Troubleshoot your device issues
ATTDmitriyCM's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 8:07 PM

Closed

[Closed] Nokia Lumia unlocking questions and discussion (All models)

Please use this thread for any questions or discussions related to Nokia Lumia devices unlock requests (all models).

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello. My friend from Russia recently visited US as a tourist. In Microsoft Store he bought a no-contract AT&T phone, which, as a seller assured him, should work fine with russian provider. So when he came back home in Russia, he found that the phone is locked and requires a 20-digit pin code. So he ask me to try to help him in this situation. I have a receipt copy, IMEI number and serial number. Microsoft support evades the answer on the straight question why the seller didn’t explain the necessary of going to ATT office for unlock procedure.

Thanks

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Based on that info, it seems the device can't be unlocked. I'd attempt to return the device for a refund. You can order unlocked Nokia phones from any number of online retailers. You're looking for the word "Unlocked" in the description. The words "AT&T" will NOT appear on the phone, box, or description.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the difference between an unlocked device and a no-contract AT&T device. The latter *is* still locked to AT&T, it's just sold without a contract.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I beg your pardon. We were able to unlock our previous ATT Windows phone after 6 months. Now I'm being told that the full contract commitment must be met before the phone is unlocked -- that means that when I travel overseas, I'm FORCE to use a phone that may be almost FOUR YEAR OLD -- Two years on the orginal contract  for the old phone and TWO years for the new phone on the new contract...  Who keeps an old phone around??? When I purchased my Lumia 920 the unlock period was the orignal 6 MONTHS, now I'm told that THEY  have right to unilaterally change the contract terms so that the unlock periond is the full two year..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi guys i got a quick question i just won yesterday a nokia lumia 1020 in microsoft store here in miami but i dont have ATT and i would like to use it, knowing the fact that the phone is paid in full i would like to request for the unlock code.

You guys know what should i do...

Thanks for everything, best regards

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi there Mariana,

I've just sent you a privae message

Please help

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, Forro005!

Thanks for posting. I have received your private message, and I'll be replying shortly.

-Mariana

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

I bought the phone 1 week old to use the internet on vacation, but now I'm in Brazil and would like to use it here.

The phone is pre-paid and I'm not able to unlock the site.

IMEI

[Edited for privacy.]

What do I need to unlock and use the device with a carrier of Brazil?

Thank You

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

It's amazing how everyone can find this forum after they buy a phone that they intend to immediately unlock, but neglect to search for it beforehand to see if they will be able to unlock their phone.

Anway, the answer is in the link above.

"

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    • a current AT&T customer
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment:Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:
    • Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
    • Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.
    • Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee
  • Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
  • Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months."

See that last bit? Where you have had the prepaid phone active for 6 months? That's probably going to be your sticking point.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I completely disagree with that reasoning.  When you buy a house, you can do what you want with it, even though you still carry a mortgage.  Why is it so different about mortgaging a phone?  I feel that if AT&T provided a great service, they wouldn't be threatened by people switching carriers.  I got absolutely no discount when I purchased this phone, in fact I feel like At&T ripped me off and I will remember that once I am mortgage free on this phone.  Shame on AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

How do I unlock the Nokia Lumia 520,if I ran out of the contract and at the expense of nothing? I can't call and send SMS as living in another country where there is no connection att ,and this phone is bought on ebay. How can I be and what to do?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.