Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 11, 2008
7:58:19 PM
Fuze Issues?
Edited by mzshortay on Nov 11, 2008 at 8:03:04 PM
I picked up my Fuze today, right after work, and not to be too surprised that not many people had gotten this phone. It's funny how the employees were all "ohh" about it wishing they had waited instead of buying the other phones. Anywho...

1. I thought it was possible to change the background on the Fuze by default [w/o installing any cab files, etc.]?
  2. Also, when I tried to change things on my today screen, such as putting the device lock on the today screen, it never shows up. When I go back into the settings, the box is unchecked, repeatedly. I can not get this to work.
  3. And I thought when the stylus was pulled out, it was supposed to wake up my device? Is there any settings for this, or what?
  4. Lastly, I know most people don't care, but when I went into the AT&T tab, and selected the Games & Apps folder, it was empty. Is this the same for everyone?

Can my phone be defective? I think this phone is nice, certainly something that I'd have to get used to, but I'm questioning if I rather keep my tilt or not. Help!

Message Edited by mzshortay on 11-11-2008 10:01:49 PM

Message Edited by mzshortay on 11-11-2008 10:03:04 PM
I picked up my Fuze today, right after work, and not to be too surprised that not many people had gotten this phone. It's funny how the employees were all "ohh" about it wishing they had waited instead of buying the other phones. Anywho...

1. I thought it was possible to change the background on the Fuze by default [w/o installing any cab files, etc.]?
  2. Also, when I tried to change things on my today screen, such as putting the device lock on the today screen, it never shows up. When I go back into the settings, the box is unchecked, repeatedly. I can not get this to work.
  3. And I thought when the stylus was pulled out, it was supposed to wake up my device? Is there any settings for this, or what?
  4. Lastly, I know most people don't care, but when I went into the AT&T tab, and selected the Games & Apps folder, it was empty. Is this the same for everyone?

Can my phone be defective? I think this phone is nice, certainly something that I'd have to get used to, but I'm questioning if I rather keep my tilt or not. Help!

Message Edited by mzshortay on 11-11-2008 10:01:49 PM

Message Edited by mzshortay on 11-11-2008 10:03:04 PM
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 12, 2008 4:56:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

mzshortay wrote:
I thought it was possible to change the background on the Fuze by default [w/o installing any cab files, etc.]?
  1. Also, when I tried to change things on my today screen, such as putting the device lock on the today screen, it never shows up. When I go back into the settings, the box is unchecked, repeatedly. I can not get this to work.
  2. And I thought when the stylus was pulled out, it was supposed to wake up my device? Is there any settings for this, or what?
  3. Lastly, I know most people don't care, but when I went into the AT&T tab, and selected the Games & Apps folder, it was empty. Is this the same for everyone?

You can set the wallpaper using the "Settings" tab in TF3D, but that only affects the "Home" screen.  Anything more than that requires changing the theme, which requires a program that isn't installed on the device but can be found on the xda-developers site (and, no doubt, elsewhere).

1. The "Today" settings apply to the native Windows Mobile setup.  If you are using TF3D, it replaces the WM "Today" screen with the tabs you see.

2. Pulling out the stylus wakes up the phone for me.  Did you pull it all the way out?  There's a little switch just inside the mouth of the silo that senses whether the stylus is there or not -- pushing the stylus in depresses that switch.  Yours may have gotten stuck down.  Somebody mentioned freeing it up with a toothpick, or you may want to exchange your unit for another if the switch is defective.

3. I have no idea what might be going wrong with that -- I have more than a screen full of stuff when I select that button on the AT&T tab.
Accepted Solution

Fuze Issues?

[ Edited ]
103 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(103)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 8:16:18 PM
(0)
Mentor
I am having the exact same issues...
I am having the exact same issues...

Re: Fuze Issues?

