Troubleshoot your device issues
sledgas's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Friday, October 24th, 2008 3:31 AM

Closed

Epix Goods and Bads

I've had my Epix for a day now, and generally, I like the device. The finger mouse is pretty cool, the screen is crisp. I don't think that the device is too fat (maybe 1/16" fatter than a BJ1), and it fits my BJ1 holster case, which is a plus.

HOWEVER, there are 3 things that at the moment are driving me crazy. Any thoughts on these are greatly appreciated.

1) I can't find a way to turn off 3G. 3G sucks battery, I don't need it all the time. On my BJ1 I did the BandSel hack and that worked fine. The Epix appears to not have BandSel anywhere on the device. Help!!!

2) How do you next/prev when reading email messages? If I'm reading a message, how the heck do I get to the next or previous message without going back to the message list first?

3) When I'm active syncing, I can see no reason whatsoever for the screen to be on. However, it is. I've got the "backlight while on external power" timer set to one minute. No joy. I did have it turn off once, but it turned back on shortly after that. And, no, I don't have a password set (already saw those notes...)

Thanks for any thoughts, pointers, copies of BandSel for the Epix ;), etc.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

15 years ago

You should also be able to use the File Explorer in Activesync on your PC to find and copy the Admin.exe to the Start Menu folder. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Do you know if the Epix has a setting on it that would cause the text messaging  to use the contact list on my SIM and not my Good Link contacts.
Example: when I start typing  Allen in the to: on a text massage it pulls all of the A's on my SIM card but none from my Good Link contacts.  It  causes me to  have to enter his phone number.

Also when I receive a text from someone it attaches a 1 to the senders number and won't display the name that I have in my Good Link contacts for that person because the 1 is added to it.

Example:  if I get a text from a person who's number is 222-333-4444 it displays 1-222-333-4444. 

I've  looked under programs and  settings and  can't find SIM Manager.  Do you know where it is?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

The power stuff is driving me nuts. The screen just will not shut off. I've set all the backlight settings way down but the LCD and backlight never shut off unless I tap the powerkey.

If I go into setting and set it to "Turn off if not used for" on and set a time it will turn off but that seems to completely turn off the phone so i don't get calls/text/ emails any longer.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

I tried creating a admin.link (20#"\Windows\Admin.exe") notepad file on my PC and then pasting it to my phone and in the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ but I keep getting a error that it can't read it because it wasn'y created on my phone...   Any ideas how to get it on there?

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

15 years ago

2) How do you next/prev when reading email messages? If I'm reading a message, how the heck do I get to the next or previous message without going back to the message list first?

What I did was map the email button and the camera button at the bottom/right of the keyboard to be scroll left and scroll right keys.  Go to Settings > Personal tab > Buttons.  Then remap those keys or others that you prefer.

When you are reading an email, scroll right takes you to the next mail and scroll left takes you to the previous.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Sorry this is so late, but I just recently got this phone.  Apparently there is no SIM manager which is ridiculous being that this phone is a Windows based PDA, but I digress... I'm not sure what you wanted to do with the SIM manager but personally, I wanted to delete all of my contacts off of my SIM card because when I did the sync with my computer, the contacts that were in my Outlook transferred to my phone which created duplicates.  To me, it's better to have the contacts on the device instead of the SIM card because you can give personalized ring tones, assign them a picture, enter their address, birthday, multiple numbers, etc... So, I played around with the phone and figured out how to delete multiple contacts at a time.  The rep I spoke to said you can only delete them one by one, which is not the case.  Just go to your contacts, hit "menu", scroll down to "select contacts", you can choose "several" or "all".  If you click several, just tap on each of the contacts that you want to delete, then go to "menu" and select "delete contacts".  Also, you can select contacts, hit copy contact, and send them to your SIM card if you want them on your card.  It took me less than a minute to delete my SIM contacts!  Much better than deleting one by one!

Scholar

• 

114 Messages

15 years ago

brwnbarbie,

I do not remember exactly how I deleted all my duplicates but you can indicate which duplicates you want to delete in your contact. Before you continue with your Epix, I suggest that you read the SLOG DUMP thread, I have had three of these phones and before you get comfortable you might want to reconsider even though the Epix in my opinion better than the HTC Fuze and the BB Bold ude to windows mobile.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

For those like me with eye site that is less than perfect...I found out quite by accident that if you press and hold the Camera button (bottom right) it becomes a zoom button instead allowing you to zoom in and out.

Former Moderator

• 

1.7K Messages

15 years ago

Thank You for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and due to its date, is now being closed. Should the OP need additional assistance please feel free to open up a new thread.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.