[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

ACE - Professor

Re: Unlocking Nokia Lumia 920 and Bad Customer Service

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 30 of 267
Community Manager

Re: Off contract Lumia 920 unlock

The reason I asked if you had an account with AT&T is because one of the requirement for an unlock is that the person requesting it must be a current or former AT&T customer:

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full. (meaning it was purchased off contract or the contract is completed by AT&T customer, or device is paid off under Next program)
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

The only thing you can do is call 1-800-331-0500 and check if there is anything else that can be done, but unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 31 of 267
Teacher

Policy change or not, you can't deny the facts. I unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 using AT&T's device unlock webpage. None of these 2 phone met the requirements, they were both well within the 2 year contract.

I since upgraded and I am unable to unlock the new phones. Joan Marsh, AT&T’s VP of Federal Regulatory policy stated earlier this year that postpaid customers are allowed to have their devices unlocked as soon as 60 days into the service agreement, though these requests are usually reserved for international travelers.

There is only one way to wake up AT&T's Executive Response Team, file a complaint with the BBB and more importantly the FCC. While on the phone with an International Care Rep I was offered international data at $120 for 800MB, that is over $700 for 5GB, which will cost around $30 with a local SIM in Europe. Wake up AT&T, there are people in this country with basic math skills.

Message 32 of 267
Contributor

Unlock Nokia 520 gophone

I was in USA as a tourist and bought a phone AT&T gophone. Now that I'm in my country, it is possible to unlock it and use it free outside your network

Thanks

Message 33 of 267
Community Manager

Re: Unlock Nokia 520 gophone

Hi, giovamata!

I just wanted to let you know that I received your private message and replied. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 34 of 267
Community Manager

Hello balajikrishnan,

One of the requirements on the phone unlock portal is that the phone has to be paid for in full, that means either up front, by paying off AT&T NEXT balance or by completing a 2 year contract. You can contact our social media care team with any questions by clicking here. A member of our team will be happy to review your options with you.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 35 of 267
Teacher

Thanks for confirming what we stated above, Dmitriy, I successfully unlocked 2 phones on 8/1/2013 that were not paid in full and were still under contract, one for another 13 months, the second for 9 months.

I have the Request# for both unlocks.

So what changed between 8/1 and now, if not the policy?

Message 36 of 267

Hi Dimitri,

We have both of our iPads on a pay-as-you-go 4G data plan with AT&T -surely I'll be considered an AT&T customer and be given an unlock code for off-contract phone I've purchased, correct?
Message 37 of 267
ACE - Professor

Carioca_FL wrote:
Hi Dimitri,

We have both of our iPads on a pay-as-you-go 4G data plan with AT&T -surely I'll be considered an AT&T customer and be given an unlock code for off-contract phone I've purchased, correct?

Did you try requesting one?
 The only time where you'd have an issue with an "off contract" phone is if it is still in the first 6 months of release and it's an AT&T exclusive phone model.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 38 of 267
ACE - Professor

TX6shooter wrote:

So what changed between 8/1 and now, if not the policy?

Enforcement of the policy.

Message 39 of 267
Voyager

Re: Unlock Lumia 520 :(

Is there anyway to pay the full amount of the phone at once and get it unlocked? I mean the price of the phone as I knew was $99.99 (GoPhone). If the real price of the phone is paid to AT&T can I get it unlocked?

Message 40 of 267
Teacher

Unfortunately international travellers are caught up in this "Enforcement" as well, who according to AT&T’s VP Joan Marsh used to be able to get an exception.

Instead, now we are being offered international voice and data plans at a cost that is not only not competitve, it is an insult.

Message 41 of 267
Contributor

Re: Unlock Nokia 520 gophone

USA Info: Here is the lastest info on this question for US based customers and not just for the 520.

AT&T customer service will NOT provide unlock codes over the phone anymore. You have to use this webform. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ If you have a go-phone and you've owned it less than 6 months you can NOT obtain the unlock code. It doesn't matter if you've had an AT&T account for 3 years, it is how long you have had the handset. The AT&T stores also have been told not to give out unlock codes. They tell you to call Cust Service, who then tell you to use the form. Also there is not a paid service available that can unlock the 520, all currently show 'NOT Currently available' and others say, you have to obtain permission from the carrier before they can unlock, which is useless since if you have permission, you don't need a middle man unless you like throwing $ away. Bummer, I need to go to France and will just have to buy a crappy used unlocked phone off ebay.

Message 42 of 267
Contributor

Re: Help / Unlock Nokia Lumia 520

AND if it is GO-Phone you have to own the 520 for 6 months before you qualify for an unlock.

Message 43 of 267
Contributor

Unlocking Nokia Lumia 920

Hi guys,

I have an unlocked Lumia 920 but it stops working, so Nokia will send me a replacement one. The thing is Nokia cannot unlock that phone. I'm not an AT&T customer so is there anyway that I can unlock the replacement phone? 

Thanks for your time.

Message 44 of 267
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support