2 of 104 (10,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 8:32:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
yeah i drove to Dallas today to get my fuze and well lets see.. umm its not working right it keeps freezing and shutting off.. i did a hard reset and it worked for about an hour then started doing the same thing.. you can bet im calling at&t tomorrow to get my replacement in the mail!
yeah i drove to Dallas today to get my fuze and well lets see.. umm its not working right it keeps freezing and shutting off.. i did a hard reset and it worked for about an hour then started doing the same thing.. you can bet im calling at&t tomorrow to get my replacement in the mail!

3 of 104 (10,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 8:45:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Same problems here....My whole tab under programs that should be labeled "messaging" is missing... Mine keeps going to "sleep" while im in the middle of doing something...N if anyone knows the solution on how I can use my ringtone off of my micro sd storage card...that would be soo helpful...
Same problems here....My whole tab under programs that should be labeled "messaging" is missing... Mine keeps going to "sleep" while im in the middle of doing something...N if anyone knows the solution on how I can use my ringtone off of my micro sd storage card...that would be soo helpful...

4 of 104 (10,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 8:49:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
dude this phone is completely full of bugs!
dude this phone is completely full of bugs!

5 of 104 (10,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 8:57:46 PM
(0)
Mentor
I just got off a very lengthy talk with tech support. The woman i talked too actually went to this forum and read some of the stuff in these threads with me over the phone. She said I was only one of a few that have called in about the FUZE so far, but that it had only 'officially' come out today. The CS techs do not have a tech manual on the FUZE yet, even. She advised that I return it and get something else, or gamble my 30 day return for a software update that might come out. As far as CS's go she was very knowledgable about WM devices in general and uber cool, but was unable to solve my problem.

The more I read these threads about certain problems that exactly mirror my issues with this brand new device, the more I wonder if I should wait a few months for the bugs to work out before I get a new FUZE.
I just got off a very lengthy talk with tech support. The woman i talked too actually went to this forum and read some of the stuff in these threads with me over the phone. She said I was only one of a few that have called in about the FUZE so far, but that it had only 'officially' come out today. The CS techs do not have a tech manual on the FUZE yet, even. She advised that I return it and get something else, or gamble my 30 day return for a software update that might come out. As far as CS's go she was very knowledgable about WM devices in general and uber cool, but was unable to solve my problem.

The more I read these threads about certain problems that exactly mirror my issues with this brand new device, the more I wonder if I should wait a few months for the bugs to work out before I get a new FUZE.

6 of 104 (10,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:02:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
where do you live? i didnt know you could talk to tech support this late? do you know the number? if some peoples phones are working im getting a new one sent to me.
where do you live? i didnt know you could talk to tech support this late? do you know the number? if some peoples phones are working im getting a new one sent to me.

7 of 104 (10,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:06:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
1) in the dark, the keyboard illumination is not perfectly even, my number 2 key is really bright.

2) the freaking music stops when you turn off the screen. I want it to be like my iphone so when I click the top button, the phone goes into power save mode but continues to play music, my epix and iphone could both do this.
1) in the dark, the keyboard illumination is not perfectly even, my number 2 key is really bright.

2) the freaking music stops when you turn off the screen. I want it to be like my iphone so when I click the top button, the phone goes into power save mode but continues to play music, my epix and iphone could both do this.

8 of 104 (10,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:11:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

My 8525 does that and I assume the Tilt does that as well.  Sucks when I'm trying to listen to hockey games while at work, I have to lock the device and turn off the auto shut off.

My 8525 does that and I assume the Tilt does that as well.  Sucks when I'm trying to listen to hockey games while at work, I have to lock the device and turn off the auto shut off.

9 of 104 (10,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:16:09 PM
(0)
Mentor
Wow, and to think that AT&T would have tried to work out all these bugs/issues before releasing the phone.
I think I may return mine tomorrow, and possibly wait a while, or just keep my tilt. The phone is nice, but half the things
that intrigued me to buy it, arent even available.

