For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
NiNzOmBiE14's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, January 25th, 2015 2:12 AM

Lumia 1520 Overheat - Glass Now Cracked...

Ok, I am royally irritated...but I will refrain from using poor language as that is just about how I feel right now...

So, back in December of 2014, I went from GoPhone to the AT&T NEXT plan with a major upgrade to the Microsoft / Nokia Lumia 1520.  I love this phone...

Today, it was quiet at work, so I pulled out my baby to play a little Asphalt 8...

As I was playing I noticed the phone began to heat up, and it eventually quickly spiked to a VERY HOT temperature.  I stopped playing the game, I shut all open programs down including the game, I hit the power button to put it to standby / sleep, and put it down in my desk to let it cool off. 

I came back to it later to find that the glass was cracked.  It is very easy to tell an impact crack, and this is not an impact crack.  The crack starts at the digitizer level and gets thinner as it moves upwards to the surface of the glass.  If you were to hold the phone in 'landscape' mode to play a game, the crack is in the lower left-hand quadrant of the phone - EXACTLY where the overheating occurred.

Called AT&T - Guess what?  They won't cover the physical damage on the phone even though something is obviously NOT working properly or defective in the phone causing extreme overheating, and cracked the glass from the inside, outward to the surface.

Now I have a 1520 that looks like garbage and no one will help me.  What is the point of the manufacturer warranty when it is clear a defect in the unit caused damage?????  Now I have to try to see if I can make ANY headway with Microsoft / Nokia to see if I can get the unit replaced...

Thanks for nothing AT&T...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 years ago

It sounds like the battery went bad, on such a new device that is odd and should be covered as a warranty repair.
Just like any other phone, the manufacturer has to cover warranty repair or replacement.

When the battery expands and overheats it can crack the glass.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah but the fact that AT&T basically said in so many words "don't cry to us"....that was really kind of messed up...

Explorer

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey there @NiNzOmBiE14

I’m sorry to hear about your Lumia 1520!

This is certainly a very unusual issue! As we perform warranty exchanges on the behalf of the manufacturers, we must follow the procedure and policy we have in place to ensure we can continue doing so for our customers, so that where possible, they can go through us as opposed to directly through the manufacturer. One of the terms of the warranty exchange policy is that physical damage, which any screen damage would fall under, voids the warranty service we can provide. Of course, the fact that it was another internal issue which caused this makes the matter more complicated than simply physical damage. As @smchambers56 has suggested, in this case I would recommend speaking directly with Microsoft to determine if the device is covered under the original manufacturer’s warranty.

A link to the warranty page for your device has been posted, or you can call Microsoft directly at 800-642-7676

If this helps, please mark this answer as an accepted solution!

Thanks,

Charise

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.