Helpful Links

Expandable Storage on Focus?

Teacher

Expandable Storage on Focus?

How has that problem been going, with the Micro SD cards on the Focus? I've been reading articles about how it isn't going well. Also, how high can you expand the memory to, 16gig or 32gigs?

2,261 Views
Message 1 of 10

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?


MolotovMan12 wrote:

How has that problem been going, with the Micro SD cards on the Focus? I've been reading articles about how it isn't going well. Also, how high can you expand the memory to, 16gig or 32gigs?


Below is the info I've been following on another website. As to SD memory size, technically the Focus can except up to 32GB card.

=================

 

 

Confirmed Working(Data remains after soft reset):

Centon
Centon 8GB Class 6

Kingston
Kingston 4GB Class 4
Kingston 16GB Class 4

Microcenter
Microcenter 16GB Class 2

Patriot
Patriot 16GB Class 2

PNY
PNY 8GB Class 4
PNY 16GB Class 2

SanDisk
SanDisk 8GB Class 2
SanDisk 16GB Class 4


Currently Unstable/Unsure:

 

Kingston 8GB Class 4
Kingston 32GB Class 4
SanDisk 16GB Class 2
SanDisk 32GB Class 2

 


Confirmed Not Working(Data gone after soft reset):

A-Data
A-Data 4GB Class 6
A-Data 8GB Class 6
A-Data 16GB Class 6

Lexar
Lexar 16GB Class 6

Transcend
Transcend 8GB Class 6
Transcend 16GB Class 6

Message 2 of 10
Mentor

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?

Hello All,

I own a Samsung Focus with the open MicroSD Card Slot -

Thought I would try adding a 16GB MicroSD Card this weekend -

Purchased a WINTEC filemate microSDHC Flash Card at my local Frys. It is supposed to be a Class 4 (not that that matter according to some) -

Installation went fine no issues - As others have suggested, I loaded the phone up with Email, Facebook, Windows Live ID, APPS, Video, Pictures, and Audio. After a few hours of use the phone began to fail - Following errors occurred -

  1. Phone Hang
  2. APP Hang
  3. Calendar Hang
  4. Music Hang
  5. Rebooting randomly brought the default WP7 menus with no User Settings.

Since I am an avid participant on these and other MS Answers Forums, I thought I'd share the experience.

I would recommend against purchasing the WINTEC filemate microSDHC Flash Card - Part Number 3FMUSD16GBC4-R -

It will likely fail to work as expected on a Samsung Focus -

Best Wishes,

Trav...

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Master

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?

The only card that has zero reported problem is Samsung 16GB card. But that card can't be purchased anywhere other than eBay. All other cards suspect to various problem.

 

So, for Focus owners, don't use any SD card yet (once used in the phone the card will not be useful anywhere else unless you have a Nokia phone handy to format it) until MS or Samsung figures out the issue.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 10
Expert

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?


foxbat121 wrote:

The only card that has zero reported problem is Samsung 16GB card. But that card can't be purchased anywhere other than eBay. All other cards suspect to various problem.

 

So, for Focus owners, don't use any SD card yet (once used in the phone the card will not be useful anywhere else unless you have a Nokia phone handy to format it) until MS or Samsung figures out the issue.


been using the Kingston 32GB since I picked up the phone back in November, got about 20 gb of music and video loaded to it pluase a sync to my exchange server

Message 5 of 10
Master

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?

Yes, but there are plenty of reports about Kingston cards DON'T work. So, it appears luck has much to do with which card work which card doesn't.

 

Since I don't see such wide spread SD card issues reported for other bands (HTC and Dell where owners can open the phone, possible viod the warranty, and replace the SD card), it seems to be a hardware issue for Focus.

Message 6 of 10
Expert

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?


foxbat121 wrote:

Yes, but there are plenty of reports about Kingston cards DON'T work. So, it appears luck has much to do with which card work which card doesn't.

 

Since I don't see such wide spread SD card issues reported for other bands (HTC and Dell where owners can open the phone, possible viod the warranty, and replace the SD card), it seems to be a hardware issue for Focus.


If I understand you correctly, the focus is the only W7 phone that comes with the SD card slot, the others are the primary card. On the developers net it seems it is more a W7 isuse then a phone issue

Message 7 of 10
Master

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?

Yes, Focus does have NAND storage plus SD card. Other phones have SD card only. However, IIRC, those with hacked HTC HD2 to run WP7 doesn't have much problem with mixed storage either. Both Microsoft and Samsung are silent (and actively avoid to answer the question when pushed during MWC) about this issue after 5 months of release of this phone. Something is not adding up. There is no promised certified SD card list (maybe because they can really certify any card due to hardware issue).

 

Anyway, I too hope NoDo update will address this issue but so far there is no indication at all whether or not this will be addressed.

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?

Careful out there - even class-specific cards from same manufacturer may behave differently. Class doesn't measure what matters, so different SKUs may work or not. I tried one of the 'safe' Sandisk Class 2 8Gb cards, and it was unstable.

What's really disappointing is AT&T sells the 8gb card that does work, for $80. A total rip-off.

Message 9 of 10
Professor

Re: Expandable Storage on Focus?

Just to confirm what foxbat said, I know 2 HD2 users that are running WP7 with no problems regarding the mixed storage. You know what'll fixall your problems? Flash WM6.5 onto your devices ;P
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support