I was hoping I'd have that look that the original HTC Touch Pro has, you know the 'theme' or whateve, or to at least
be able to change it easily. Nope.
The Youtube app never connects, and neither does Internet sharing.

I accidently forgot my reciept at the store, I guess I'll just pick it up and give them this phone back.
So much for picking something up on it's release day. I guess I should have learned from what happened
with the Iphone. Smiley Sad
Wow, and to think that AT&T would have tried to work out all these bugs/issues before releasing the phone.
I think I may return mine tomorrow, and possibly wait a while, or just keep my tilt. The phone is nice, but half the things
that intrigued me to buy it, arent even available.

I was hoping I'd have that look that the original HTC Touch Pro has, you know the 'theme' or whateve, or to at least
be able to change it easily. Nope.

I accidently forgot my reciept at the store, I guess I'll just pick it up and give them this phone back.
So much for picking something up on it's release day. I guess I should have learned from what happened
with the Iphone. Smiley Sad

10 of 104 (10,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:17:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

Caliban007 wrote:

No, at least not my Tilt. I play music and put it to sleep all the time, it always continues to play for me.

Caliban007 wrote:

No, at least not my Tilt. I play music and put it to sleep all the time, it always continues to play for me.

11 of 104 (6,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:30:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
figured it out somewhat, it has to sense headphones in Smiley Happy then it continues to play, I wonder how this will work with bluetooth headphones?

Still kinda bothered by the uneven keyboard illumination, does anyone else have this? If its common I dont mind. lol.

figured it out somewhat, it has to sense headphones in Smiley Happy then it continues to play, I wonder how this will work with bluetooth headphones?

Still kinda bothered by the uneven keyboard illumination, does anyone else have this? If its common I dont mind. lol.

12 of 104 (6,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 9:33:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
Mine is brighter towards the top of the keyboard and then dims down and to the outsides.

Internet sharing is also disabled.
Mine is brighter towards the top of the keyboard and then dims down and to the outsides.

Internet sharing is also disabled.

13 of 104 (6,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 11:51:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
No Blackberry Connect software either.

This is a deal breaker... The unit goes back first thing in the morning.
No Blackberry Connect software either.

This is a deal breaker... The unit goes back first thing in the morning.

14 of 104 (6,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 12:18:07 AM
(0)
Mentor
Add that it constantly disconnects from Activ-sync after about 5 minutes.... Argh! this is frustrating.
Add that it constantly disconnects from Activ-sync after about 5 minutes.... Argh! this is frustrating.

15 of 104 (6,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 12:45:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
Wow. I am really sorry for all of you that are having trouble. I managed to purchase a manufacture version of the touch pro (still having htc themed touchflo and the front facing camera) and i havnt had any issues at all. This is definitely a case of ATT's software messing up the phone and not HTC. Be Patient though if you can. download a new rom from xda-developers cause trust me this device is great witheven the default HTC rom loaded. Att will fix it eventually though. all phones have bugs at first-release from carriers.
Wow. I am really sorry for all of you that are having trouble. I managed to purchase a manufacture version of the touch pro (still having htc themed touchflo and the front facing camera) and i havnt had any issues at all. This is definitely a case of ATT's software messing up the phone and not HTC. Be Patient though if you can. download a new rom from xda-developers cause trust me this device is great witheven the default HTC rom loaded. Att will fix it eventually though. all phones have bugs at first-release from carriers.

16 of 104 (6,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 4:06:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
Flawless. Just sayin
Flawless. Just sayin

17 of 104 (6,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 12, 2008 4:56:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

mzshortay wrote:
I thought it was possible to change the background on the Fuze by default [w/o installing any cab files, etc.]?
  1. Also, when I tried to change things on my today screen, such as putting the device lock on the today screen, it never shows up. When I go back into the settings, the box is unchecked, repeatedly. I can not get this to work.
  2. And I thought when the stylus was pulled out, it was supposed to wake up my device? Is there any settings for this, or what?
  3. Lastly, I know most people don't care, but when I went into the AT&T tab, and selected the Games & Apps folder, it was empty. Is this the same for everyone?

