For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Gunite's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, September 11th, 2016 5:39 PM

HP Elite x3

As I realize Windows Phone is last in the promotions department from ATT but does anyone know if they're talking about carrying the HP Elite x3? I'm on the fence about getting that or holding out for the rumoured Surface Phone from Microsoft in 2017.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

The X3 is targeted at business customers.  Originally, there was supposed to be a mechanism in place to only sell to such, but I believe you can pretty much purchase it through standard channels now, no business license or similar is required.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that *if* AT&T decided to carry it, that there's a good chance that they would require you to purchase it through corporate channels (account).

On the other hand, it's available today, and if you want it, I've actually seen it priced under the initial estimates, on some websites, so you have options.

Yeah the Surface phone, I guess we'll see, eh....

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@Gunite My advise, if you want a good Windows 10 Mobile Device today and plan to grab a Surface Phone when available, go the 950/XL route. It'll cost less. That is uUnless the X3 ELite really grabs you. It sounds like you are willing to wait another year if needed. If your current devices is satisfactory that migh be your best personal option.

Since I purchased a 950 XL when released and it stil feels like a new device with the new firmware and OS udpates, I'm good. there isn't enough attraction with the X3 Elite to get me to put down that kind of money knowing I'd use it for a year. That would be three devices in less than two years.Ok that does sound normal for me. But I'm trying to change that.

Since Microsoft Store is taking preorders for the X3 Elite, I'd expect if AT&T was going to carry the device we would have heard something about by now.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

I spoke with AT&T over live chat lost week, and the sales rep confirmed that they are working on adding the HP Elite X3 to their lineup of offerings. They were not able to confirm timing or pricing.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

An update, after speaking with Sales at AT&T:

The HP Elite X3 is being added to the AT&T lineup.  It is currently slated for release "Next Month" (November 2016).  There is still no information regarding packages offered or pricing.

Keep in mind, too, that Microsoft is hosting a hardware-oriented event on October 26, 2016.  While it's a *quite* a longshot, many are hypothesizing that the much-rumored Surface Phone will make an appearance.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@Esthil What is it about the HP X3 Elite that has you looking at it instead of the Lumia 950 or even better 950 XL? I believe they are still the two best Windows 10 Devices released.

But it is good news I guess that AT&T is adding another device to the offering.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@ODad wrote:

@Esthil What is it about the HP X3 Elite that has you looking at it instead of the Lumia 950 or even better 950 XL? I believe they are still the two best Windows 10 Devices released.

But it is good news I guess that AT&T is adding another device to the offering.

@ODad

If there really adding it is the question or was the rep just getting the person off the phone.  CSR's normally dont know when a new phone is coming out.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76I wonder about this too, but there is a lot of "buzz" about the X3, which is weird.  
Over on WindowsCentral and WinBeta you can read about the interest in the X3, and the insanely declining Win Phone, all on the same page (if you read the links), it'd be comical, if it weren't such a bad situation, IMHO.

@EsthilI'm with the other opinions, I think the 950XL is hard to beat, in terms of specs, continuum and value.

Yeah, the X3 is slightly better on some specs, but not as good a camera.  If you're chasing the absolute performance numbers, then the X3 is maybe 20% better, but if you're looking at the overall package, including price, well...

My big concern would be the OS, which is mostly the reason I'm moving away from Win Phone, after having been on that platform since before day one (I was on the pre-sales employee deal for Win Phone 7, and worked on some CE devices before that).

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

To be honest I'll probably grab a 950XL until Microsoft figures out if they're going to make another phone. Neither the 950 nor the 950XL are bad phones by any means. But the Elite has more software capabilities and better specs per se than the other window phones at the moment. If MS doesn't release one I'll be grabbing the HP. I DO NOT see me straying from a Windows Phone at any point, UNLESS Microsoft just drops the whole thing all together. Sorry but it's hard to beat simplicity at it's finest!

As for the Win10 Phone OS I've found it to be very stable by just sticking with the preview release update cycle. Fast is a disaster in one form or fashion for me, it'll fix one thing and just absolutely break three other things in the process. Slow was better but in the end it would ultimately break one thing as it fixed another. So I finally had to find some resolve and stick with the plain preview release. No Regrets, but I always have the feeling like i'm missing out on something new and exciting. 

My gal has had both Android and the glorified Android called the iPhone and just don't like the layout and ease of use of either, I'm the one that did the updates and figuring out questions she had about both of them for her. Sorry but they BOTH suck!

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 I hear you. It seems odd adding a device so late after release of the device.

@Gunite use what you like. That's the great thing about all this. I have Android and Windows 10 Mobile that I carry daily, my preferred device is the 950 XL. 6-months ago I was also carrying an iPhone. I know them all well.  As to dropping the whole thing... that'll not happen. Windows 10 Mobile... it's Windows 10. What you may see in the future is just plain Windows 10 on a device. That'll happen as processor technology continues to evolve. So I wouldn't worry about it. Bottom line, use what you like, others will use what they like. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

@ODadThis article does a better job than I would of laying out the specifics of where the Elite X3 is said to excel: http://www.windowscentral.com/hp-elite-x3-faq

But, the long story short of why I'm looking at this over the 950 XL would be size (much closer to my much-loved 1520), build quality, battery (4150 mAh!), security, the water- and dust-proofing, and its peripheral potentials with the Pogo pins.  Since both devices support COntinuum, neither gets a win in that column.  

I'm someone who tends to get a high-quality device that will last me several years, and from the spec sheet, the HP seems to be much more likely to live up to that than the 950 XL.  That's what I got out of the 1520 - I use it constantly for work, using OneNote, Excel, Word, and Outlook extensively, and having the larger screen and is a huge help for that.  The bigger processor and more RAM certainly don't hurt the argument.

Skype is needed for weekly conference calls, so the better front-facing camera and speakers are a huge plus.

I am concerned about the reports that it does not do as well as the 950 XL in bright light, as I need the phone as a GPS for work travel each week. I'm also not thrilled about losing the Lumia's awesome camera capabilities (not to mention the dedicated camera button).  Otherwise, though, the HP Elite X3 seems to be the better, more future-proofed device for my needs.

@@GLIMMERMAN76, I've now gotten specific confirmation from two different CSRs that it will be added next month, so I am hopeful that I was not just given the runaround.

I've not commited to either device, yet.  I'd like to get my hands on an Elite X3 in-store to see how it actually looks and feels, since I've got a fairly good idea of what to expect from the 950 XL based on my wife's 950 and other's reviews of the device.  Seeing that the X3 is still cheaper than other "phablet" options, and that the Lumia series is being discontinued, I'm leaning toward the X3 at this time.  We'll see in November!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.