For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
nate640's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, September 29th, 2016 5:59 AM

Unlock Denied for new Phone - ATT said device is in use on another account

I purchased a Lumia 640 on Amazon. It came new in the box (as a GoPhone).

I went through the website to unlock the phone and eventually recieved a reply that my request was denied:

"We're unable to process your request because the device is currently active on another AT&T customer's account."

Since this is a new in the box phone, I find that hard to believe. I have double checked the IMEI I provided against what is printed on the phone and it is correct.

How can I get this fixed? ATT doesn't provice any useful information or contact information for this problem. Calling a general 800# without an account and getting bounced around and stuck on hold between phone support people does not sound fun or very promising.

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @nate640,

How are you submitting the request on the website? Are you submitting it as a customer or as a non-customer?

Either way, I would recommend reaching out to @ATTMobilityCare (click the username to open a pre-addressed private message) with your contact info, account info if you're a customer, and the IMEI number and the details of the unlock request. They'll get back to you in a few days. They may get back to you by private message, so be sure to check your email and forum inbox.

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

Hello @nate640, and welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!

I am so sorry you are having device unlock issues with a GoPhone device due to incorrect / incomplete information. I know how frustrating it is, I have learned from it. I can help you with that!

There is no need to contact our support team just yet. Part of the requirements for submitting a device unlock request for a GoPhone device is: "GoPhone devices must be active for at least six months of paid service before unlocking."

This requirement is available for review via both, the AT&T Wireless Support Article: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1108214 and the Device Unlock Portal: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

The response clearly stated that the IMEI is already in use on another
account. No other issue was stated.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I purchased three of these phones at the same time.

The other two unlock requests were approved. I would still like to know why one was denied.

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @nate640,

In that case, please do reach out to @ATTMobilityCare (click the username to open a pre-addressed private message).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you jt212s.

I sent them a message earlier per your suggestion. Waiting on a reply.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

As an FYI for anyone else having this issue: In my case the Walmart claims to have this phone sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf somewhere. If I were to guess it was probably resold via retail aribrage and Walmart screwed up when it was purchased. Per the instructions of the Customer Support rep that I messaged (not the one who responded in this thread), I will be providing proof of purchase to get the issue resolved.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

All GoPhones require 6 months of active prepaid service before they can be unlocked. Submitting a proof of purchase doesn't change anything because if that phone was never activated or it doesn't meet the 6 month requirement, it won't be unlocked.

If other phones slipped through the cracks and got unlocked, they were not supposed to be unlocked unless they met the requirements.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.