You can set the wallpaper using the "Settings" tab in TF3D, but that only affects the "Home" screen.  Anything more than that requires changing the theme, which requires a program that isn't installed on the device but can be found on the xda-developers site (and, no doubt, elsewhere).

1. The "Today" settings apply to the native Windows Mobile setup.  If you are using TF3D, it replaces the WM "Today" screen with the tabs you see.

2. Pulling out the stylus wakes up the phone for me.  Did you pull it all the way out?  There's a little switch just inside the mouth of the silo that senses whether the stylus is there or not -- pushing the stylus in depresses that switch.  Yours may have gotten stuck down.  Somebody mentioned freeing it up with a toothpick, or you may want to exchange your unit for another if the switch is defective.

3. I have no idea what might be going wrong with that -- I have more than a screen full of stuff when I select that button on the AT&T tab.

mzshortay wrote:

18 of 104 (6,467 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 4:59:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
I don't have any issues with my Fuze so far, well just one which has affected (for me at least) every windows phone that had voice command which is that when I plug my earphones in the voice command automatically pops up and doesn't quit asking for a command even if I cancel it.  As far as the illumination of the keyboard, mine is brighter in the @ and the 2 but my guess is that this is where is illuminates from so it's common that this will be brighter.
I don't have any issues with my Fuze so far, well just one which has affected (for me at least) every windows phone that had voice command which is that when I plug my earphones in the voice command automatically pops up and doesn't quit asking for a command even if I cancel it.  As far as the illumination of the keyboard, mine is brighter in the @ and the 2 but my guess is that this is where is illuminates from so it's common that this will be brighter.

19 of 104 (6,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 5:00:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

mzshortay wrote:

I had that problem with the youtube application, but it started working.

Did you sign up for a tethering plan?  They've changed the settings to prevent people from using Internet sharing without a plan.

mzshortay wrote:

I had that problem with the youtube application, but it started working.

Did you sign up for a tethering plan?  They've changed the settings to prevent people from using Internet sharing without a plan.

20 of 104 (6,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 5:03:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thats the whole point ! With my tilt you dont need a tethering plan...Why should I spend $45 every month just to have this phone ?
Thats the whole point ! With my tilt you dont need a tethering plan...Why should I spend $45 every month just to have this phone ?

21 of 104 (6,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 5:04:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

jimmynotch wrote:

hmmm, I was in the AT&T store yesterday in the financial district of downtown Boston, and they still didn't have the phone (which makes perfect sense that a business phone doesn't show up at a store in the heart of the business district!) But, my sales guy there (who has always done right by me) suggested that even when they get it in I wait about 30 days to get mine. His advice was to always wait a while on the new HTC phones, the initial shipments often have too many defects in them. I've been psyched to get mine, but after hearing this advice and reading this post, I think I'm going to stay with my trusty Tilt for a month or so and let HTC/ATT and everyone work this out.

jimmynotch wrote:

hmmm, I was in the AT&T store yesterday in the financial district of downtown Boston, and they still didn't have the phone (which makes perfect sense that a business phone doesn't show up at a store in the heart of the business district!) But, my sales guy there (who has always done right by me) suggested that even when they get it in I wait about 30 days to get mine. His advice was to always wait a while on the new HTC phones, the initial shipments often have too many defects in them. I've been psyched to get mine, but after hearing this advice and reading this post, I think I'm going to stay with my trusty Tilt for a month or so and let HTC/ATT and everyone work this out.

