Posted Nov 20, 2013
12:07:48 PM
View profile
[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 9, 2014 1:03:57 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello everyone, the device unlock policies have changed, and we started a new thread with updated info. Please use click HERE to see the new device unlock policy and please feel free to ask any related questions in there.

This topic is now closed.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
266 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(266)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 5:42:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You should have purchased an unlocked phone. It is AT&T's right to control phones purchased on their network and the unlocking thereof. If a phone locked to AT&T's network is purchased, it is assumed that it will be used on their network, so they expect some income from that phone. Thus the reason for some unlocked phones to be higher priced than the locked ones.
If you had no plan on using the phone on the AT&T network, you should have let the sales person know that and they could have told you that you needed to buy the unlocked version.
When you buy a phone from any wireless provider, it is locked to their network and there are rules that must be followed before the phone is unlocked.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: unlock nokia lumia 520 gophone

91 of 267 (11,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 4:13:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been on ATT for so many years that I cannot even remember how long. My Motorola feature phone (mini SIM card) is deteriorating due to age. 

My wife has a never-been-used GoPhone, but using a SIM card in different format.

I wonder may I have my mini SIM card exhanged for the smaller format and insert into the GoPhone? Will this work?

Re: Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

92 of 267 (11,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 3:34:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

When I moved from my old GoPhone feature phone to my current Lumia 520 smartphone the AT&T person at their store simply copied my old SIM to a new micro SIM then installed it in the new phone. I believe that with a smart phone you need at least a minimum smart phone account, ie. the $25 per month plan listed on this page...

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

"When all else fails, read the instructions..."

93 of 267 (11,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 6:04:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

I bought lumia 1020 at microsoft store website, unclocked device and without contract, now I'm in my country, and for my surprise I need ATT pin code for use, how could be, if I didn't buy at Att store, and I bought at the right way..... Really disappointed! Every 6 months I'm in USA and use ATT prepaid phones, but If I'm not a citizen of course that I don't have any account, and i can't have my pin code????

Re: Unlock Device

94 of 267 (11,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 8:21:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I bought 2 lumia 1520 in Microsoft store last Christmas when i travel to US. But i don't know what exactly No Contract phone mean. When i back to my country and open them, they don't work in my GSM. Then i know that my phone was locked. I don't know what can i do now. I read from unlock request and in this thread, i must wait 6 months to unlock. But i can't activated them so i don't know i can unlock them or not after 6 months :smileysad:.

please help me this case. I can paid more to unlock them by paypal or cc or whatever. They are my gift for my wife in Christmas :smileysad:(

thank for reading!

95 of 267 (11,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 11:32:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi, last week I was on a business trip in USA and purchased a Lumia 520 GoPhone with the intention to use it where I live, in Germany...

My assumption was that 'contract free' means that I would be able to use it with a non-att simcard, not recognizing, that this seems not to be possible?!

Is there any way to get the phone working over here, or can I bin it immediately?

96 of 267 (10,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2014 12:56:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Dear Dmitriy

I am living in India. Two month back when my friend living in USA visited India, gifted me a Nokia Lumia 520 phone with SIM locked (Go Phone). 

I am not able to get it unlocked here. How do I get it unlocked ?

With Regards

Srinivasan Narayanan

97 of 267 (10,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 8:54:31 AM
(0)
Voyager

I received an unlock code fom the portal but I cannot get it to work. It is for a Lumina 520. I followed the instructions but it did not unlock.  What is strange is that the unlock code was the imei #. What can I do.

98 of 267 (10,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 3:01:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 18, 2014 at 7:00:08 AM

Dear Dimitriy

I understand that there are many like me with the same problem.

Is it not possible for AT& T to make it easier atleast for those who have the locked phone & are living outside USA ? What is the benefit AT& T is going to get by not providing the unlocking code ? If it were an US account then it was right on AT& part not to provide the unlocking code.

As an employee of AT& T, I am sure you can take this up with AT&T and provide the code to those living outside USA. We are not able to use the phone at all. What is the point in having a dead phone ?

Please help.

Thanks in anticipation of your action.

Best Regards

Srinivasan

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
99 of 267 (10,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:53:25 PM
(0)
Voyager

hi, i am not resident of usa and i want unlock my nokia lumia who can help me,i can not register on AT&T for chating to techical suport because i have not at&t wireless number

100 of 267 (9,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 9:38:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:17:09 AM

Please help me

I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 (without a contract) from RadioShack ,2980 E 3rd St, Bloomington, IN 47401, United States
 , I am a resident outside the United States, and I have a (at&t) card but is not active, I hope to help me to give me the security code to unlock the device ... Thank you IMEI Number : [edited for privacy]

Please do the needful Help

Regards

Padmanaban 

[ Edited ]
101 of 267 (9,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 9:17:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I Appreciate the fact that carrier should make money off the phone or rental.

