealing with the problem!
Adam : I am not sure, but i have been dealing with this issue all week, and itis almost second nature for me to answer this question
;;;;: Yeah, well maybe you could pass this along - it's creating negative good will for ATT.
;;;;: Anyway, thanks for the tip. We'll see what happens. Did they ever tell you why this happened?
Adam : I heard it was a glitch in 10.0.2 and they may be coming with a patch to fix it
;;;;: : Aha. OK, bye!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

that did not work.  I sent a long text to my some, included some symbols and emoji and it came out chinese on his end

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

OneToughCookie, they were blowing smoke up your butt or you made that transcript up. its definitly not an iOS specific issue. there is no "FIX" yet either. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

Oh boy. I haven't tried yet because the test message I sent with tons of
emojis came through in clear. Will try again later with a longer text.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

So what they are saying is that this is a problem with the phones that are sending the messages and not those that receive them? I have a Windows Lumia 640. So far I'm the one receiving the "Chinese" texts, those that I send arrive ok.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

nonono it's an issue on their end. not phone specific.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

It has to do with the emoji's being used, on the sending phone.

@ardently Did an awesome job of showing the UTF encoding, and how the bit-flp works, and how to covert to UTF-8, and strip the offending bits using an editor.

Until they fix this Robot Embarassed, you're stuck.

You have two options (okay three, the pic of the actual text seems like it's above most to me, getting the sender to do it).

- Talk to your friends, and tell them to not use emoji's when sending you texts

- Do the UTF conversion on the corrupted texts, by forwarding it to the email, per the post referenced

This is an AT&T problem, it's their parsing engine, running on their servers, where they "process" the SMS/MMS, and until they fix the parser, well...

It does seem a bit crazy, coming from a guy who's written at least a few hundred parsers over the years.

I get that they have to test/deploy the fix, but 10-12 days seems excessive, unless it's rooted in some really obscure method that's doing some other work, I  guess, maybe, hard to envision though, as a (mostly ex) s/w, h/w coder.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

it's not just emoji, we have seen it with punctuation and text length.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

It depends on whom you ask!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.