For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ArcherJP's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 3:04 PM

HTC Tilt 2 MicroSD card - HELP!

My phone is an HTC Tilt 2 (HTC-ST7377) running Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional5.2.21849 (Build 21849.5.0.63).

The phone came with 187.32 MB of Memory.

I have an 8GB microSD card that, for the last 9 months or so, has been used well and recognized easily by the phone.  It has music on it, and some programs like Navigator loaded on it.

I'm sure that some of you have noticed that even if you try to put the phone into hibernate, sometimes something turns it on and it butt-dials, or starts running programs on you (like the web browser..... >.<)  and I'm pretty sure that it was an unintentional pocket-operation that did this.

The phone refuses to acknowledge that I have a SD card in it. 

I can access the SD card when I hook up the phone to my computer via the USB cord, and it still has EVERYTHING on it - but the phone absolutely refuses to acknowledge the presence of the SD card.  Refuses. 

It won't show it when I go to File Explorer.  It won't recognize it when I go to update my music library.  It just won't show it.  At all. 

It DOES say that my 'expansion slot' is "in use".

I've tried a soft reboot.

I've even taken the battery out while it was off, then put the battery back in and powered up the phone (for whatever good that might have done - I doubt it does anything at all, but I figured I'd do  it for good measure). 

HELP ME, please?  What did I accidentally pocket-do?  Because I know I didn't do this consciously!

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

That's the thing - I already COULD access my card via the USB cord.  It was ONLY the phone that wouldn't read it.

But I solved the problem.  Granted, it was similar to the proverbial sledgehammer when all you needed was a tiny tap, but the problem is resolved.  I restored the factory settings.  I lost a lot, but I no longer have the major issues I had with the phone.  Updated the ROM, too, since ... well... what the heck.  Might as well.

I've never run into a problem like this before - and after hours and hours of searching on the net, I don't think anyone else had the same problem.  Similar problems, yes.  The same one?  So far, nope. 

Btw - I hate the new rom for one reason, and one reason only.   The old ROM had a single page of 'applications' that you could edit, picking just the ones you wanted quick-access to, like notepad, bubble blaster, facebook, livejournal, etc.  This one does not, so now I have to hunt down each program I want to use, and memorize where in the phone it's stored.  GAH.  I *will* be changing my phone the next chance I get.

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

THe new ROM updates the HTC TouchFLO interface (Manila 2.0) to Manila 2.5 or "Sense".  Manila 2.5 doesn't have the Program tab.

You can try the user made mod below, to add the Programs tab back into Manila.  At your own risk, I haven't tried it.  Just knew it existed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=674624

Guru

• 

698 Messages

13 years ago

Just a thought- Have you tried taking the storage card out, then powering the phone down, including removing the battery? If not, try that, then reinstall the SD card, and power back up.

Guru

• 

698 Messages

13 years ago

Addendum- If that doesn't work, you might try installing the SD card in a card reader, then hooking it up to your pc, via the USB cable. But your pc, might have a slot itself. In that case, you wouldn't need the reader. The point is...to hook the card up directly to your pc, & not through your device. Then you can look at...or remove...any programs that you might have added, which MIGHT be causing the problem...i.e., systematic troubleshooting. Then reinstall the card in the device, as mentioned in my previous note. Good luck.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

@tgj1945 wrote:

Just a thought- Have you tried taking the storage card out, then powering the phone down, including removing the battery? If not, try that, then reinstall the SD card, and power back up.

Yup, I'd done that.  I'd tried all different sorts of combinations of power downs, battery-removing, SD card removing, etc.  Nothing so simple worked. 

Keep in mind:  With the phone hooked up to the computer via USB, I could STILL ACCESS my SD card.  It was *only* the phone that would not acknowledge the SD card.

Guru

• 

698 Messages

13 years ago

For sake of clarification. What I suggested is different from what you said you did. Taking the card OUT of the phone, and hooking it directly to the pc (via a reader), TOTALLY by passes the phone/device software, and any issues that it may have had. Using this method, you can isolate & troubleshoot items, one by one.

By what you say, you hooked the phone (with the SD card inside) up to a pc, via a USB card.  If so, you were still utilizing some of the device's software/hardware (or synching),  to access the storage card. Even though you could read the card this way, you weren't eliminating or identifying all the potential problems that the phone may have caused.

It's great that you solved the problem. But it sounds like you still don't know exactly what caused the problem?

If you do, would you care to share? Installing a new ROM within itself, doesn't answer what the original problem was.

Referring to your other note, I was playing with WM 7, LG Quantum, the other day. I don't like the way windows ties all the 'social functions' together. You can't just go straight to contacts for example, and edit or add a new one. You have to go through all these steps. I don't care to have Facebook, etc., and everything else, all hooked together under one hub.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Ah, I thought you were telling me to access it via a different medium because you thought I still couldn't access the card, and I was trying to insist that I -could- still access the card.  Ah well, that particular problem is resolved at this point.  The phone can read the card perfectly fine now. 

No, I still don't know why I couldn't read it before.  It was as though to the phone, the folder simply didn't exist.  A bit boggling, I have to admit, and as I needed to use it by this evening, I had to do -something- to get it to work.

Only problem is, now I'm having issues connecting to the internet with it.  I swear, it's never a simple fix with anything I own.  Whole new issue, though, and I'll see if there's anything simple and stupid that I forgot to do during setup that's causing this problem before creating any new forum post for it. 

Regarding the last part of our conversation - I swear to all things I consider holy that computer techs/program writers keep wanting to 'make things easier' for the computer illiterate, but that instead they're just making one gigantic MESS for the rest of us to go through.  Frankly, I wish they'd subscribe to the KISS method and get on with things.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Update:  Apparently, it won't connect to the internet while active-synced with my computer. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but as soon as I unplugged the USB cord, viola!  Internet! 

I really am going to trade this phone in when the contract expires. 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

@ArcherJP wrote:

Btw - I hate the new rom for one reason, and one reason only.   The old ROM had a single page of 'applications' that you could edit, picking just the ones you wanted quick-access to, like notepad, bubble blaster, facebook, livejournal, etc.  This one does not, so now I have to hunt down each program I want to use, and memorize where in the phone it's stored.  GAH.  I *will* be changing my phone the next chance I get.

One page with bunch of application all jumbled together does not sound like a good way to organize them.  Besides, you can go into the Windows folder and organize the application links however you like.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

@ArcherJP wrote:

One page with bunch of application all jumbled together does not sound like a good way to organize them.  Besides, you can go into the Windows folder and organize the application links however you like.

You could pick and choose what applications you wanted on the page.  It wasn't just a whole bunch of them all on the same page.  It was a tab of JUST your favorites.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.