Troubleshoot your device issues
pezman726's profile

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, November 5th, 2013 4:12 PM

Data usage at night

Since I don't have data sense, can someone at AT&T please explain my wife's data usage? 

Below is the usage for the past few days.  We are at home in bed at that time.

For the people that might say, "this is data that is used throughout the day and it is just added that night."  Why then does it have data used throughout the day on other days.  Also, on 11/4 at 2:34am, if that were the case, it would have been the data used on the prior day (11/3)...yet the phone was sitting all day in the house not being used AT ALL.  SOMEONE AT AT&T PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!!  Data Sense MIGHT be able to give me some insight into this...but without it, I'm stuck!  I really need to get onto t-mobile.  Really regretting signing this contract right now.

11/04/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 18585.0 KBs 0.00
11/03/2013 01:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 5836.0 KBs 0.00
11/02/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 461.0 KBs 0.00
11/01/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 5784.0 KBs 0.00
10/31/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 6179.0 KBs 0.00

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

I have decided I am going to run an experiment. I have kept my data connection off all this month...starting tonight, I am going to turn my data on at night before I go to sleep, while keeping my wifi on and everything the same. I will then shut off my data when I wake up, and see what my usage is reported as.

Scholar

• 

167 Messages

10 years ago

Looks like that phantom data usage is now at 2a instead of midnight...  i see the same thing.  Was at home asleep, and wifi/internet didn't go down.

11/02/2013 02:56AM -- Internet/mobile web 998.0 KBs
11/01/2013 02:12AM -- Internet/mobile web 10225.0 KBs
10/31/2013 02:12AM -- Internet/mobile web 102.0 KBs

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

This is a routine update of your daily data activity on your device to ensure the accuracy of your data billing. Customers are not charged for data usage, given that no data session is generated. It's not uncommon for devices that are "always on", to process data event records for billing purposes after a certain amount of inactivity or after long periods of time. It's also separate from how our system lets you monitor your data consumption.

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

This is a routine update of your daily data activity on your device to ensure the accuracy of your data billing. Customers are not charged for data usage, given that no data session is generated. It's not uncommon for devices that are "always on", to process data event records for billing purposes after a certain amount of inactivity or after long periods of time. It's also separate from how our system lets you monitor your data consumption.

but the phone was at home all day connected to a wifi network.  it sat on a desk unused.  the only app on this phone with a live tile is accuweather.  email is set to sync every 30 minutes.  explain 18mb  used.  now with 17 days left on the billing cycle, she has 60mb before overages AGAIN!  if i had datasense i might be able to make sense of the situation...byt becatse at&t stripped it from the os, i am stuch paying an extra $15 for something i had noo control over.IN.

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Also, thank you for the response dmitriy, I appreciate your time, I just don't get what's going on!

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@pezman726 wrote:

Since I don't have data sense, can someone at AT&T please explain my wife's data usage? 

Below is the usage for the past few days.  We are at home in bed at that time.

For the people that might say, "this is data that is used throughout the day and it is just added that night."  Why then does it have data used throughout the day on other days.  Also, on 11/4 at 2:34am, if that were the case, it would have been the data used on the prior day (11/3)...yet the phone was sitting all day in the house not being used AT ALL.  SOMEONE AT AT&T PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!!  Data Sense MIGHT be able to give me some insight into this...but without it, I'm stuck!  I really need to get onto t-mobile.  Really regretting signing this contract right now.

11/04/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 18585.0 KBs 0.00
11/03/2013 01:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 5836.0 KBs 0.00
11/02/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 461.0 KBs 0.00
11/01/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 5784.0 KBs 0.00
10/31/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 6179.0 KBs 0.00

The only way you can be sure that "no data is being used" is to turn off cellular data.

I guarentee you that if you do that, there will be NO data reported overnight.

Otherwise there is no way to know which apps you have installed, or how they use data throughout the day. For very small transactions less thank a KB - such as weather updates, or notifications, etc) these are not reported in real time, but are bundled up.

You can turn off error reporting as well, which can account for large overnight data usage.

Do you have Wifi? Is your phone connected? Is it being charged overnight or not? Off charger, wifi drops and cell data is used when the phone is idle/sleeping.

Scholar

• 

167 Messages

10 years ago

We have been through this before.  My device has error reporting turned off, it stays on the charger all night in the same place, has wifi to stay on even when locked/sleeping.  I have stayed up before into the wee hours of the night connected to my Nook using wifi and still it shows that my WP8 uses cell data.

If somehow this is left over data from a time earlier, why doesn't that happen with my BB9900?

I will work from home all day and it won't leave the house and still I see data used.  How does that happen?

I have turned the unit off completely and still have seen this phantom data usage.

I am stuck on the 2GB plan for this reason..  no way I could go down the way this thing operates.

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

"Do you have Wifi? Is your phone connected? Is it being charged overnight or not? Off charger, wifi drops and cell data is used when the phone is idle/sleeping."

I have WiFi, it is connected, sometimes charging, sometimes not.  Wifi is set to keep alive when idle/sleeping.  Error reporting is turned OFF.

If I had Data Sense, I could take a screenshot before bed, then one after we wake up.  I could see if there is something going on.  I could see the cell usage that happens when connected to wifi.  I could possibly stop whatever process is the offending process.  but because AT&T REMOVED the functionality, I can't.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

This is a known issue and bug in Windows Phone 8 right now. It stems from a major change in how Twitter processes data on the back end and has caused ALL sorts of issues.

Bottom line, Microsoft recommends only syncing once a day until this is fixed. This is in settings and for the baked in Twitter functionality in th OS itself.

Also, this is why any legacy users using the apps are not getting notifications.

You can go to wpcentral.com for more info.

Its not anythng AT&T did, this effects everyone on ALL carriers, BTW.

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

@SoCalBIGmike wrote:

This is a known issue and bug in Windows Phone 8 right now. It stems from a major change in how Twitter processes data on the back end and has caused ALL sorts of issues.

Bottom line, Microsoft recommends only syncing once a day until this is fixed. This is in settings and for the baked in Twitter functionality in th OS itself.

Also, this is why any legacy users using the apps are not getting notifications.

You can go to wpcentral.com for more info.

Its not anythng AT&T did, this effects everyone on ALL carriers, BTW.

I read the article when it first came out...except there are no twitter accounts tied to our devices.  So I wouldn't think this should be affecting her.  As I said, the ONLY live tile she has is accuweather.  She doesn't even have enough apps installed to have generated the letters to separate out the apps when you swipe over.  And her 2 email accounts sync every 30 minutes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.