For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
shyg360's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 25th, 2015 10:16 PM

lumia 950 Firmware update

Does anyone know if the lumia 950 on at&t will be receiving the latest firmware update from Microsoft??? Thanks Merry Christmas

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

What's really interesting is that AT&T will gladly accept unlocked (non-AT&T branded) versions of the 950 and 950XL on their network, both of which have been running the new firmware for a couple of months. It's pretty obvious that the firmware works on AT&T, so other than internal testing, I can't see why they don't go ahead and release it.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Your note about an unlocked phone got me to thinking. Is there any reason I shouldn't unlock my AT&T 950 (assuming they will let me)? Wouldn't this always result in getting OS and firmware updates quicker?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I'm not sure what the difference is between a phone that's unlocked to start and one that's unlocked via a code at a later time; that would be an interesting experiment. Unlocking the phone will allow it to be used on carriers other than AT&T, but I have no idea how that affects what upgrade servers the phone talks to.

I do know that AT&T will begrudginly give you an unlock code only after you have paid off the phone or made it past the contract period. I actually got unlock codes for my and my wife's Lumia 920 phones a while back and still use them as backup devices when needed. Even though we were entitled to the codes, I still had to go through a month long process with AT&T's customer no-service department to get them. AT&T didn't want to take their claws out of the phones even though they were long ago paid for in full.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

Unlocked doesn't equal unbranded. Unlocked allows the phone to operate on any carrier network. But you're still tied to the company the phone is Branded for updates. Unbranded phones are also unlocked. But unbranded phones get updates as the phone maker chooses. You can bypass the brand with Windows Insider Program.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for that clarification!

Also, the Windows Insider program only bypasses the carrier for OS updates. Firmware is still tied to the carrier even when using the device recovery tool. 

(Developer here, Fast Ring Insider for a looonng time on both PC and Mobile)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@ODad

yeah I think they should call these phone unbranded unlocked phones.  That away the consumer wont get a surprise when something happens.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@FLJeepGuy true. Microsoft was talking about moving firmware to Inside Program too. But that's a bigger line than OS updates.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

The OS update push was done by Microsoft not ATT. ATT still has the say about firmware though. Just have to wait til ATT is done "testing" for the firmware update.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Since early July, Microsoft rolled out firmware update for the Lumia 950x devices, version 01078.00053.16236.35xxx. AT&T has remained silent on plans to rollout this update to customers. These are customers who are paying for service yet intentionally receiving incomplete and sub-par service from AT&T. This is similar to software fixes for a vehicle the manufacturer has released but the dealership refuses to make available ... maybe until enough attention is brought onto the issue... 

I am certain AT&T does not regulate Apple devices, nor the varied Android devices (different versions per vendor per device); those updates are not regulated this haltingly!!!

Customers walking into your stores get bombarded with preferred devices based on best sellers, your cash cows.... here's a tip, either support the Microsoft Lumia 950x devices fully, completely, or don't carry them.

You are doing a dis-service to your paying customers... and I am not happy...This is a slap in my face for the loyalty (customer since the Cellular One days) ...

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

I have to admit I was wrong about the OS update that was released surprisingly quick.  I really wish we would get the firmware update though. The wifi issue is really annoying to deal with!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.