For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
BrokenSporty's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 21st, 2014 4:22 AM

Lumia 1020 won't power on

I have had this phone for 9 days and this is the second time this has happened. It powered off while it was sitting around and won't power back on. The last I looked at it the battery was around the half-way on the indicator. It was only inches from me when it powered off and paired by bluetooth to an LG Tone Pro headset. It didn't make any sound. I picked it up to check the weather app and it was off.

I had only had the phone about 36 hours the first time it happened. The battery was around 80% and it was just off when I picked it up. We took it back and the guy at the AT&T store connected it to an iPad charger to "boost" it back on and said that it was a problem with some new phones and he had never seen it happen a second time. Was he shooting me a line of crap to keep from giving me a new phone?

Is there anything I can do to get it back on or do I need to take it back and insist that they give me a new phone?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

BrokenSporty wrote: do I need to take it back and insist that they give me a new phone?

Yes. Do it soon. After 14 days (Or 30? I know it's pretty short) you'll be getting a refurb exchange vs a new in box exchange. So pop over to a AT&T store and get that thing swapped out.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

There is the off chance that a soft reset could help. It doesn't loose data, just forces a reboot. Press Lock and Volume Down at the same time for about 5-10 seconds. I've had to do this and never lost any data that was stored on my phone.

With the 8.1 update right around the corner, that could address whatever software problem may be occuring here.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

10 years ago

It is 14 days... Yes take it back for a new phone.

before you do...look up several phones so that you don't get another lemon. Check more than one source, like Verizon, AT&T and Amazon. Google this particular problem with this phone, it may be just one bad phone, or it may be a pervasive problem, making this phone a bad choice.
I highly recommend the Samsung phone. I went from the GS3 to the Note 3 and am very happy with both. The new S5 looks awesome.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This totally worked!  Thanks for the reset tip.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

@TechPorVida 

Great news! I'm glad that worked for you.

If it continues, it may be worth your time taking mental note of what you were doing or using prior to your screen turning off. If that Lock key doesn't wake the phone up, it could be some app that was poorly written and causing your problem. No phone is immune to apps having unintended side effects.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.