Troubleshoot your device issues
VetteXP's profile

Scholar

• 

57 Messages

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008 12:57 AM

Closed

Windows Mobile 6.1 on Pantech duo

FYI, according to one of Microsoft's press releases today, AT&T announced an update to Windows Mobile 6.1 for the Pantech duo. Hopefully we'll see it in the next month or so.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/apr08/04-01WM61PR.mspx

Former Moderator

• 

1.5K Messages

16 years ago

We appreciate your interest in this subject.

While we have very little information available on Windows Mobile 6.1, we do intend to release this software for the Motorola Q9, Pantech Duo, HTC's AT&T Tilt and the Samsung BlackJack 2. Any inquiries about Windows Mobile 6.1 should be directed to Microsoft's website here:

Feel free to discuss this further. I will provide additional information when I am able to do so. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

Why do you say:

"Any inquiries about Windows Mobile 6.1 should be directed to Microsoft's website here:"?

The at&t logo in on the phone. You guys talk with Pantech and they have to release the ultimate 6.1 bits that go on the phone. Pantech is in direct contact with Microsoft and at&t has to certify the Duo running the new OS 6.1 before it will be allowed on the GSM network. at&t is also in communication with Microsoft. This just seems to be a "leave us alone and go bug those guys" kind of comment.

Support the product you sell!!! We look to you to provide the answers.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

16 years ago

triodaved, I have to disagree. I don't expect ATT to have specific Windows answers. I don't expect Microsoft to have specific ATT answers either. As example, many want to be able to change ringtones/message alerts and the Duo is not user friendly for that. I don't expect ATT to know how to get around that, if the phone is working as designed. I expect Pantech to answer that. (And they did) If I was making the decision at ATT, I don't know if I would even endorse an upgrade to a phone unless questions about the upgrade were up to Microsoft/Pantech to answer. If it worked when sold, I wouldn't want to be responsible for changes made by the user.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

I don't think we're looking for Microsoft answers.  Microsoft has released the software, that question is answered.

The question we need answered is when will AT&T be offering the upgrade for the DUO.  Microsoft's position will be that the software is available, talk to your carrier.

I'm sure Pantech will work to port the software to the DUO - AT&T will have better insight in to that process than we, as consumers, will.  AT&T will likely customize even further, by adding applications and other features.

Do the moderators generally give us information as things like this develop, or do we just have to wait and then one day, without notice, we'll find the code available on the site?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

16 years ago

Wow, I cannot believe this. I am all over the internet trying to figure out how in world I update my Duo to WM 6.1 only to come back here and find out it's not even out yet for the Duo! Smiley Mad

If Microsoft has already released the software, what exactly does AT&T need to do to it before they release an update for it? And why exactly does it take so long?

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

16 years ago

360Spider wrote:
Wow, I cannot believe this. I am all over the internet trying to figure out how in world I update my Duo to WM 6.1 only to come back here and find out it's not even out yet for the Duo! Smiley Mad

If Microsoft has already released the software, what exactly does AT&T need to do to it before they release an update for it? And why exactly does it take so long?

Well, Pantech provided reflashes the last 2 times. I'm thinking that we'll be able to download it from the Pantech site?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

ATT is just the service provider.  If you ask your Internet company when the newest version of Windows is going to be released they will pretty much laugh at you.  Same thing for ATT.  They just provide the service to connect to the network and make calls.  If you want to find out when Windows 6.1 will be released to the Duo, you might want to go harrass Pantech.  After all they will be the ones releasing the update if/when it comes out at all.

Guru

• 

388 Messages

16 years ago

Um Brettley the cell phone world is different from the internet provider world.  ATT will decide when to release the upgrade as it is full of thier services now most likely it will release on the pantech website however in the past with the 8525 when we att released the upgrade from windows mobile 5.0 to 6.0 it was released on ATT site and HTC America's site.  So they most likely won't laugh at you when you call asking for info on the upgrade they will most likely just say they don't have any info.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

16 years ago

Can any AT&T mods confirm that WM6.1 will even come out on the C810?  Smiley Tongue At this rate it doesn't even seem like it's going to happen. I just can't believe it's been a month and a half now and yet there's no update for the software on the Pantech site and no word from AT&T.

Message Edited by 360Spider on 05-15-2008 04:27:12 PM

Former Moderator

• 

4.6K Messages

16 years ago

360Spider wrote:
Can any AT&T mods confirm that WM6.1 will even come out on the C810?  Smiley Tongue At this rate it doesn't even seem like it's going to happen. I just can't believe it's been a month and a half now and yet there's no update for the software on the Pantech site and no word from AT&T.

Message Edited by 360Spider on 05-15-2008 04:27:12 PM

Sentry has already discussed the Pantech Duo (C810) in this post - > Link
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.