However I bought the phone online from Bestbuy and got confused between Unlock and No Contract, not used to the "PrePaid" concept of phones.

Now i have a $ 50 paperweight on my table.

I am okay to activate another number to increase your customer count, however can you ensure i will get unlock once i do so?

kdfederer wrote:
You should have purchased an unlocked phone. It is AT&T's right to control phones purchased on their network and the unlocking thereof. If a phone locked to AT&T's network is purchased, it is assumed that it will be used on their network, so they expect some income from that phone. Thus the reason for some unlocked phones to be higher priced than the locked ones.
If you had no plan on using the phone on the AT&T network, you should have let the sales person know that and they could have told you that you needed to buy the unlocked version.
When you buy a phone from any wireless provider, it is locked to their network and there are rules that must be followed before the phone is unlocked.

102 of 267 (9,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 10:35:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by damtrx on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:19:18 AM

Is was recently in USA on a bussiness trip and i bought AT&T Lumia 520 from Microsoft Store.

The Lady told me that i can use the phone for calls but not for data if i am on a different carrier.

Well i put my sim card i cant use it. The phone is GoPhone and it was not on Contract or something.

"Thanks" to the lady i came back with a brick. It was for my girlfriend that broke her old phone a few days ago.

Is there anyway to unlock the phone ? I heard that AT&T is the worst operator ever but the "no anual contract" and the lady was the key factor to buy the phone. What a mistake!

I have the cash receipt from the store, some AT&T SIM that cant connect in my country and all of the package from the Microsoft Store. If there is some way to unlock the phone ? Shame on the AT&T service and Microsoft Service too . I will never do this mistake again .

[ Edited ]
103 of 267 (9,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 10:53:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello everyone.

I hope that someone can help me with my issue.

I have been in the US with an exchange programme for 4 month. For that time period, I bought an AT&T gophone, the Nokia Lumia 520. I paid 40 Dollars a month for the plan and everything worked fine.

Beeing back in Germany, the phone is switched off because it is locked. I'd love to use it again and unlock it for the use in Europe.

I made an unlock request but got the message that I have not paid 6 month for a positive request. When buying the phone, I have been told that it would be otherwise possible to pay 30 Dollars to unlock the phone.

The phone has been bought in Chicago, N Michigan St and I do not have any contact to a store employee.

Is there any chance to unlock my gophone, the lumia 520?

That would be wonderful. Is there a way to pay a small amount to AT&T and then use it in Germany?

Thank you for your help, Kris

104 of 267 (9,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 7:26:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

Here is how you get your phone unlocked as a current customer under contract.

1. To trigger the ETF you need to either cancel your line or port out your number, if you want to keep it.
2. Pay the final bill including the ETF.
3. As soon as you pay your ETF your device becomes eligible to be unlocked.
4. Request unlock.
5. Once unlocked, port your number back to AT&T postpaid within 59 days.
6. Your previous contract and terms are reinstated and the ETF you paid will be reimbursed.

Why would they make you jump throught all these hoops?

Why not just unlock the phone for international travel in the first place.

Any AT&T Social Media Managers care to comment on this one?

Re: Nokia Lumia 925 and False Promise made by AT&T

105 of 267 (9,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 6:34:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jiakai on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:40:32 AM

I purchased a Nokia Lumia 1020 via Amazon 5 months ago in the U.S, and I paid for the device in full. I have been using it for 4 months in the U.S. and I am currently in China. However, the device is locked by AT&T and could not be used here with local networks.

According to the terms on https://www.att.com/deviceunlock, I am literally eligible for unlocking the device. (The condition "The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full" applies). BTW, I paid more than $600, without a service plan.

However after wating for 3 days, I got an email saying my unlocking request is rejected, and the reason is that the device has not been active for 6 months.

I just could not understand why there is a requirement on the active time for unlocking a fully-paid device. Could anyone give me any suggestion? Thanks!

How to unlock my Nokia Lumia 1020?

[ Edited ]
106 of 267 (8,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 10:15:10 AM
(0)
Voyager

Sorry, I write through a translator. I am not alone and it's sad. Legally bought on eBay phone Nokia Lumia 520 AT&T, I didn't know that it's locked. In Russia things are different. Nokia cannot be locked to an operator. Return cannot be sold wrote the truth. AT&T with my money still does not receive, in Russia I can't use AT&T. I have written guidelines, do not know their email. Please help what to do? Bought this phone, because only he had money.

Re: Как разблокировать Nokia Lumia 1020?

