Troubleshoot your device issues
Rowalk's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 10:12 PM

Samsung Focus & GPS

Will the Focus always be limited to only using Navigator for GPS mapping?  I don't find any other options in Marketplace, and Google and Bing Maps won't work.

Is this a limitation AT&T has given the phone, or is there just no other mapping software for WP7 yet?  Google and Bing both work with my FUZE's GPS.

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

GPS works fine with Bing Maps. You need to be patient and have a clear view of sky the first time you use it. It's no different than other phones.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@Rowalk wrote:

Will the Focus always be limited to only using Navigator for GPS mapping?  I don't find any other options in Marketplace, and Google and Bing Maps won't work.

Is this a limitation AT&T has given the phone, or is there just no other mapping software for WP7 yet?  Google and Bing both work with my FUZE's GPS.

will it be limited? No idea, it depends on if the companies like tomtom decide it is worth the time and money to have their developers write the code for it, the OS and phone line has only been available to the public for a little over 40 days. Most development companies and developers will not put very much serious development time and costs into something until it shows that there is a viable code base and user base available to pay for the R&D time in development. 

Ask the question again in about a year, if I recall correclty the gps applications for the iphones did not hit until the 3GS was out.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for your response.  I understand what you're saying about developing new applications for the OS.  I don't understand though why Bing, Google Maps, etc. don't offer an option for using the included GPS as they do on my AT&T FUZE.  Is the GPS "hidden" somehow except for use by ATT&T Navigator?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

You're so right!  I was looking for settings to connect with the GPS but like so many other things in WP7 it's just automatic.  I continue to be impressed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.