22 of 104 (6,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 5:15:53 AM
(0)
Master

lee1199 wrote:

Tethering on any data plan other than the ones that include tethering is violating the Terms of Service.  If you've been doing it on your Tilt without a tethering plan, count yourself as one that's been missed in the system.  AFAIK, none of the Personal Data Plans are even provisioned for the isp.cingular APN in order to tether.
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

lee1199 wrote:

Tethering on any data plan other than the ones that include tethering is violating the Terms of Service.  If you've been doing it on your Tilt without a tethering plan, count yourself as one that's been missed in the system.  AFAIK, none of the Personal Data Plans are even provisioned for the isp.cingular APN in order to tether.
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

23 of 104 (6,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 9:15:21 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by climber1872000 on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:16:07 AM
Most of the issues you guys seem to be having are software issues.  Most of these problems, especially the ones causing "lag", can be solved by installing and properly setting up Schap's advanced configuration tool 3.3 the you can get off the XDA Developers site.  Just use Goolgle to find the tool. 

Message Edited by climber1872000 on 11-12-2008 09:16:07 AM
Most of the issues you guys seem to be having are software issues.  Most of these problems, especially the ones causing "lag", can be solved by installing and properly setting up Schap's advanced configuration tool 3.3 the you can get off the XDA Developers site.  Just use Goolgle to find the tool. 

Message Edited by climber1872000 on 11-12-2008 09:16:07 AM

[ Edited ]
24 of 104 (5,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 9:27:36 AM
(0)
Teacher
I highly recommend those that are having lag issues (I was one of them) to download the configuration tool. I have downloaded and have enabled performance 1 and 2 and have seen an incredible difference. You will be happy with the results!!!!!! My only issues that I have yet to solve is the left and right directional pad!!!!!
I highly recommend those that are having lag issues (I was one of them) to download the configuration tool. I have downloaded and have enabled performance 1 and 2 and have seen an incredible difference. You will be happy with the results!!!!!! My only issues that I have yet to solve is the left and right directional pad!!!!!

25 of 104 (5,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 9:37:42 AM
(0)
Voyager
To turn off the fuze, you have to hold down the power button right ? Mine wont turn off :/
To turn off the fuze, you have to hold down the power button right ? Mine wont turn off :/

26 of 104 (5,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 9:50:42 AM
(0)
Explorer
You can get the BBConnect cab here:
http://www.sems.org/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=276

Be sure and use the *.103 version because versions lower than *.100 won't work with WM6.1
You can get the BBConnect cab here:
http://www.sems.org/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=276

Be sure and use the *.103 version because versions lower than *.100 won't work with WM6.1

27 of 104 (5,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 9:56:48 AM
(0)
Teacher
For the record, I've had my Fuze since Monday 11/10 and have none of the issues mentioned.  In fact, other than my data connection not working at first (a call to tech support, some tweaks, and a reboot fixed it), I've had ZERO issues with the Fuze.  I'm loving it.  Beats the crap outta my old 8125.
For the record, I've had my Fuze since Monday 11/10 and have none of the issues mentioned.  In fact, other than my data connection not working at first (a call to tech support, some tweaks, and a reboot fixed it), I've had ZERO issues with the Fuze.  I'm loving it.  Beats the crap outta my old 8125.

28 of 104 (5,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 11:39:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

DRANDERSON918 wrote:

Does that mean you need to upgrade your device to NET Compact Framework 3.5 to get the advanced configuration tool to work?

DRANDERSON918 wrote:

Does that mean you need to upgrade your device to NET Compact Framework 3.5 to get the advanced configuration tool to work?

29 of 104 (5,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 12:01:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
Getting the software isnt really the issue, we all can find it. The problem beyond the software is that ATT has not provisioned the IMEI #'s and PIN #'s of the FUZE units to work on their network to register the devices to make them work with the software.
Getting the software isnt really the issue, we all can find it. The problem beyond the software is that ATT has not provisioned the IMEI #'s and PIN #'s of the FUZE units to work on their network to register the devices to make them work with the software.

30 of 104 (5,839 Views)