107 of 267 (8,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:08:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by kookooo on Feb 1, 2014 at 4:23:04 PM

I own a Samsung Focus 2 outright and am past the 6 month limit. Technicians were supposed to help me unlock it so that I could use it in teh UK where I was transfered by my work. Instead they never came through and now I'm here and cannot use the phone. I am hesitant to buy a new phone because I already own one but it is causing me serious issues: I spent $10 in change trying to call my ride from the aiport. I was unable to communicate with my spouse back home during the apartment hunt and that caused major issues. Worst of all there was an unexpected medical emergency back home that I was unaware of for hours because of AT&T's refusal to honor their policy and unlock my phone. Now I am in the UK and cannot call AT&T any more as far as I know. There is no information online that I can find (att.com doesn't even work here) and the device unlock page is broken. Can someone please get in touch with me asap? This is causing huge problems and is pretty much making it impossible for me to ever do any business with AT&T again.

My number is 410-323-XXXX but I won't receive calls now. I'm really not even sure how to have you contact me as I don't want to post my email address on a public forum. Is it safe to post the IMEA number? Or is there a way to get it to someone who can FINALLY fix this ridiculous issue??

Need update on unlock request

[ Edited ]
108 of 267 (8,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:12:28 AM
(0)
Contributor
FYI: EVERY time I try to use the Unlock page with my correct info I get this message:

Our system has encountered an unexpected error. Please try your request again.

And that was from the US and the UK. I wasted so much time on the phone with AT&T before I left trying to solve this that I forgot my passport and had to turn after heading to the airport. Given the number of complications from an overseas work relocation wasting time on this stupid issue has been an unbelievable hassle.

Re: Need update on unlock request

109 of 267 (8,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:16:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
And just so you know, a service rep was supposed to call me the day before I flew - she said that she was setting up an appointment to call. Never did. And I was supposed to receive an email updating me to the request since I can no longer receive texts. Never did. At&t come on!

Re: Need update on unlock request

110 of 267 (8,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 12:50:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 1, 2014 at 2:00:32 PM

Legally bought Amazon.com phone Nokia Lumia 520 AT&T

I didn't know that it's lockedIn Russia I can't use AT&T.

Please help what to do? 

imei ******

[edited for privacy]

Need unlock code

[ Edited ]
111 of 267 (8,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 9:59:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 1, 2014 at 10:11:57 PM

Hello there,

I bought Lumia520 Go phone from Amazon.com. I live in India. I have activated the wireless service through online. My wireless no is ****. please help me to unlock my phone. I can pay extra for the unlocking.

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
112 of 267 (8,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 12:13:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I received a letter -

We cannot complete your request for the following reason:

• The information provided does not match the information on the account.

What does this mean and what to do for unlocking?

Re: Need unlock code

113 of 267 (8,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 12:02:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Dmitiry

I have paid full for my Nokia Lumia 1520 (pre-ordered) on Microsoft website and i got the phone since two months. Now i am hearing that I cannot unlock my phone  but as per the conditions for unlock, i did paid my device in full. I am not a US resident and I never had ATT service etc, so why i am penalized for it, even though I paid in full.

Please help, my 650$ phone is a glorified PDA for me at this moment.

regards

Harry

Re: Unlocking Nokia Lumia 920 and Bad Customer Service

114 of 267 (8,537 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 12:52:41 PM
(1)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Feb 3, 2014 at 12:55:33 PM

Hello,

Unlock requirements can be found here. Unfortunately at this time AT&T can only unlock phones for its current or former customers and after the phone is paid off.

Additionally, not all phones may qualify for an unlock. A request can be submitted online using the link above.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Re: Unlocking Nokia Lumia 920 and Bad Customer Service

[ Edited ]
115 of 267 (8,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 2:09:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:19:02 AM

Hai I am a frequent US visitor having some friends in US. Last time when I came there My friend gifted me a Nokia Lumia 520 phone with AT&T GO Sim. Now I returned to India and when I tried to use the Phone it is Carrier Locked. I have submitted a request in AT&T Device unlock portal with the Wireless number, (I think Alexandria City, Virginia State) I have been alotted. Is there anyway I can get it Carrier Unlocked from India?

Thanks,

Saravana

[Edited for privacy.]

Nokia Lumia 520 GO Phone Carrier Unlock

[ Edited ]
116 of 267 (6,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 5:55:14 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:18:23 AM

Hello i have phone it from US Ohio. i need to use this phone Nokia Lumia 520 IMEI: {***} locked to AT&T Go Phone please send me a unlock code please reply me on {***}

[Edited for privacy.]

[ Edited ]
117 of 267 (6,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 8:18:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Should be able to get it unlocked in India.
But check with your carrier in India and see if the phone work first.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Nokia Lumia 520 GO Phone Carrier Unlock

118 of 267 (6,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 7:56:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
So I can unlock the Carrier from India through AT&T Customer service? or any other private means? I tried to put an Airtel SIM Card and it asks some PIN.

119 of 267 (6,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 7:52:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Private means. I assume your phone is fully paid.
If PRIVATE means cost you more than calling AT&T,you can always try calling customer service from India.

120 of 267 (6,566 Views)