For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
tm65's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 6:03 AM

Lumia 900 GPS failure

Hi Lumia users,

I posted the following message to Nokia Support when my Lumia 900 started giving me wrong locations. Since then a ATT retails store gave me a new SIM and that fixed the problem for a few weeks. It's started to happen again. 

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/Lumia-900-GPS-fails-when-battery-is-50-or-below/td-p/1396825

Any anyone else experienced similar issue? The gist is that the Lumia GPS puts me in Ohia or Georgia sometimes, but I'm in San Francisco! 

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I wish I had a solution, but Att is just sending me a replacement.  It sounds like a network or software problem so I'm not sure if the phone is the problem.  I'll report how my new phone works tomorrow.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I have the exact same issue with my Titan 2, apps that use gps show my location as Akron, OH (I'm in California)  .  I called ATT and htc and they suggested I get a replacement.  My replacement should be coming tomorrow and I'll let you guys know if there is any difference.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

The problem is 100% connected with LTE, ATT haven't updated the database that is used by A-GPS for LTE phones after they launced new datacenters in Akron OH and other places. This problem is for every LTE phone, maybe some Android phones uses Google DB that is free from this problem. A temporal solution is to disable LTE: 
http://www.nok4us.com/2012/04/how-to-toggle-lte-onoff-on-your-nokia.html

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@maurobecerra wrote:
Just got the Titan 2 as well. Same issue, I'm in ca and shows Akron oh. Any update or solution you may have?

@chrislynch06 wrote:

Yep, same here.  What is going on?!?!

While I'm not sure what might be causing this issue, I'd like to help get it resolved. Will you both please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

@reckoner79 wrote:

I wish I had a solution, but Att is just sending me a replacement.  It sounds like a network or software problem so I'm not sure if the phone is the problem.  I'll report how my new phone works tomorrow.

Definitely let us know if the issue is resolved with a replacement phone! Thanks! 🙂

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Scholar

• 

119 Messages

12 years ago

I just rebooted and now mine is showing Chicago insteaad of Ohio

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

My experience with this (and there are threads on this on Nokia's site, WPCentral's Site, and XDA-Developers) is that rebooting the phone will fix this issue temporarily.   Changing the phone to Airplane mode and back also seems to work.

With this happening on both the Titan 2 and the Lumia 900 I'm much more inclined to beleive that this is an issue related to AT&T and the LTE network.  It's NOT a stretch of the imagination to get there.  Akron OH is one of the LTE markets (one of the early ones) and a replacement phone is likely just masking the overall issue.

I didn't have this issue on my old Lumia, but I started seeing it when I had to get a replacement for another issue.   However, I wasn't using my location services much on my old phone either.    However, this issue definitely needs to get some attention from AT&T, Nokia, HTC, whomever so someone can definitely say what's happening. 

The GPS works after a reboot and/or airplane mode.  So, we can rule out the GPS...it WORKS, at least sometime.  It's either a Phone Issue, a Windows Phone OS issue or a Network issue.    Since we have 2 phones doing this, I would rule out phones.  Since other WP7 work fine, I would rule out the Phone OS..    that leads me to a Network issue..

Somebody needs to investigate this at a much deeper level.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

@RobDendtler wrote:

My experience with this (and there are threads on this on Nokia's site, WPCentral's Site, and XDA-Developers) is that rebooting the phone will fix this issue temporarily.   Changing the phone to Airplane mode and back also seems to work.

With this happening on both the Titan 2 and the Lumia 900 I'm much more inclined to beleive that this is an issue related to AT&T and the LTE network.  It's NOT a stretch of the imagination to get there.  Akron OH is one of the LTE markets (one of the early ones) and a replacement phone is likely just masking the overall issue.

I didn't have this issue on my old Lumia, but I started seeing it when I had to get a replacement for another issue.   However, I wasn't using my location services much on my old phone either.    However, this issue definitely needs to get some attention from AT&T, Nokia, HTC, whomever so someone can definitely say what's happening. 

The GPS works after a reboot and/or airplane mode.  So, we can rule out the GPS...it WORKS, at least sometime.  It's either a Phone Issue, a Windows Phone OS issue or a Network issue.    Since we have 2 phones doing this, I would rule out phones.  Since other WP7 work fine, I would rule out the Phone OS..    that leads me to a Network issue..

Somebody needs to investigate this at a much deeper level.

Completely agree that this is an aGPS issue, and should not just be with Lumia devices.  I just fired up my Focus S, and it didn't exhibit the issue.  It doesn't have a SIM card, and I tested it in an area where I know I can't get a GPS signal, so it defaults to aGPS.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Well I got my replacement in the mail today and it's having the same issue (Akron, OH), the replacement had dead pixels so I'm just sending the replacement back and keeping my old Titan 2.

I spoke to At&t's warranty department and they are aware of the Akron, OH GPS problem and admit that it's a network issue. So hopefully it'll be fixed soon and all will be good.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

I think things are starting to recover.  My phone was using aGPS (you can tell it is but the circle inside the diamond's color is Grey, and not the Accent Color you configured on your device), and zoomed from Akron to my city.  While it still appeared to attempt a GPS lock, it would display the pinging circles (like sonar pings), adjusted a few times (as it looked like it was bouncing from one tower to another) and stayed in my city.  It then got a GPS lock.  I'll continue to monitor this and provide feedback.I

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

another post from another user on another forum to make sure AT&T is aware that this really is a problem. For me this only started happening Saturday or Sunday. before that it was working flawlessly for 2 months.

As others have already deduced, it seems almost positive that it is a network issue with aGPS (assisteded GPS, essentially indoor gps using cell tower triangulation and data). Akron, OH is also a new LTE hub launched a couple months ago by AT&T. someone must have made a change that makes everyone thinks they are in Ohio.

In any case, it's been fun messing with foursquare. 😉

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.