Troubleshoot your device issues
hawlyns711's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Friday, September 13th, 2013 2:18 PM

Lumia 1020 NOT 41 MP but only 34 or 38 MP, what gives?? $expensive$

Slight problem here with my new Nokia Lumia 1020. All of the included camera apps, Nokia Pro Cam, Nokia Smart Cam, regular camera mode, all do not give me the option for selecting a full 41 MP exposure. Certainly there has to be a way if this is how they are advertising it!

One App has the 4:3 and I can choose 38 Megapixels but that is the highest. And the other app lets me choose 34 MP but that isn't 41 MP either!

How do I actually get a real 41 MP high resolution photo, is it even possible? I'm very disappointed $650 later and upset this is what I was given. Please help me find a solution.

Need 41,000,000 pixels, stat! I lied to my best friend guaranteeing him a 41 MP shot for his wedding...low and behold I upset him with my inability to do just that!

Help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

11 years ago

The sensor is 41 megapixels. Your photos will be varying MP based on the crop you choose.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020-closer-look-41mp-pureview-cam

The "lost" MP are due to the fact that in either case, you are fitting a rectangle over the sensor, thus leaving some of the pixels in the sensor out.

This is how things work. For example, the iphone 5 "8MP" sensor's max image size is 3264 x 2448, which is acualy 7.8 MP

At any rate, 38 MP images are at least 4x more pixels than you need 🙂

Former Employee

• 

229 Messages

11 years ago

Hey there, 

Can you post some examples of the picutres you shot with your Lumia? Unless you're shooting billboard sized images or bigger, you should be seeing some great results with the Lumia's very impressive camera. 

If you post some of the shots, I might be able to recommend some ways to salvage them. 

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

@hawlyns711 wrote:
I lied to my best friend guaranteeing him a 41 MP shot for his wedding...low and behold I upset him with my inability to do just that!

I hope to God that they're not paying you to be their wedding photographer if you're relying on your phone to take the pictures. Heck, even if you're doing it as a favor, if you are their main photographer, you may want to rethink that date.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you this answered my question. Just some friend's shots in their wedding and nothing major. I'll have to blow some pics up on my desktop and see for myself. Makes sense they're not round.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

One of my coworkers better explained it to me..it has to do with the "effective" megapixel area for the camera sensor compared to the "actual" megapixel area for the camera sensor. They use the cut out areas for calibrating the dark and light colors. Most cameras, like some good nikons, have approximately less than 1% of a lost sensor area where for some reason the Lumia 1020 has greater than 3%. Sounds pretty extreme but that's what they had to do to get the 41 MP *ehhem* 38 MP.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The snesor in the 1020 is 7712 pixels by 5360 pixels.  That IS 41,336,320 pixels total.

However, a 7712 x 5360 is not a standard aspect ratio in photography.  The "normal" aspect ratios are usually 16:9 od 4:3.  The 1020 allows you to select either of those.  To acheive either of thos aspect ratios, the image must be cropped (cut off at either the top and bottom or the sides).  With an aspect ratio of 4:3 the image is cropped to 7136 x 5360 which is 38,248,960 pixels (full height of sensor, but cropped at the sides).  The 16:9 aspect ratio is 7712 x 4352 which is 33,562,624 pixels (full width of snesor, but cropped at top/bottom).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.